British Speedway Forum
Midland Red

Speedway Gp In Tatters !

Nothing to do with their staging fees then, or levels of financial support to ship competitors and officials halfway around the world?

If the support was there it would be worth IMG giving financial support but it's not. They aren't a charity organisation. Nobody with any business sense is going to host an event that will lose money if they have a choice.

If the support was there it would be worth IMG giving financial support but it's not.

Then why did they schedule a GP in Australia?

Nobody with any business sense is going to host an event that will lose money if they have a choice.

BSI are happy for others to lose money though... :rolleyes:

BSI are happy for others to lose money though... :roll eyes:

WHY would BSI be happy for others to lose money? Please explain why they would want people to lose money. That doesn't make sense.

Then why did they schedule a GP in Australia?:

For the same reason you try anything once. You could also ask why did anyone in Australia agree to stage it if, as you say, the fees were so high and the financial support wasn't there.

BSI are happy for others to lose money though... :roll eyes:

WHY would BSI be happy for others to lose money? Please explain why they would want people to lose money. That doesn't make sense.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm - I wonder how much it costs to transport Riders, Mechanics and Equipment to Oz???

Do BSI/IMG pay the Costs???

I just wonder..........................

If they don't - then that is why Riders are losing money.

Though have to say I'm puzzled at this sudden trend by posters on here to start describing the old system as riddled with corruption, thrown races etc. Really..? I think these are slurs people should be careful to repeat especially as no-one's backing them up with any facts!

Think there are a number of well documented cases.Ask Norbold.There was even one case of a rider failing to get his World Title because he actually refused to bung a rider a few quid(i think he turned down the offer if i remember rightly)and got beat in his last heat

Think there are a number of well documented cases.Ask Norbold.There was even one case of a rider failing to get his World Title because he actually refused to bung a rider a few quid(i think he turned down the offer if i remember rightly)and got beat in his last heat

I agree there are many many cases of 'reported' misdemeanors of this type, and certainly more is being revealed as time passes and people feel more able to speak candidly about the past. But it will be down to personal recounts of individual's memory; perhaps sometimes with the corroboration of others telling the same story ...BUT I don't think you'll find even ONE that could be described as 'well documented' ... that would be really foolish.

The losses incurred by the host of the Sydney GP are well documented. How much did BSI contribute to the extra costs of staging a GP Down Under?

I agree there are many many cases of 'reported' misdemeanors of this type, and certainly more is being revealed as time passes and people feel more able to speak candidly about the past. But it will be down to personal recounts of individual's memory; perhaps sometimes with the corroboration of others telling the same story ...BUT I don't think you'll find even ONE that could be described as 'well documented' ... that would be really foolish.

Do you not consider front page headlines on The Sunday People, leading to an enquiry which in turn led to a one year ban for Simon Wigg as well documented? :blink:

Edited by ImpartialOne

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm - I wonder how much it costs to transport Riders, Mechanics and Equipment to Oz???

Do BSI/IMG pay the Costs???

I just wonder..........................

If they don't - then that is why Riders are losing money.

AS far as NZ is concerned: each rider has four return tickets supplied by BSI/IMG, plus accommodation (three rooms) and all equipment will be air-freighted out and back

The losses incurred by the host of the Sydney GP are well documented. How much did BSI contribute to the extra costs of staging a GP Down Under?

I HAVE no intimate knowledge of the contract between the then BSI management and David Lander but there were a number of reasons why what turned out to be a one-off event wasn't viable. Certainly the unseasonably cold weather on the night and the fact that it was live on Australian TV (which won't be the case in NZ) were contributing factors. As were the size and cost of the venue.

However, the reason why both BSI/IMG and Bill Buckley wanted a longer term contract for Auckland is that many of the costs (especially the purchase of and laying of the track) can be amortised.

But, to go back to your previous assertion, BSI weren't happy that Lander lost money. Why would they be? Had he made money they would certainly have returned the following year, albeit at a smaller stadium nearer to the centre of Sydney. That was already in the pipeline.

Do you not consider front page headlines on The Sunday People, leading to an enquiry which in turn led to a one year ban for Simon Wigg as well documented? :blink;

No.

I would never regard an article in the Sunday People being apt for the epiphet 'well documented', on any subject.

A journalist gained the confidence of a few riders who gave verbal accounts of certain indcidents and he reported that in the paper.

That does not make it 'well documented'.

Only a small number of the allegations in the 'Sunday People' ever got as far as a tribunal. And only a very small fraction of the their story was ever proven. Most could not stand up to any scrutiny whatsoever.

Some may have been true but it will always be difficult to know just one person's word and not, in fact, 'well documented' at all.

My point was not that these incidents have never happened - I believe they have on many occasions. But they are just 'brown enevlope' jobs and can only be known aboout when people write books and make DVDs in their dotage; and they choose to let in some light on this shady world.

But it can only ever be unsubstantiated hearsay, now, and none of it was ever 'well documented' at all.

Edited by Grand Central

No.

I would never regard an article in the Sunday People being apt for the epiphet 'well documented', on any subject.

A journalist gained the confidence of a few riders who gave verbal accounts of certain indcidents and he reported that in the paper.

Only a small number of the allegations in the 'Sunday People' ever got as far as a tribunal. And only a very small fraction of the their story was ever proven. Most could not stand up to any scrutiny whatsoever.

SORRY ... but I sat through every session of the Tribunal, day after day. Much was proven...

Some may have been true but it will always be difficult to know just one person's word and not, in fact, 'well documented' at all.

My point was not that these incidents have never happened - I believe they have on many occasions. But they are just 'brown enevlope' jobs and can only be known aboout when people write books and make DVDs in their dotage; and they choose to let in some light on this shady world.

But it can only ever be unsubstantiated hearsay, now, and none of it was ever 'well documented' at all.

No.

Well, for one, I recall a news report at the time where Chris Morton was interviewed and he openly admitted it went on, adding that "To my mind, there is nothing wrong with it (bribery)".

Secondly, not that this is proof to you but I have seen it take place with my own eyes so I can definitely say it goes on, or should I say, has gone on in the past.