British Speedway Forum
Midland Red

Speedway Gp In Tatters !

WEMBLEY doesn't have a roof ...

Nope and it never did for the World Finals of 1936-60, '62, '63, '65, '67, '69, '72, '75, 78 & '81...! As I recall none of these got rained off did they..?!!

WEMBLEY doesn't have a roof ...

So ? because of that would theyre be a noise issue? or are you worried about getting wet?.Wembley for me, i am sure could be a option they are looking for every money making scheme going .American football, concerts,the pitch gets relaid every two minutes there ,but are bringing in alot of revenue.Maybe it might not happen for a while well worth looking into?Maybe even rival the G.P with all revenue going back into British speedway everyone a winner not just individuals having all the cake just a thought a?

BUT they didn't have to lay a track at the old Wembley, just tart up the one that was permanently there.

Of course they are worried about 'getting wet' as you put it. Why take the risk when there is such a fantastic facility as the Millennium Stadium ready and willing to stage speedway and a town like Cardiff which has much more going for it than the neighbourhood in which Wembley is situated.

BUT they didn't have to lay a track at the old Wembley, just tart up the one that was permanently there.

Of course they are worried about 'getting wet' as you put it. Why take the risk when there is such a fantastic facility as the Millennium Stadium ready and willing to stage speedway and a town like Cardiff which has much more going for it than the neighbourhood in which Wembley is situated.

Cardfiff is a city,has been for years :wink::P

Goodness, Phil...! Think back to when we did have the WF at Wembley..: how would you have reacted to the suggestion, oh, we're going to stop using this venue in London and go to, er, Cardiff instead!!

Wembley is in LONDON... - you know London? One of the greatest cities in the world and one of the most visited by tourists! Funny how all those tourists don't share this view that Cardiff's a better place!! And you're very behind the times about the facilities around the Stadium itself..

Besides which what would be wrong with an English GP at Wembley or the OS and a Welsh GP at the MS? Throw in Hampden Park for a Scottish GP too!

Rival it have both,?theres room surely someone like Barry Hearn would make a killing if he came in and used all his vast Knowledge of business.By the way Philip is Cardiff set in stone for ever now i am convinced Wembley could out do Cardiff even though Cardiff is a nice place shopping centre ect].

Cardiff having more going for it than London you are joking?you wouldnt spend the day around the neighbourhood would you.

Nope and it never did for the World Finals of 1936-60, '62, '63, '65, '67, '69, '72, '75, 78 & '81...! As I recall none of these got rained off did they..?!!

In those days, the fans would just have got wet. These days there's television schedules to think about, and as BSI derives a significant proportion of its income from that, they've obviously got to take that into consideration.

That said, the 1992 World Final was interrupted by a huge downpour, and they still managed to complete it after they brought in a fire engine to pump off the water.

Think back to when we did have the WF at Wembley..: how would you have reacted to the suggestion, oh, we're going to stop using this venue in London and go to, er, Cardiff instead!!

Was it Jack Rollin who was working for the Speedway Star at the time, who famously objected to the World Final being moved anywhere but Wembley?

Er, but the Millenium Stadium itself is for a "rectangular sport" and no probs laying a temporary track there!!

Errr.. yes, but that's because the pitch was deliberately laid on pallets that could be moved. I suspect the likes of Wembley and Twickenham would be more reticent about having their hallowed turf damaged.

Errr.. yes, but that's because the pitch was deliberately laid on pallets that could be moved. I suspect the likes of Wembley and Twickenham would be more reticent about having their hallowed turf damaged.

Twickenham certainly would but the Wembley authorities..? Nah not a chance, they'd hire it out for anything..!

Sounds a tad greedy!

The British open at White City[ Sigalos took Nielsen from the back]? was a one off maybe Wembley could be the same again.Why not i think alot of people who support the GPS havent even seen it from the other side.What they no now, is all they no, that,s why i am a bit surprised with Philip,s attitude.He has vast knowledge and of course i respect his opinion but he is not that flexible.Wembley i believe could be rented i think someone with expertise and capital would do very well.Is there anybody who thinks maybe a one off event individual whatever could not attract 40,000?

If not Wembley, what about Twickenham ?

Probably about as much chance as holding it in the Royal Albert Hall

If not Wembley, what about Twickenham ?

Midland Red anywhere, if i new that the money say 60/40 was going back into British speedway[60per cent speedway] would that be great,