British Speedway Forum
Midland Red

Speedway Gp In Tatters !

YOU have heard the true story about Gelsenkirchen a million times but you choose not to believe it so it is hardly worth raking over again.

After such an experience neither side was falling over themselves to try again and, in fact, a change in the stadium management between years one and two had already moved the goalposts if you will forgive the pun given the stadium's prime purpose. But even if the stadium had been willing to welcom speedway back it would have been impossible to fully exorcise the ghosts of the previous year and regain the publics's trust.

That remains a problem at Ullevi which has had more than its fair share of weather problems and why many remain wary of going there. Which is why the new covered stadiums in Stockholm are so attractive.

However, a lot of research has gone into the preparation of temporary tracks, the ideal mix of materials has been established as has how the dirt needs to be stored in a climate controlled environment. Lessons were learned from Gelsenkirchen although the conspiracy theorists probably prefer to believe otherwise.

There should be new rule.

Ban likes of Crump,Hancock,Gollob,Holta,Zetterstorm from GP's.

Only 30 and under.

If this is a joke, you'll need a punchline. Otherwise, you win 'ridiculous post of the day' award.

Lessons were learned from Gelsenkirchen although the conspiracy theorists probably prefer to believe otherwise.

I'm fairly sure that I actually read about the rumours of the German GP moving to Bydgoszcz in the Speedway Star before it happened, so if anything started the conspiracy theory, it was probably that. :rofl:

I'm well aware of how a series of coincidences can seem like a pre-mediated plan in hindsight, but it's hardly in the realms of UFOs that BSI had some some concerns over the shipping and storage of the track materials that might have led to contingency plans drawn up.

I won't be convinced that Cardiff is easier than Wembly to get to,you can fly in from anywhere to London,Stanstead is ideal for many flights too,but Cardiff has the "cafe culture" which many people go for and the bars etc,many wouldn't go if it were not for this,I used to go most years because of the whole package,I havn't gone the last few years as. I did find that the meeting itself didn't give me a buzz like it did

Mind you I sure don't miss getting ripped off by the hotel owners,paying over the odds for a drink,£70+ petrol and over 4 hours to get there (and back with a hangover!) though but then that's my scenario,everyone's differs,having said that Wembley doesn't have all the community hub like Cardiff and while Cardiff works do well the risk of change would surely be a huge gamble

Apologies for going back a bit,just my thoughts

Edited by Gearhead

I won't be convinced that Cardiff is easier than Wembly to get to,you can fly in from anywhere to London,Stanstead is ideal for many flights too,but Cardiff has the "cafe culture" which many people go for and the bars etc,many wouldn't go if it were not for this,I used to go most years because of the whole package,I havn't gone the last few years as. I did find that the meeting itself didn't give me a buzz like it did

Mind you I sure don't miss getting ripped off by the hotel owners,paying over the odds for a drink,£70+ petrol and over 4 hours to get there (and back with a hangover!) though but then that's my scenario,everyone's differs,having said that Wembley doesn't have all the community hub like Cardiff and while Cardiff works do well the risk of change would surely be a huge gamble

Apologies for going back a bit,just my thoughts

I am the same Gearhead i live 2 hours away and ive been twice, but the racing hasnt been great and like you said it isnt cheap when you add it up.A big event though and it keeps British speedway in the spotlight which is good.

I 'only' live 2-3 hours from Cardiff (and actually my 'other place' is one of the few cities that have a direct flight to Cardiff). However, it involves a drag down a congested motorway, paying the outrageous bridge toll, and then having to park in some distant car park because there's no parking at (or anywhere near) the stadium itself. No problem, go by train instead, but then you'd better forget about getting home after the event.

I agree the m4 though Newport is shocking (any road in Newport is, the whole city is a rubbish hole) and yes the French charge you a whole £6 to get in (have a couple of pints less or buy your ticket in the day saving a booking fee) but the car park? You're joking right? There's one a 100 foot from the main entrance and another do many others within half a mile. Not to forget park and ride. It's the centre of Cardiff ffs! It's £5 for a days parking on the council pay and displays too, I don't know a city that's that cheap (infact it more than makes up for the £6 you give to the French to enter Wales)

I don't even use Cardiff Car parks and I know where they are! I guess I'll just leave the car at home and stroll into the centre when I wake up GP day (the joys of living more or less in the stadium shadows!)

How anyone can criticise Cardiff I'm not sure. What do you want/need that Cardiff or the surrounding areas don't have? Drinking, shopping and sleeping withing a 5 minute drunken stumble of your seat (unless your on bend 2 or the back straight, then it's about 8 minutes). Cinema? 2 within 10 minutes another 20 minute stroll down into the Bay where Dr Who fans can oragasm all day. If you don't want a 20 minute stroll try about 5 minutes on the boat seeing Cardiff by river as you go (I'll give you a wave as you sail by too). Want to go go karting? Less than a 10 minute walk from the stadium. Want a beach? 10-15 minutes in the car. Airport? Bristol 45 minutes, Cardiff 15-20 by car/bus. Train station 2 minutes away. Ice rink and massive pool "in the Bay" (they claim it is, I'd suggest it's not, only those too poor to afford to live in the real Bay claim its the Bay but meh!) and for those who like sailing and water sports theres plenty of that too. We even have McDonald's, Burger Kingd and an Ikea!!

What is it people want from Cardiff? Because as I see it everything you could want is in walking distance or reasonable driving. Since moving to Cardiff 6 months ago I use the car for work, that's it. I walk everywhere now (unless I'm being truly lazy!)

As for Cardiff not having speedway tracks, how many does Wembley have? :s Newport is closer to Cardiff than any speedway track is to Wembley!

I am the same Gearhead i live 2 hours away and ive been twice, but the racing hasnt been great and like you said it isnt cheap when you add it up.A big event though and it keeps British speedway in the spotlight which is good.

Cardiff isn't cheap? I live here I want to know whats expensive?!

If you mean tickets and travel, well unless you live in Wembley you'll pay that to go there too!

Edited by SCB

In fairness there are two points i can think of.1.Poland is the speedway stronghold.It has enough fans to fill the stadiums without foreign fans.....2.Poland isn't an or on an island,so it is fairly easy for fans from neighbouring countries to get there by road and train.

I think Cardiff needs to attract quite a few foregn fans and i do believe if the GP was in London it would be able to attract a lot more foregn fans.Saying that,it would need someone with a lot of money to spend on making it possible.But like Humphrey,i think if that person was to come along and offer to fund the project then Cardiff would be dropped pretty quickly.Not very likely though

I agree the m4 though Newport is shocking (any road in Newport is, the whole city is a rubbish hole) and yes the French charge you a whole £6 to get in (have a couple of pints less or buy your ticket in the day saving a booking fee) but the car park? You're joking right? There's one a 100 foot from the main entrance and another do many others within half a mile. Not to forget park and ride. It's the centre of Cardiff ffs! It's £5 for a days parking on the council pay and displays too, I don't know a city that's that cheap (infact it more than makes up for the £6 you give to the French to enter Wales)

I don't even use Cardiff Car parks and I know where they are! I guess I'll just leave the car at home and stroll into the centre when I wake up GP day (the joys of living more or less in the stadium shadows!)

How anyone can criticise Cardiff I'm not sure. What do you want/need that Cardiff or the surrounding areas don't have? Drinking, shopping and sleeping withing a 5 minute drunken stumble of your seat (unless your on bend 2 or the back straight, then it's about 8 minutes). Cinema? 2 within 10 minutes another 20 minute stroll down into the Bay where Dr Who fans can oragasm all day. If you don't want a 20 minute stroll try about 5 minutes on the boat seeing Cardiff by river as you go (I'll give you a wave as you sail by too). Want to go go karting? Less than a 10 minute walk from the stadium. Want a beach? 10-15 minutes in the car. Airport? Bristol 45 minutes, Cardiff 15-20 by car/bus. Train station 2 minutes away. Ice rink and massive pool "in the Bay" (they claim it is, I'd suggest it's not, only those too poor to afford to live in the real Bay claim its the Bay but meh!) and for those who like sailing and water sports theres plenty of that too. We even have McDonald's, Burger Kingd and an Ikea!!

What is it people want from Cardiff? Because as I see it everything you could want is in walking distance or reasonable driving. Since moving to Cardiff 6 months ago I use the car for work, that's it. I walk everywhere now (unless I'm being truly lazy!)

As for Cardiff not having speedway tracks, how many does Wembley have? :s Newport is closer to Cardiff than any speedway track is to Wembley!

If you mean tickets and travel, well unless you live in Wembley you'll pay that to go there too!

No exspense i never really thought about it,not at the time because i love speedway. i went with my partner she,s not a fan we travelled up on the day, tickets petrol,food, loads of drinks and a bit of shopping souvenirs [ect] we spent 400 between us.Her opinion was,enjoyed it but for a day out it was a exspensive. If you go for a weekend practice [ect] accomadation it isnt cheap if you add it up.

No exspense i never really thought about it,not at the time because i love speedway. i went with my partner she,s not a fan we travelled up on the day, tickets petrol,food, loads of drinks and a bit of shopping souvenirs [ect] we spent 400 between us.Her opinion was,enjoyed it but for a day out it was a exspensive. If you go for a weekend practice [ect] accomadation it isnt cheap if you add it up.

You took ma woman, shopping...?! No wonder you ended up spending a fortune!!! LOL!

I agree the m4 though Newport is shocking

It isn't just through Newport - it's often very congested on the English side.

There's one a 100 foot from the main entrance and another do many others within half a mile. Not to forget park and ride.

Try getting into them when there's an event on....

I'm also not interested in faffing around with a park and ride these days. At Wembley you can drive right up to the stadium and park there, or take a train to the station directly outside.

The hotels are an outrageous price for one.

I've not actually suggested that Cardiff is inaccessible and has nothing if you want to make a weekend of it. Indeed, I probably go to Cardiff a couple of times per year for other things.

However, it's certainly not as accessible as somewhere in London would be for most people, it's certainly less attractive for foreign attendees, and if you intend to stay, then the accommodation is well overpriced for what's on offer. Of course London is more expensive, but it's for more convenient for most people to reach and there's more there for the non-diehards,

Yes, the diehards will go anywhere (as indeed I once did), but I still believe a London GP would attract more casual fans.

You took ma woman, shopping...?! No wonder you ended up spending a fortune!!! LOL!

Yes you are right Parsloes she remembers nothing about the racing.Cardiff is an ok place am a bit surprised how much the capital has support from alot of supporters.

Add a night's hotel,if you live too far away to do it all in a day,extra food etc and it could add another 150-200,that's a total of a week for 2 in the sun!