British Speedway Forum

Why should it go to any other track. Tim Stone had the balls to think of the event and others laughed it off. However, its been a success to date. No other promoter had the balls to do it did they? Its an event thought of by a former and sadly deceased Newport promoter and thats where this event should stay.

Of course, Newport is the meeting's rightful place. However, when Poole took the meeting over for a year they raised the bar, both in terms of rider quality and the numbers of riders taking part. That level has never been maintained in my opinion.

I always go to the NYC but this year, unless one or two of the last four riders announced makes it worth the 200 odd mile round trip and £50 it will cost me to attend the meeting (with all the other associated costs involved apart from entry), I won't bother, simply because the line up, as announced so far, is, frankly, unispiring.

If I remember rightly, it was known well in advance of the date itself that Poole were holding the meeting in 2009 which must have made the logistics of arranging the meeting easier (riders making sure equipment was held back for the meeting, or got ready in advance etc). Compare that to the situation this year when the first confirmation about the meeting was at the beginning of December, less than a month before the scheduled date. If riders (and I know it is an 'if') are only now being contacted to ride, I am not surprised that putting together a line up is proving problematic (as Main Man alluded to in his recent post).

Perhaps I am a 'keyboard critic', but I have tried to make a fair posting. I also note that my direct question to Main Man, where I asked is it really rider availablilty or the money on offer that is making it difficult to attract riders, went unanswered, despite the fact Main Man has since posted on the thread.

I will be disappointed to give this meeting a miss so am hoping that some of the last 4 riders tip the balance the 'correct' way.

Main man didn't roynon wanna do it then

still talking with him

Of course, Newport is the meeting's rightful place. However, when Poole took the meeting over for a year they raised the bar, both in terms of rider quality and the numbers of riders taking part. That level has never been maintained in my opinion.

I always go to the NYC but this year, unless one or two of the last four riders announced makes it worth the 200 odd mile round trip and £50 it will cost me to attend the meeting (with all the other associated costs involved apart from entry), I won't bother, simply because the line up, as announced so far, is, frankly, unispiring.

If I remember rightly, it was known well in advance of the date itself that Poole were holding the meeting in 2009 which must have made the logistics of arranging the meeting easier (riders making sure equipment was held back for the meeting, or got ready in advance etc). Compare that to the situation this year when the first confirmation about the meeting was at the beginning of December, less than a month before the scheduled date. If riders (and I know it is an 'if') are only now being contacted to ride, I am not surprised that putting together a line up is proving problematic (as Main Man alluded to in his recent post).

Perhaps I am a 'keyboard critic', but I have tried to make a fair posting. I also note that my direct question to Main Man, where I asked is it really rider availablilty or the money on offer that is making it difficult to attract riders, went unanswered, despite the fact Main Man has since posted on the thread.

I will be disappointed to give this meeting a miss so am hoping that some of the last 4 riders tip the balance the 'correct' way.

Not avoided ..... I can assure you it is rider availability --- and equipment. Some riders who are in the country have not got their bikes ready or are awaiting new equipment. I spoke with Puk ( N K Iversen) earlier as he is a good friend and a client of mine and he is one definitely awaiting new equipment and would have ridden if he had them sorted.

We had to await official ratification of the meeting which held things up but I had already been talking to many riders to ascertain their availability.

As it is this is not a big open meeting as such . It gives those fans willing to travel in January the opportunity to watch their favourite sport in the close season. I am sorry if you think the line-up is uninspiring but many don't. It is full of true racers and many have tasted success at Newport in the past.

All I know is that we will be enjoying our favourite sport on Mon Jan 2nd and undoubtedly there will be many fans from throughout the UK joining us for the occasion.

Not avoided ..... I can assure you it is rider availability --- and equipment. Some riders who are in the country have not got their bikes ready or are awaiting new equipment. I spoke with Puk ( N K Iversen) earlier as he is a good friend and a client of mine

A client - how is he a client of yours?

I've got one suggestion but no doubt I'd have a gagging order placed against me if it was posted.

You only live once. I'm sure it will be constructive and add excitement to Rogers' mass debate on this isssue. :unsure:

A client - how is he a client of yours?

blimey Najjer do you want to know everything ?? I am a mortgage broker and I arranged his mortgage --is that enough info for you ???????

You only live once. I'm sure it will be constructive and add excitement to Rogers' mass debate on this isssue. :unsure:

again Najjer you use only my surname !! and it seems only three of you who are bothered about all this and commenting!! Oh well!!!

Anyway for all those who are bothered -- next couple of names to be added on Wednesday.

blimey Najjer do you want to know everything ?? I am a mortgage broker and I arranged his mortgage --is that enough info for you ???????

Yes I do Rogers, how much was his house?

you take some stick on here main man , my pc would be hurled through the window if it was me, anyway ile be there, see you on the 2nd

NEWPORT SPEEDWAY PRESS RELEASE :

TWO SPOTS TO FILL IN NEW YEAR CLASSIC –NEXT TWO ANNOUNCED

The Newport promotion and management have been working hard on completing the line-up for the 13th staging of the New Year Classic which takes place on Bank Holiday Monday January 2nd 2012 with a 1pm start.

Already announced in a strong field are former Classic winners David Howe (2003 and 2007), Steve Boxall (2010), reigning champion Lee Smart (2011) along with multiple open meeting winner at Newport Kevin Doolan. These four were then followed by 2010 Premier League Champion Ricky Ashworth, 2007 PLRC winner James Wright and former Wasps Chris Schramm and Carl Wilkinson.

These eight are joined by two young Swedes which starts to give the meeting a real cosmopolitan look . The Classic has usually featured one new rider who hankers after a chance in British Speedway and this year that spot goes to a young highly rated Swede Andreas Hertzberg from Linkopping who is 20. Recommended by the Wasps Swedish scout and friend Peter Jansson , the former National side team manager who rates the youngster. He is looking to make an impression and follow in the tyre tracks of Jonas Anderson, Kim Nilsson, Robin Aspegren and Anders Mellgren at Newport.

Mellgren, who made vast strides in the latter part of the success story for the Wasps in 2011, joins the line-up alongside Hertzberg. The 19 year old formed a prolific opening partnership with Charlie Gjedde in the Newport team and has become a fan’s favourite at Queensway Meadows.

With just two spots to announce the meeting organisers are going to have to let some riders who wanted to ride down, commented co-promoter Nick Mallett, “ We have a list of riders who have been in touch and ones Laurence and I have spoken to but unfortunately with the format of this meeting we only have 12 spaces available and 10 of those are now confirmed. This is the first year for a while we have had this luxury and it will be a hard decision of choosing which riders gets the final places.”

“All I do know is that we have a quality field of true racers and I would not like to predict who will win this one as it is really wide open and that must be good for the fans who will be making the trip down to South Wales on January 2nd ---it should be a superb meeting. The track is looking great and we have re-laid it in readiness –so roll on the New Year!!”

G the Bee -'Of course, Newport is the meeting's rightful place. However, when Poole took the meeting over for a year they raised the bar, both in terms of rider quality and the numbers of riders taking part. That level has never been maintained in my opinion.'

Poole are an Elite Leauge club, Newport a Premier Leauge club I would imagine that Poole would have a bigger budget available for rider quality.

I will not go to any twelve man individual meetings as they simply short change the supporter. Another point is that with this silly formula a rider can race against one rider at least twice and not ride against another rider at all. An individual meeeting should only ever be sixteen riders over twenty races and no stupid semi-finals and final.

If there are too many riders make it a 16 rider meeting then! I might venture the 10 miles to watch then. I'm afraid I'll never pay to watch a 12 rider meeting especially with a couple of semi-finals!

mellgren, who made vast strides in the latter part of the success story for the Wasps in 2011, joins the line-up alongside Hertzberg. The 19 year old formed a prolific opening partnership with Charlie Gjedde in the Newport team and has become a fan’s favourite at Queensway Meadows.
Anders is 20. ;) Edited by SCB