British Speedway Forum

Is it any Different to The GP's where a rider can score a 15 point max and get beaton to the GP Final by a rider who scores 8 And Wins It, .I see No Difference, I hope you will be campagning for a change in the GP rules

Is it any Different to The GP's where a rider can score a 15 point max and get beaton to the GP Final by a rider who scores 8 And Wins It, .I see No Difference, I hope you will be campagning for a change in the GP rules

Abit different in that the GPs elimates 16 riders down to 8. 12 riders with 8 advancing is nothing short of ridiclous.

Abit different in that the GPs elimates 16 riders down to 8. 12 riders with 8 advancing is nothing short of ridiclous.

I agree, it basically means a rider can just plod through his heats and still have a really good chance of making the semi. Why don't they do top two to the final and 1 semi? Would make more sense as this would eliminate 50% of the field (like a GP does).

Well done to Newport and the riders for beating the weather and getting it on and through. Hopefully this will give them a financial boost for 2012. Were there many there, main stand full?

Edited by Storming Norman

The main stand was pretty full from what I could see.

CMO, I misread your post originally, but I still don't think Lemon got too much stick at the time. Doesn't mean we can't dislike him for mugging us off.

I don't think you will find a single Newport fan with a problem with Alex, disappointing that he didn't fulfill his potential with us but it was not down to lack of effort.

The mainstand looked Full ( Due to the weather ) but also the back Straight was swelled By visiting Supporters and Locals We all got on well , and the racing is what you would expect at this time of year, Full marks to the Riders and Everyone involved in getting this meeting on For anyone to Critisise is a travistry

Main stand looked pretty full to me, quite a good crowd considering the weather conditions. I've seen more supporters at previous seasons, but we've had an awful lot of rain building up to this meeting.

The track staff did an excellent job of getting this meeting on, track got better as the heats progressed.

Just on a positive note, considering all the negative responses about the format.

The organisation are trying to stage an out of season event - all the riders know the format beforehand, some will be glad of the competitive racing, others have a chance to try some new equipment without too much pressure.

I for one look forward to this meeting each year, well done to all the riders and Newport speedway for a bit of speedway action in the close season.

• Like 1

Always good to get a shot of speedway in the middle of winter. Given the conditions it was never going to be a classic but I think most fans know this before going. It started in slapstick condition with riders slipping and sliding everywhere but as the track dried the racing improved. Can’t really see what’s wrong with the format. It is after all a run out for all 12 riders and keeps things open until the end. The best 4 riders on the day made the final Did feel a bit for Lemo who looked the best rider until getting bogged down on bend two in the final . Well done to all riders and track staff for making it happen. One of the better NYC I’ve been to

The mainstand looked Full ( Due to the weather ) but also the back Straight was swelled By visiting Supporters and Locals We all got on well , and the racing is what you would expect at this time of year, Full marks to the Riders and Everyone involved in getting this meeting on For anyone to Critisise is a travistry

Great to hear the ,meeting went off as planned and the full meeting was run. As for the Armchair Critics that abound on here: we know who they are, and treat their snide comments with the lack of respect they deserve.

Thems as can - does, thems as can't - criticize.

• Like 1

Metcheck has rain clearing and sunshine. Met office has similar with the possibility of a shower whilst BBC Weather --which is invariably wrong!! --showers.

I think you may want to look into which forecaster you use in the future... BBC forecast rain early on clearing, then more rain around midday which is exactly what happened!

As for the meeting.. a couple of good races on a ploughed field of a track. Plenty of fallers early on when the track was at it's wettest and a farcical result... How the winner can qualify for the final with only one win and 3 finishes to his name from 5 races is beyond me!

Some scary moments, mostly involving Chris Schramm, who can't have done his chances of a team place any good, and some determined riding from Ricky Ashworth were the highlights.

Can’t really see what’s wrong with the format. It is after all a run out for all 12 riders and keeps things open until the end.

The same two riders met three times in the qualifiers... You think that's ok?

Is it any Different to The GP's where a rider can score a 15 point max and get beaton to the GP Final by a rider who scores 8 And Wins It, .I see No Difference

The difference is that Howe only completed half of his qualifying rides!

Edited by Shadders

Chris Schramm rode his heart out and would be a welcome addition to any team. Sure he kept falling off, but that was probably down to trying too hard on a wet track.

I think the crowd was down on previous years. Probably partly due to the weather and partly due to the line up. It was good to meet up with old friends during the close season. Role on March!! (I wish the catering stand was quicker. I missed 3 races whilst waiting to be served. how would they cope with a big crowd?)

I think the crowd was down on previous years. Probably partly due to the weather and partly due to the line up. It was good to meet up with old friends during the close season. Role on March!! (I wish the catering stand was quicker. I missed 3 races whilst waiting to be served. how would they cope with a big crowd?)

Unless they reach another KOC final they won't have a bigger crowd this year!

Our first visit to Newport and thought as a pure Speedway stadium (until this year?) it was a tidy set up. Given the time of year and the weather I would defy anyone to have put on a better racing surface and it caught out everyone at some stage, Chris Schramm a few times and even Lemmo in the final, who despite what I read on here about past activities did look the class act off the start which is where it mattered today. The fans were all as you would expect at a Speedway meeting friendly and of good banter, disappointed there were not more supporting some of the travelling riders, must have been a long hall for the likes of Tulley! But enough stayed to show appreciation to the winners which was nice. Catering has lots of opportunity to improve, early afternoon mtg with chance of a fair crowd, don't think I would be cooking to order but filling those grill plates with burgers ready for the hungry hoards, and with two ends why not one for drinks only, in/out quick, count the cash!

As it was the only winter event I though a bit more could have been made of the build up, rider parade, intros etc, few flags etc. But track looked a good shape for racing when conditions improve in the spring and most of the riders were in it for points and did try to race when staying on was difficult at time, my awards,

1) Track staff, promoter, SCB officials for getting the meeting on

2) Riders 1-12 and reserve for giving it a go and giving the supporters some racing

3) David Howe for showing it's not over until the fat lady sings

4) Suporters for turning out for what most knew would be a Gaters meeting in the main given the weather conditions