British Speedway Forum
Rockets

Rye House Raiders 2012

It would be a good thing Mate. These kids really do need to be given a chance. Just out of interest does anyone know where Mitchell Jacks went?

Rockets i will not be going until training resumes in the new year when Ben is having a run out..I have however noticed that some other teams are also going with 2 rookies at reserve so perhaps there has been a promoters agreement on this ,if so excellent,,but will they all fall in line ??

Rockets your reply is now in front of my post as i had to delete the original as it came up twice after not coming up at all the first time i tried it,,sorry about that..

Rockets i will not be going until training resumes in the new year when Ben is having a run out..I have however noticed that some other teams are also going with 2 rookies at reserve so perhaps there has been a promoters agreement on this ,if so excellent,,but will they all fall in line ??

Rockets your reply is now in front of my post as i had to delete the original as it came up twice after not coming up at all the first time i tried it,,sorry about that..

I am not sure there has been an agreement on this, we were asked at a Heathens Forum, if we wanted Darryl Ritchings at reserve, to find at least 20 rookies of NL standard in one go, may well prove to be not possible..

Dont get me wrong i dont know anything definate ,,its just that i noticed several clubs saying they were going with 2 rookies at reserve, and assumed this may have been discussed by promoters...

This is where the NL teams have a conflict of interests, the stand alone sides want to build winning sides, whilst by the nature of the league they have to do so with young Brits in their side in the main.

I'm happy for the Raiders to go to tapes with two untried youngsters at reserve in 2012, my personal preference would be Dan Greenwood and Brandon Freemantle as they have the potential to do well in the sport, although any of the lads who have impressed at the training schools will do. If we can't sign decent youngsters with potential in the ilk of Sarjeant and Morley for the rest of the main body of the side then I'd be happy to see more youngsters given a chance to get some experience under their belts in the same way Scunthorpe have done the last few years, it hasn't done them any harm has it?

Brandon Freemantle untried???

If the Raiders track a competitive side I suspect that their crowds would increase - as they do with the PL side. Think it through Ben under the current racecard your two untried riders have Heat 2 in ntheir own class only - then on they have to race against the likes of number 4's who often are third Heat Leaders.

Scunny were excellent last year but with lads maturing in their second / third year of racing, when they needed to strengthen they did not put newbie 3 pointers in.

IMO if you want to bring youngsters through across the board one fair way is for the number 7 berth put in a vultures race each meeting for all teams. Standalone or not I believe for the majority of supporters as a paying customer you want 15 competitive races.

Kev

• Like 1

Where did I say Freemantle was untried? I said I'd be happy to see two untried reserves but my preference would be Freemantle and Greenwood.

Scunthorpe's team last year was the result of 2/3 years worth of NL experience for most of their side, Rye will be starting some riders off from scratch with their breakthrough seasons being expected to be 2013 or 2014.

As I've said before, we are not a win at all costs stand alone side, so to try build a win at all costs team would not be beneficial for anyone, bringing through young riders for the future of the rockets would be.

Mason is the experienced rider, Morley and Sarjeant are looking to break through during the season, the other 4 spots should be for youngsters who can make a name for themselves.

Running double headers and charging less for the stand alone meetings will keep crowd interest up, the double headers aren't everyone's cup of tea but if they were moved along a little quicker then there would be no issues.

As I've said before, we are not a win at all costs stand alone side, so to try build a win at all costs team would not be beneficial for anyone, bringing through young riders for the future of the rockets would be.

Mason is the experienced rider, Morley and Sarjeant are looking to break through during the season, the other 4 spots should be for youngsters who can make a name for themselves.

Running double headers and charging less for the stand alone meetings will keep crowd interest up, the double headers aren't everyone's cup of tea but if they were moved along a little quicker then there would be no issues.

I'm not interested in seeing 4 untried riders struggling around or sitting through a 4 hour meeting as is the norm with Rye House double headers!

I'm not interested in seeing 4 untried riders struggling around or sitting through a 4 hour meeting as is the norm with Rye House double headers!

Have to agree with Shadders here - It has to be a competitive team to keep the interest up and the normal 6 training heats afterwards.

Perhaps make it a little knock out 6 heats with the winner getting the No.7 berth the following week? :P

Have to agree with Shadders here - It has to be a competitive team to keep the interest up and the normal 6 training heats afterwards.

Perhaps make it a little knock out 6 heats with the winner getting the No.7 berth the following week? :P

Agree with you and Shadders having seen a number of NL teams try riders way too early and then drop them after a few meetings simply because they are way off the pace does not help riders / clubs / supporters and Double headers are not the best when it is difficult to get good race surfaces for 2 meetings.

Where did I say Freemantle was untried? I said I'd be happy to see two untried reserves but my preference would be Freemantle and Greenwood.

Here:

I'm happy for the Raiders to go to tapes with two untried youngsters at reserve in 2012 my personal preference would be Dan Greenwood and Brandon Freemantle.

Now you have added the word "but" it changes the shape of your statement.

Edited by norwichkev

Agree with you and Shadders having seen a number of NL teams try riders way too early and then drop them after a few meetings simply because they are way off the pace does not help riders / clubs / supporters and Double headers are not the best when it is difficult to get good race surfaces for 2 meetings.

Here:

I'm happy for the Raiders to go to tapes with two untried youngsters at reserve in 2012 >>>,<<< my personal preference would be Dan Greenwood and Brandon Freemantle.

Now you have added the word "but" it changes the shape of your statement.

You've misquoted me, there was a comma in there. Is it that important that you need to go grammar police on it? I know what I meant, there was nothing wrong with it and if you've read it wrong it's not my problem. :rolleyes:

Back on topic:

Whilst it is good to win things and keep the fans coming back, who are the riders we are going to sign who will win us meetings and be decent signings who could move up to the Rockets side in the future? Most are assets of other clubs, we need to make our own assets, to do that we need to blood new talent and not just one rider here and there, 2 or 3 because the chances are out of each 2 or 3 we put into the side only one will be good enough in future. Until they are given their chance then who will know and they won't get the track time to improve with competitive action.

At the end of the day, the purpose of the Raiders is to develop riders not to win the league, that is what the Rockets should be aiming to do each year.

Agree with you and Shadders having seen a number of NL teams try riders way too early and then drop them after a few meetings simply because they are way off the pace does not help riders / clubs / supporters and Double headers are not the best when it is difficult to get good race surfaces for 2 meetings

But thats the impossible question of when is to early???? i often look back to Scunny meeting at Dudley in 2010,The saints went with RR with Richie Worrall @no.8

He went out in all the RR rides,dont think he scored a point,so you could say he was in to early,yet he went back this year,about 8 months later and i think he got 18

But thats the impossible question of when is to early???? i often look back to Scunny meeting at Dudley in 2010,The saints went with RR with Richie Worrall @no.8

He went out in all the RR rides,dont think he scored a point,so you could say he was in to early,yet he went back this year,about 8 months later and i think he got 18

Fair pointon Richie but think you may have answered your own question there - although he could have been close to the pace despite not getting a point. Scunny have been a shining example in developing young riders the Iast few years but without naming specific examples from 2011 - that would be unfair on the individuals but regular NL attendees could name a few - it could well be that they will be back in 2012 better equipped and more track time under their belt - riders finishing race after race 1/2 a lap behind will learn nothing. Although on the flip side Stefan Nielsen only listed as a number 8 and Ben Reade dropped by Stoke late on do sometimes leave you scratching your head must admit.

Second halves last year in the NL COULD have been vastly improved, and if the Midlands League? mentioned on this forum ( although must admit have seen nothing of ) worked then surely would not a league run after NL meetings be the best route to bring on youngsters?

. Although on the flip side Stefan Nielsen only listed as a number 8 and Ben Reade dropped by Stoke late on do sometimes leave you scratching your head must admit.

Whys that Kev???

At the end of the day, the purpose of the Raiders is to develop riders not to win the league,

Is that the official statement from Len?

If that is the case then the entrance price should reflect that and be half of what it currently is :wink: