British Speedway Forum
Rockets

Rye House Raiders 2012

Has anyone attended the training schools to run an eye over the proposed trainees that will supposedly be lining up as the reserves in the Raiders team,,, if so in your opinion are they on the pace for this considerable step up ,as some of the other teams have far more experienced riders in these positions....Len has put together 5 riders all with potential heat leader qualities,,Mason,,Morley,, Strudwick,,Hazelden and Sargeant,, it would be a shame if the reserves are not on the pace...... this would not be good for those riders who actually want to be successfull and win something,,The fans too need this season to have a team with exciting possibilitys to maintain their interest,,which is vital in my opinion....To attendences.......

Isn't that how it should be?. The main body doing the work while the reserves learn. I doubt they will be on the pace but give them time. Too much pressure is put on the reserves to win meetings with 7 rides. This as I say puts the reserves under undue pressure. Mildenhall held their own way before Heeps joined them although he did give them a boost. Brandon Freemantle was off the pace most of the season as was Ryan Blacklock but started winning races towards and this season can only build on that

Rockets have not heard anything yet there are several weeks to go before their first meeting so it may be left to the last minute ,alternatively there may be an announcement at press and practise day,,Who knows ? this is speedway after all !!

Edited by waco

Does it look like I've quoted him?

I do agree though, just like the PL team the NL team is too expensive to watch, there's no two ways about it.

It looks like Nick Lee and Jed Collins are two names being mooted from the promotion looking at this press release http://speedwaygb.co...?extend.13798.6 with Collins being the name better of the two if this is to be believed. Perhaps something along the lines of this would be feasible:

1. Mason

2. Owen

3. Sarjeant

4. Hazelden

5. Morley

6. Collins

7. Freemantle

8. Lee

Collins and Lee: thatr's two great names to stir the memories of the glory days of English Speedway!!!! :approve:

Owen and Freemantle have signed for the I,O.W..Lee Strudwick returns to make up the team with others listed by Parsloes..The reserves may well be as suggested,,but as yet no confirmation on those two..

Owen and Freemantle have signed for the I,O.W..Lee Strudwick returns to make up the team with others listed by Parsloes..The reserves may well be as suggested,,but as yet no confirmation on those two..

tbf it was RocketBen who listed 'em, I just quoted him...

Sorry Parsloes on reflection i make you right i just saw the list within your post....

Edited by waco

Press and Practice is on friday 9th march approx 11am...other practice days are thurs 8th and sat 10th....In the past the public have been welcome and the Burger bar open ,i imagine it will be the same this year...The riders in the main of both teams are likely to attend all or most of these practices...

it would be a mistake to bring Barrie Evans back.

That's the overall problem with speedway these days - the averages. It forces out riders of known ability like Barrie Evans and lets in riders of lesser talent so that a side can comply with averages.

This in my opinion is a major reason why speedway declines season-on-season.

Teams should be in a free market and sign the best available. It must be the only "major' (?) sport where this does not happen.

Edited by speedyguy
  • Like 1

Lee Strudwick now unable to afford his comeback having been made redundant, so they're going with three training school graduates instead of two.

That's the overall problem with speedway these days - the averages. It forces out riders of known ability like Barrie Evans and lets in riders of lesser talent so that a side can comply with averages.

This in my opinion is a major reason why speedway declines season-on-season.

Teams should be in a free market and sign the best available. It must be the only "major' (?) sport where this does not happen.

Surprised nobody has commented on your comments yet. It is true that riders are forced to sit out at best and retire at the extreme by the way that averages are arrived at. I loved the year at Stoke last year watching the riders improving but some races were a complete mismatch. Stoke like most teams has had to be broken up due to "fitting" riders in to a points system with averages that in some cases are not a true reflection on the riders ability. Most have untried riders at reserve (I know the lads need to race, but race against similar standard riders), which means that you get some tailed off at the back which is not entertaining at all. In all sports people find their level, in ours the teams are forced together with most on a merry-go-round every year to scramble for a team place. Sounds like I'm against young lads racing, not at all put race against similar standard and move up to race against the better riders as you get better. Not enough teams I know and some will get left out but let the better racers race.

This will always be a problem with the National League, some see it as a training platform for their young riders, for others it is their bread and butter so to speak. People complain about rules etc, ways to change them for the better but once they have been made it is the promoter's job at each club to build their side within these rules. If you go top heavy then you are going to have a weak tail end, that happens at every level and gives mis-matched races, it's unavoidable, especially in the National League where each team has a different agenda.

I'm personally happy to see the Raiders blood 3 new riders, hopefully they can do a good job and push on to become Rockets in the future, NL meetings can be enjoyable no matter how long the riders have been racing.

Some people like a moan about NL teams containing rookies, more often than not though, they are the same people who will complain that our EL and PL sides are over-saturated with riders from abroad...

• Like 2