British Speedway Forum
Rockets

Rye House Raiders 2012

I'm personally happy to see the Raiders blood 3 new riders, hopefully they can do a good job and push on to become Rockets in the future

I like Len's reasoning, "“We looked at the available pool of riders available in the market to plug Lee’s sudden absence, but they just did not tie in with our objectives with the Raiders, so we are aiming to turn to one of our own.”

Some people like a moan about NL teams containing rookies, more often than not though, they are the same people who will complain that our EL and PL sides are over-saturated with riders from abroad...

You might say that, I couldn't possibly comment...

This will always be a problem with the National League, some see it as a training platform for their young riders, for others it is their bread and butter so to speak.

I'm personally happy to see the Raiders blood 3 new riders, hopefully they can do a good job and push on to become Rockets in the future, NL meetings can be enjoyable no matter how long the riders have been racing.

The facts are that the NL is the 3rd division of speedway and is NOT a training league purely for the other 2 divisions.

For me having 3 riders in the team that Shadders would refer to as “wobblers” means I will not attend stand alone meetings until I’ve witnessed a few double headers. If and only if, the team are competitive then I will support them – at the end of the day it’s my money and I want to see good racing, not riders half a lap behind and falling off. We are all aware however, of the financial benefits of having 3 juniors in the team?

For riders starting the sport we have the junior league.

Edited by BossMan

It is no good complaining about attendences if you dont put out a competitive side , The riders to will be disappointed that the team will not now be likely to qualify for the play offs ,.I have always admired Len Silver but some of his decisions lately bitterly disappoint me......Unless he is going to use Ben Hopwood ? who i believe may be a Rye asset,,maybe someone can confirm that......

Edited by waco

The facts are that the NL is the 3rd division of speedway and is NOT a training league purely for the other 2 divisions.

For me having 3 riders in the team that Shadders would refer to as “wobblers” means I will not attend stand alone meetings until I’ve witnessed a few double headers. If and only if, the team are competitive then I will support them – at the end of the day it’s my money and I want to see good racing, not riders half a lap behind and falling off. We are all aware however, of the financial benefits of having 3 juniors in the team?

The National League may well be the third division, however it's mission statement when formed was to help develop riders as well as be a competitive division. The Development Leagues have only just been given BSPA recognition and their sole purpose is to bring through youngsters, I agree.

It has been stated we will go with three riders from the training schools, whether they struggle or not to begin with, they are the future of the Rockets unless we give them a chance. No use moaning about it. Nobody knows how Strudwick would have coped after a season away from the sport anyway.

• Like 2

The future of the sport relies on the fans ,.No fans ... No sport

With you on this Waco. No fans no sport. Also though the other team members must be motivated and why would they be carrying three rookies. Surely unless there is an exceptional crop that is what the development league is for. Bring in another old head Len.

• Like 1

It is no good complaining about attendences if you dont put out a competitive side , The riders to will be disappointed that the team will not now be likely to qualify for the play offs ,.I have always admired Len Silver but some of his decisions lately bitterly disappoint me......Unless he is going to use Ben Hopwood ? who i believe may be a Rye asset,,maybe someone can confirm that......

When you are a double up team like Rye,how the hell can the promotion afford to put out two competative teams??

Im convinced that NL teams who are double uppers,who put out strong teams will not see huge crowds,even if they are at the top,most folk just cant afford paying to watch two teams,i think thats the biggest factor why D/U NL teams are not so well supported,nothing to do with strenght

there is no point Len really running his NL side unless he is going to use rookies

Promoter Len Silver said: “We looked at the available pool of riders available in the market to plug Lee’s sudden absence, but they just did not tie in with our objectives with the Raiders, so we are aiming to turn to one of our own.”

Putting this Lenspeak into plain English means, we were offering peanuts and nobody wanted to ride so we will use a freebie from the training school :D

I will be there every satuday, but I would prefer to see a competitive team.

Monty im afraid you dont know the Rye fans The team was competative before Strudwicks withdrawal so why couldnt he use like for like with asset Ben Hopwood who does not have a team place at present and is a good lad..

Edited by waco

Monty im afraid you dont know the Rye fans The team was competative before Strudwicks withdrawal so why couldnt he use like for like with asset Ben Hopwood who does not have a team place at present and is a good lad..

Maybe Hopwood has other plans/demands are to high/doesnt want to ride/lens sees no future in him/i have no idea!!!

Speedway teams are easy to put together on the BSF,not so easy if you are a promotion balancing books i guess

• Like 1

And how will you not attending (for the most spurious of reasons..) help in any way... There's nothing unusual about two riders starting out in the reserve berths of the lower or lowest division teams. Alright, so three is one more than 'normal' but I applaud Len & the Raiders for doing this...

The same old names is what threatens to make a small division like the NL now is, stale and uninteresting. New names making their way is what it (the sport) and this (the NL) is surely all about.

• Like 1

And you will be there every meeting to support them Parsloes of course......?? It is noticable that most on here supporting going with 3 rookies are not regular Rye supporters..mmm,,makes it easier for other teams ..

Edited by waco
  • Like 1

And how will you not attending (for the most spurious of reasons..) help in any way... There's nothing unusual about two riders starting out in the reserve berths of the lower or lowest division teams. Alright, so three is one more than 'normal' but I applaud Len & the Raiders for doing this...

The same old names is what threatens to make a small division like the NL now is, stale and uninteresting. New names making their way is what it (the sport) and this (the NL) is surely all about.

It’s been a long time Parsloes old man since you picked on one of my posts? :rolleyes:

Shall we go with the usual debate on exactly how much MONEY you have spent on supporting speedway over just the last 3 years? – Or even the amount of meetings you have just attended over the last 3 years? The house must be Clean and sparkling with all the decorating you have been doing. It’s almost amusing that you spend so much time away from speedway and yet you think you have all the answers. :rofl:

I want to see competitive speedway full stop. Len charges more than any other NL team for a stand alone meeting and will now put out an inferior product, how will that keep the supporters happy? I can see this year being the last time we see a second team at Rye and it will be Len’s own fault if it’s not a success.

How will my not attending help….. Simple it allows me to attend another meeting at a different venue, and if I have a good time who knows how often I will attend there instead of Rye?

And you will be there every meeting to support them Parsloes of course......?? It is noticable that most on here supporting going with 3 rookies are not regular Rye supporters..mmm,,makes it easier for other teams ..

Spot on Waco - hope young Ben has a great year :t:

Edited by BossMan
  • Like 1

It’s been a long time Parsloes old man since you picked on one of my posts? :rolleyes:

Shall we go with the usual debate on exactly how much MONEY you have spent on supporting speedway over just the last 3 years? – Or even the amount of meetings you have just attended over the last 3 years? The house must be Clean and sparkling with all the decorating you have been doing. It’s almost amusing that you spend so much time away from speedway and yet you think you have all the answers. :rofl:

Fair point me old mucker - though I do wonder how you know so much about my movements!! Did you know for example that me and davidba have been at Ilford vs. Thamesmead in the Ryman League this evening!!!

What bemuses me is that a number of RH folk have in successive years come on here to give us 'good excuses' why in the season about to then begin,they're NOT going to watch the third tier side. First it was (and this WAS spurious) the change of nickname to Cobras. "I'm not going as long as they're called Cobras. Bring back the Raiders nickname".

Then last term it was the use of the Hackney name. "I'm not going because I never used to support Hackney".

This time it's over the partial team policy. "I'm not going coz they're, er, selecting some rookies/juniors".

Tbh if people don't want to go, don't go...: but leave it with the daft 'reasons'.

I don't go to RH much, you're right - but I don't come with a long list of reasons why not... Other than DIY!!! :oops::wink:

Thanks Boss Man,,,Ben will be going all out this year to make the No1 jacket his own with the raiders and be pushing for a chance with the Rockets when the opportunity arises...the way things are going i fear for the future of the Raiders after this season ,,however i shall attend all the practices to have a look at these trainees hopeing one or two may be better than i imagine them to be...After all Len should know if they are at least on the pace..Heres hoping to be pleasantly surprised....... :t:

Edited by waco