British Speedway Forum
stratton

Could Mike Bast Have Been A Force In World Speedway?

There seems to be confusion over two issues here. To the best of my knowledge it has always been up to an individual nation how to use up their allocated spaces in that years world championship. Some (most) used a series of qualifiers, although it wasn't unknown for a country to then over rule that process and pick who they wanted in the latter stages anyway. Others merely picked a representative. Often a qualifier, or a chosen representative didn't want to travel anyway so someone else was picked.

Whether there are or aren't qualifiers is not down to the SPG organisers or the FIM. In a theoretical world of a return to a one off final exactly the same would apply whereby it would be up to the BSPA/ACU how they used up their allocation in a theoretical overseas final.

Your gripe seems to be with the BSPA/ACU rather than the SGP

Edited by oldace

of course i'm pleased i saw the old format, went to two finals (83 and 85), loved them both though the racing in 83 was dire and on neither occasion did I get the winner I wanted (morton and S Moran). Also, loved going to the qualifying meetings, the tension,, some great races etc. I have great memories of the old system and I remember being disapointed when they were replaced by the GP system - however, indisputably the GP is better at determining who the best rider in the world is, and I can see no rationale whatsoever for going back to the old one-off system as a replacement for the GP system (as mentioned preivously I'd be happy to see a pared-down knock-out World Championship run in parallel if it could be made to work).

I am all for that, i am not opposed to the gps just who and how they get in it.?Always felt one off meetings were exciting for live tv but i cant see it ever happening the people who run speedway even some in this country cant see farther than there own nose.

Ahem, back to Mike Bast. The following link makes interesting reading. It shows that on home turf, against the world's best, Mike Bast could more than hold his own and he was comfortably the best of the Yanks.

http://www.internationalspeedway.co.uk/usavrow.htm

It's pretty obvious he didn't have the desire to take his talents to the international stage - so there's little point discussing that. But had he made the decision to apply himself to British racing - based on this - I suspect he could've cut the mustard.

Ahem, back to Mike Bast. The following link makes interesting reading. It shows that on home turf, against the world's best, Mike Bast could more than hold his own and he was comfortably the best of the Yanks.

http://www.internati....uk/usavrow.htm

It's pretty obvious he didn't have the desire to take his talents to the international stage - so there's little point discussing that. But had he made the decision to apply himself to British racing - based on this - I suspect he could've cut the mustard.

Now Greg has 8 usa titles to Mike,s 7 be interesting what the americans take is now is Bast still the king at home.I suspect he is always frustrated me he didnt ride over here wonder privately does he regret it basing on what Penhall achieved earned mega money at home i understand why.

No i dont disagree on that Chunky, Kennett was a very accomplished rider and you are right he was good at blunsdon.Himself, Simmo Jessup Davis to name a few for me were not capable of winning meetings at Hyde rd; Sheffield; Halifax ;against world class fields.And all those riders had good aquipment also for me it is a myth to say it is easy with decent aquipment to ride big racey tracks.

Davis actually rode both Belle Vue and the Shay pretty well, I recall the Aces getting him to appear as a guest on a few occasions. Of course, he would have struggled to beat a World Class field, as even at his peak I don't think you could have descrived him as a world class rider.

Davis actually rode both Belle Vue and the Shay pretty well, I recall the Aces getting him to appear as a guest on a few occasions. Of course, he would have struggled to beat a World Class field, as even at his peak I don't think you could have descrived him as a world class rider.

I see him win the manpower at Reading, he was then didnt like him good aquipment though great gater he was world class for a couple of years.

Lots of conjecture on this thread about a rider few if any of us have seen. Here's something informative about an non-European orientated all-time great of speedway racing. Enjoy!

http://motorcyclemus...=S&discipline=0

JACK KEEN,

ERITH, KENT

Think a number of us saw him at White City.I certainly did.Also saw him at Wimbledon beforehand and got his autograph.But like it has been said it is impossible to judge him on that display.Just like it would have been with Panhall if that was his one and only meeting in the country.It is all speculation based on his performances in the States against the best that they had plus his performances with the Ivan/Briggo troupe etc abroad

Yes I saw him at the '77 ICF at White City (still to this day my favourite ever meeting!) and that was also the first time saw Bruce Penhall...! Bruce scored three points; Bast, one...: so I guess difficult to read too much into that either way...

Penhall then came over here and became one of the world's greatest ever riders... Wonder why Mike Bast never considered trying League racing out over here too...

Yes I saw him at the '77 ICF at White City (still to this day my favourite ever meeting!) and that was also the first time saw Bruce Penhall...! Bruce scored three points; Bast, one...: so I guess difficult to read too much into that either way...

Penhall then came over here and became one of the world's greatest ever riders... Wonder why Mike Bast never considered trying League racing out over here too...

Earming 60,000 dollars a season in the USA. Lots of sunshine in California?

Keep up Parsloes old boy.Don't you read the threads any more?Look at one of the first posts on this thread for an explanation :blink::P

Keep up Parsloes old boy.Don't you read the threads any more?Look at one of the first posts on this thread for an explanation :blink::P

Yes - money and sunshine... Fair enough but kind of guaranteed they'd only be this much beleted hypothetical debate, rather than any reality to any claim to greatness!!

Earming 60,000 dollars a season in the USA. Lots of sunshine in California?

If I've calculated correctly, that's about £36,000 a season, or £1,400 a week for a 26 week season. Why come to Europe?

Why are reputations only made on achievements in the UK or Europe? As others have said on here - a few - Mike Bast is an all-time great.

If I've calculated correctly, that's about £36,000 a season, or £1,400 a week for a 26 week season. Why come to Europe?

Why are reputations only made on achievements in the UK or Europe? As others have said on here - a few - Mike Bast is an all-time great.

Not an all time great ,to do that the british league was the only place to do it.He chose a different path did well in his safety zone ALL TIME GREAT is bandied about all to easily i dont class him as one.