British Speedway Forum
g13webb

Which Is Best: The Old ‘one-off’ World Final Or Sgp.

RAKING over old ground now. Hasn't this been done to death here under various guises.

After 1981 Wembley shut its doors to speedway. Fact.

The long term future of the British GP is at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff ... a stadium with a roof which, as I have stated here ad nauseam, provides a massive insurance for the huge financial outlay required to stage a GP on that scale in the UK.

• Like 1

RAKING over old ground now. Hasn't this been done to death here under various guises.

The long term future of the British GP is at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff ... a stadium with a roof which, as I have stated here ad nauseam, provides a massive insurance for the huge financial outlay required to stage a GP on that scale in the UK.

It is old ground Phil so I agree we'd best not labour the point - but to me, to dismiss entitely the possibility of our sport being staged in what shall later this year become the most famous stadium in the world, shows how lacking in ambition we've now become...

Phil have you a vested interest ? to dismiss it as a option is madness?This has been discussed before and you have always been mega negative dont no why ?.If Wembley is available, Cardiff is in the background for you to dismiss it makes me no sense.

It was convenient around that time to enhance speedway's perceived popularity in general and the Wembley World Final in particular and to bandy figures like 90,000 around and at the time no one argued.

I can understand why promoters might want to do it, but a supposedly independent media should be more circumspect. On this basis, it also might lead one to wonder how accurate some of the reported GP figures are, especially given the round numbers in some cases.

Incidentally, the attendance figures for the British GPs at Cardiff are supplied to the media by the stadium authorities through BSI at the Press Conference after the event.

Although the FIM/IMG seem curiously reluctant to publish the attendance figures for the other GPs these days. They used to publish an annual summary on the FIM website, but I haven't been able to find this in recent years... :blink:

I can understand why promoters might want to do it, but a supposedly independent media should be more circumspect. On this basis, it also might lead one to wonder how accurate some of the reported GP figures are, especially given the round numbers in some cases.

LIKE it or not those working for the media as speedway correspondents at that time were happy to see somewhat inflated figures filtering back to their own Sports Editors so unlikely to seriously challenge. As far as 1981 was concerned, it was a while after the Final that the figure of 72,000 (or thereabouts) was revealed.

It is quite common practice for figures to be rounded up. The Millennium do provide an exact figure but, for example, 41,798 would most likely end up as 42,000. That's just the way it is.

Although the FIM/IMG seem curiously reluctant to publish the attendance figures for the other GPs these days. They used to publish an annual summary on the FIM website, but I haven't been able to find this in recent years...

ACTUALLY figures are available to the media at many GPs, especially those in Poland which are more often than not are sell-out, capacity crowds anyway and easy to work out.

Ullevi in Sweden and PARKEN in Copenhagen, like the Millennium, provide the media with the numbers.

Phil have you a vested interest ? to dismiss it as a option is madness?This has been discussed before and you have always been mega negative dont no why ?.If Wembley is available, Cardiff is in the background for you to dismiss it makes me no sense.

YOU have asked that question before and the answer was and is NO other than wishing to see the British GP be as successful and well-attended as possible because that reflects well on the sport and could, if others were to get off their backsides, benefit speedway in this country as a whole.

And, for the one millionth (at least) time of stating, Wembley doesn't have a roof. Why would anyone risk millions of pounds when there is a perfect stadium readily available with a roof which not only guarantees the event going ahead but also enhances the atmosphere inside a stadium which (like Wembley should it be used) will probably only ever be around half full.

ACTUALLY figures are available to the media at many GPs, especially those in Poland which are more often than not are sell-out, capacity crowds anyway and easy to work out.

Ullevi in Sweden and PARKEN in Copenhagen, like the Millennium, provide the media with the numbers.

Why then have the FIM (apparently) stopped publishing the attendances for all rounds?

It is old ground Phil so I agree we'd best not labour the point - but to me, to dismiss entitely the possibility of our sport being staged in what shall later this year become the most famous stadium in the world, shows how lacking in ambition we've now become...

Not really true, the most famous stadium in the world has been demolished and replaced with a ultra modern showpiece .... best track and place for a world final .... odsal by a distance :approve:

Not really true, the most famous stadium in the world has been demolished and replaced with a ultra modern showpiece .... best track and place for a world final .... odsal by a distance :approve:

You're misunderstanding. I'm not talking about Wembley - my reference was (the clue was in the mention of it becoming the most famous stadium in the world "later this year"!) to the new Olympic Stadium..!!

YOU have asked that question before and the answer was and is NO other than wishing to see the British GP be as successful and well-attended as possible because that reflects well on the sport and could, if others were to get off their backsides, benefit speedway in this country as a whole.

And, for the one millionth (at least) time of stating, Wembley doesn't have a roof. Why would anyone risk millions of pounds when there is a perfect stadium readily available with a roof which not only guarantees the event going ahead but also enhances the atmosphere inside a stadium which (like Wembley should it be used) will probably only ever be around half full.

So why do the GP's go to Vojens and Ullevi then Two of the places where a meeting can be called off because of the weather. Goteburg(Ullevi) has 163 days when it rains on average per year so why risk millions as you say having a GP there. A far bigger risk than Wembley or the Olympic stadium.

So why do the GP's go to Vojens and Ullevi then Two of the places where a meeting can be called off because of the weather. Goteburg(Ullevi) has 163 days when it rains on average per year so why risk millions as you say having a GP there. A far bigger risk than Wembley or the Olympic stadium.

Mick we have to keep Cardiff for ever because it has a roof? madness Wembley, the Olympic stadium and Odsal would rival Cardiff easily if given the chance no chance though to many people with there own hidden agendas.

Ullevi is indeed surely the wettest sports stadium on earth! I'm still drying out from my trip there in '77!! The number of WFs and GPs there which have suffered shocking conditions is extraordinary yet as you say, it remains on the roster!!

ODSAL rivals the Millennium? Are you completely bonkers!

The British GP is the showpiece event of the series. A roof is essential given the huge outlay. Why Sidney do you find that so tough to grasp? Plus all the other amenities - wonderful facilities for the hugely popular VIP Methanol Club, corporate boxes, new million pound screens, etc, etc, etc.

It was interesting when the question of Wembley was raised at Cardiff two years ago during the Methanol Club lunch attended by over 300 people. When IMG's Rob Armstrong say there were no plans to move from Cardiff the room erupted in applause.

I am sure the Swedish GP will move to Stockholm and a stadium with a roof in the not too distant future. At present there is no alternative to Ullevi.

Vojens is a totally different kettle of fish and is not a BSI promoted event.

I keep promising myself not to continue with this debate, as it has been done to death, but hopefully I will now do just that..

Sorry to 'tempt' you Phil, but you rarely seem to respond to the Olympic Stadium sub-theme.. Other than to say (obviously) that, the Startford/Bow site too has no roof... I'd imagine laying a track there would be somewhat easier than at either Cardiff or Wembley...? Do you have any feelings about the site being used for Speedway..?