British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
rusky

British Sgp Publicity

For my sins I am working in Cardiff for the early part of this week, and one thing that I have noticed is that virtually every bus that I got stuck behind today seemed to have an advert for the 20 - 20 final thats on the same day as the GP. How many adverts were there for the SGP though ? Answers on a postcard please....

For my sins I am working in Cardiff for the early part of this week, and one thing that I have noticed is that virtually every bus that I got stuck behind today seemed to have an advert for the 20 - 20 final thats on the same day as the GP. How many adverts were there for the SGP though ? Answers on a postcard please....

Not hard to guess is it ? Same as the amount of times the GP add is on tv on a non speedway night I'd say

Not hard to guess is it ? Same as the amount of times the GP add is on tv on a non speedway night I'd say

Actually in Wales the advert is usual on in the run up to the GP. It's no good advertising to the whole of the UK, just aim it at the locals.

I live about half a mile from the stadium, I drive past it 4-5 times a week and I've seen no advertising yet but to be fair, it's months away. Why advertise now for people to forget?

Actually in Wales the advert is usual on in the run up to the GP. It's no good advertising to the whole of the UK, just aim it at the locals.

I live about half a mile from the stadium, I drive past it 4-5 times a week and I've seen no advertising yet but to be fair, it's months away. Why advertise now for people to forget?

Why would you not advertise a NATIONAL event to the whole of the UK ?

Probably because the vast majority of those interested already know and for the amount of people that Cardiff will attract from those with a passing interest is minimal. Speedway GP is expensive and is not likely to attract many spur of the moment attendees from outside the Cardiff area. The fanbase for cricket is large whilst the speedway pool both committed and potential is very very small so why waste the budget on advertisement that will bring in far less than the outlay for a national advertising campaign.

• Like 1

2 weeks ago Cardiff hosted the World sailing Championships. How do I know? They advertised it. Did you know about it up in Berwick? If you had seen a poster would you have attended? How many people do you think seeing it advertised would have travelled from Berwick? Now how many Cardiff residents do you think strolled along?

Also, it's not a National event if we're being picky, it's an international event. Maybe they should advertise it in New Zealand and China too, you know, just in case someone sees it an attends. :rofl: It's no good spending £X to advertise nationally if you only earn £X/2 back in sales. Yet by targetting a specific audience (speedway fans via the star and locals with adverts on local tele) your advertising will get a greater return.

Point is, despite the moaning, in the weeks leading up to Cardiff they DO advertise and to the right people. It'd be stupid top advertise to the people in the north 3 months in advance, targetting locals in the week or two before the event is a much better idea.

Finance might play a part.