British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
JT

The World's Top Riders? - Gp & Challenge + Potential Wildcard Averages

This years top 8 should be (in any order)

01 - Greg Hancock

02 - Chris Holder

03 - Jason Crump

04 - Nicki Pedersen

05 - Tomasz Gollob

06 - Fredrik Lindgren

07 - Emil Sayfutdinov

08 - Andreas Jonsson

Wild Cards (almost certain)

09 - Jarek Hampel ........ due to injuries in 2012

10 - Darcy Ward ............ no brainer

11 - Tai Woffinden ........ The only Brit that can be selected

GP Challenge Qualifiers

12 -

13 -

14 -

Final Wild Card Nomination

15 - Martin Vaculik .............. If he fails to qualify

For me its pretty obvious who is going to fill 12 of the 15 places, its now sit back and see who qualifies ...... should Vaculik qualify from the GP Challenge then it would be a suprise to see the rider finishing 4th from the GPC going through also

Wouldn't mind Madsen, MJJ or Watt qualifying, but can see Kasprzak, Iversen and Lindback being spoilers

Either way, this wouldn't be too far off the top 15 riders

Woffinden is not in the top 15 riders in the world.

Methinks neither is Chris Harris!

Although, eternal thanks for one of the greatest British sporting moments ever with his Cardiff win, thank you. What an eternal shame that the BBC on their Sportsman (or is is persons now?) Of The Year Award could not spare just over 60 seconds of footage that would have sent chills down the spine of any sports competitor in the audience and viewers at home. I still watch that race and think he won't win, total goosepimple stuff.

I think the world cup meeting has proven once again tonight that although Harris is struggling badly in the gp's this year, Britain doesn't have anyone better. He was by far our best rider tonight.

Personally I don't think GB should have a rider in the 2013 gp series, I'd much rather see someone like Darcy or Vaculik come in. But if there does have to be a British rider, Bomber is still number 1

I agree that Harris is our best rider, so I would imagine that the organisers are hoping he can get a big finish and make a final or two so they can re-select him.

Harris may be struggling this year, but he is above Woffinden.

Woffinden is not in the top 15 riders in the world.

Nor is Harris, nor is Ljung...........................................................

The GP series produces the best GP rider rankings.

Given that the SGP is now 12 rounds and again uses the less arbitrary round robin format for each GP, it would be reasonable to say the top part of the GP rider rankings and the world's best riders are synonymous. What the GP rankings don't tell you though, is how good riders who don't race in the series are by comparison, and where riders are picked as much for television and sponsorship reasons, there could well be discrepancies in this respect.

Outside of the SGP, by far the best determination of ability is league averages. Whilst obviously not every rider competes in every league, as you say there's enough of a crossover to work out a reasonable coefficient for each league and thereby how an average established in one league might translate to an average in another league. What is less certain though, is where riders compete in more than one league, how should their 2 or 3 averages be weighted relatively to each other. For example, if a rider competes in Poland and Sweden, should they take 50% of each average to work out their overall ranking, or maybe 60-40 in favour of Poland?

• Like 1