British Speedway Forum

The "Joker" should be scrapped as should TRs in the leagues. If you aint good enough to win on your own merit then so be it. Atleast last night in event 2 all four teams were able to use their respective Jokers, this made it a fairer meeting.

I feel that if they are going to keep a double point rule, every team should have one at the start of the meeting and can use it once whenever they wish.

While we are talking of mickey mouse rules, what about GB lastnight being able to put their highest scorer in the lowest scorers place AND on double points. Only to then be able to come out and take his own ride in the highest scoring heat too. THAT is a complete joke® heat 16 should be the cut off for any substitution or double points.

Well said snyper - I 100% agree with you. Very well put. :approve: :approve: :approve:

That "Mickey Mouse" rule also applies in Polish League speedways nominated races...

More of a concern than the joker is having no reserve ,it's a matter of time before we have a pile up in a early heat and a team loses a rider and the meeting is ruined and a teams hopes gone .

Each team should have a reserve who can only take a max of two rides at anytime in the meeting, so not only them a chane to replace the injured rider also stops the kind of stunt the poles pulled in the final the other year ..i expect it won't change thou intill something like the above happens .

• Like 1

Totally agree with the idea of no jokers, but feel the need for some form of replacements when a rider get hurt. ( Poland were lucky when Janowski walked away after last saturday's crash)

My suggestion would be to have 2 reserves, each allowed a max of 2 rides each. (this would stop teams putting their top men in these positions) but would cover any misfortune and stop race manipulations.

There should be reserve no questions about it especially since it's very dangerous sport and injuries are common in don't know what they were thinking when they came out with that idea.

There should be reserve no questions about it especially since it's very dangerous sport and injuries are common in don't know what they were thinking when they came out with that idea.

i Think most fans see it that way it's just common sense . A rider will get injured early doors in one these meetings it's just matter of time it might even happen this week .

Imagine this scenario. 1st heat a rider get injured and is the innocent party, the other rider gets excluded, but we start with a 2 rider race. It's going to happen sooner or later, for christs sake bring back the res. As for the joke, no wonder there's no mention of the SWC on the BBC sport website, unless it's tucked away with the tiddly winks world championship somewhere and i cant find it. This is a great sport, but it gets no coverage (and is treated as a joke) because of things like this.

Each team should have a reserve who can only take a max of two rides at anytime in the meeting, so not only them a chane to replace the injured rider also stops the kind of stunt the poles pulled in the final the other year ..i expect it won't change thou intill something like the above happens .

Something like this did happen before, but reserves were allowed then. 1989 World Team Cup Final - all 4 riders in the opening heat were wiped out of the rest of the meeting. You'd think they would learn from history in case it happened again. I like the "substitute" idea that was raised earlier. That works well.

The Joker is ridiculous and in many cases (eg Poland winning a few years back and Russia on Saturday) grossly unfair on the team that wins on track. It's the daftest rule.

Exactly. If it was any team but GB that pulled that stroke this thread would have reached ten pages by now.

I'm not so sure about that. It's a regular thing for it to be used in that way. Australia would have done exactly the same had the race line-up been different or they felt it was worth waiting. But, yes, allowing not only a Joker but a TS at the same time does make it ridiculous and you can get a 6 point swing in one race rather than 3 points with a straight Joker and wipe out your deficit in one go. It's crazy really.

A quality point was made by David Howe over twitter - he said that the Joker shouldn't be allowed unless you are 8 points behind - that way you can't pull back the entire deficit in 1 race.

A quality point was made by David Howe over twitter - he said that the Joker shouldn't be allowed unless you are 8 points behind - that way you can't pull back the entire deficit in 1 race.

Nope. Would still be daft.

• Like 1

Anyone watching tbe racing we have seen in the SWC will not be thinking its a knockout, they'll be thinking bloody great racing.

I don't like the rule but it's a minor irritation in an otherwise phenomenal competition.

Absolutely spot on.

If it has to be in then 8 points should be the minimum.

How a team 6 down can potentially draw level in one race is plain crazy.

i Think most fans see it that way it's just common sense . A rider will get injured early doors in one these meetings it's just matter of time it might even happen this week .

If say for example Gollob is ruled out after his first ride, why not just say the remaining 3 riders take his rides, (rider must withdraw from meeting through Injury, not some fake headache or whatever). No need for an extra man in the pits.

I have often found this bizarre, if they want to keep the joker, it shouldn't have the effect of rendering the leading teams advantage gone in one race. Its about getting you back into contention, not all of sudden coming from nowhere to lead the meeting....

Edited by noggin

Be careful what you wish for.....

Any self respecting fan of sport, of course wouldnt choose to have rules that were used in 'its a knockout' .... but the simple fact of the matter is that we've just had two fantastic and nailbiting opening rounds. I'm sure that wasnt purely down to the tactical rules, but they certainly allow for what they are designed to ...and that is to allow something to be ridden for, so heads dont go down half way through the meeting because a team is adrift

I tend to agree with others about it being 8 points....... another solution is to stop combining the joker with the tactical ...which would make things harder

but even then after these opening two rounds I cant disagree that what is in place is good for the sport

I have said on this forum for many years, that the joker should be either scrapped or all teams to have a joker, which (nowadays) to be used between heats 5-16.

Why can't all teams have a reserve that could be used just like in the old World Team Cup and numerous four team tournaments, in the past. Allowing the reserve to ride at any time. This would stop a team getting a rider to feign an injury.

If say for example Gollob is ruled out after his first ride, why not just say the remaining 3 riders take his rides, (rider must withdraw from meeting through Injury, not some fake headache or whatever). No need for an extra man in the pits.

For simple reason how do you know when someone is hurt and not fakeing it to gain an advantage ? For example King falls in his first ride and says is arm hurts and he can't ride any more and then the better riders take the rest of his rides .

You got to get the balance right between letting someone replace a injured rider but at the same time not letting that side gain an advantage by doing so ..the idea about having two reserves who can take a max of two rides each sounds perfect .

• Like 1