British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
EC Rides Again

British Final At Wolverhampton, Mon 30th July 2012

Firstly, congratulations to Scott Nicholls. Fantastic Achievement and great racing.

Nicholls is 34 - that is "only" 7 years younger than Mark Loram. He won his first title in 2002, and is a cross over generation from the Screens and Lorams of this world. Nicholls is 12/13 years older than Tai....it is different eras. Woffinden and Harris (8 years older than Woffinden) will be back for more titles.

All 3 can only beat what is put in front of them. Is it the BSPA's fault? Is it that British speedway fans support non-British riders? Or tracks? That is another debate, but it doesn't make Scott Nicholls' achievement any less, especially given the line ups that he beat for his earlier titles.

Also, as a "like for like" progress......Scott Nicholls was a season ending number 1 in an Elite League (stronger 10 years ago) at 23, British Champion at 24. Joe Screen achieved both at younger ages....however, Cook, Roynon, Stead, Kennett, Barker, King cannot match their achievements. Unlikely Bridger will either.

To say that any of these riders will be GP stars of the future is madness when you see their Danish or Polish opposition that are 4/5 years their junior.

On a final "like for like", the line ups used to feature one or two Division 2 riders who had battled through quarter finals etc.....In 1986, Simon Wigg didn't even make the top 10 and missed the Commonwealth final. It was cut throat top flight riders. Nowadays, riders appear happy to get "doubling up" roles rather than push for continental rides in Poland etc.... Olly Allen and Bridger deserve credit for sticking with the top flight when promoters wish to run fewer and fewer meetings. I don't blame the riders for taking an easier living, BSPA make the rules and they can utilise them.......but

Is Glasgow away against Henning Bager better for the career than Poland on a Sunday?

Are you feeling ok? Cook would get smashed to pieces at Cardiff.

Barker and King wouldn't be much better.

Cook can gate so he'd get amongst them and score a few points I reckon. Most importantly he'd gain some valuable experience, he's a young lad heading in the right direction. Riding at Cardiff wouldn't do Barker & King any harm either, they'd both be capable of beating several of the field with Britsh fans behind them.

Anyway Nicholls has got it and I hope he can give us all something to shout about.

• Like 2

Cook can gate so he'd get amongst them and score a few points I reckon. Most importantly he'd gain some valuable experience, he's a young lad heading in the right direction. Riding at Cardiff wouldn't do Barker & King any harm either, they'd both be capable of beating several of the field with Britsh fans behind them.

Anyway Nicholls has got it and I hope he can give us all something to shout about.

Seriously?

There's gating in the Premier and Elite League over here and then there's gating in a GP. Does Cook ride in Poland or Sweden? (genuine question) At 25 I'd hardly describe him as a young lad!

I can't see Barker or King beating anyone other than maybe Iron Man, it's all immaterial anyway as Scotty has deservedly got the ticket.

See you there pal.

Agree, Cook is decent but far away from a rider of Michael Jepsen Jensen's ability but there's no shame in that.

Edited by Jepsen Jensen Racing

Well done to Scotty on his 7th final win last night, a worthy winner. He really seems to find that extra bit of performance and determination for the British Final and it's always great to watch, he and Bomber in particular have some great battles. Having said that, I do think it's bad that he keeps getting the wild card for Cardiff, Scott's had his day in the GPs and hasn't had particularly good wild card appearances in recent years. It would be nice to see him offer the wild card to someone else one year, Woffinden, Barker and Kennett would all have been better choices last year I feel.

Fair play to Mear and King for trying to give it a go again after their crashes, was stunned to see Mear back out after his horrible crash, in 12 years of watching speedway I don't think I've ever seen a rider leave the track in an ambulance and come back out for his next ride! Other sportsmen and especially the overpaid ones should take a look at what these riders put themselves through, quite amazing at times!

Nice to see a standout meeting for Craig Cook, albeit not a great surprise from what I've seen when he's been on TV with Belle Vue. For someone who started the sport so late and who has ridden for such a relatively short time, he's quite a talent and I hope he kicks on and bceomes a top rider. Would be great to see him get picked up by a Polish and/or Swedish team asap. Imagine he'd need more sponsorship to make that possible though.

Seriously?

There's gating in the Premier and Elite League over here and then there's gating in a GP. Does Cook ride in Poland or Sweden? (genuine question) At 25 I'd hardly describe him as a young lad!

I can't see Barker or King beating anyone other than maybe Iron Man, it's all immaterial anyway as Scotty has deservedly got the ticket.

See you there pal.

Seriously! And as someone in their mid thirties I'd call 25 young :D He's probably got 15 years or so of his career left and he's only been riding for three or four so I'd say there is plenty of improvement left in him.

Can't deny Scotty deserves it, he was excellent last night.

Yup, see you in the PoW hopefully :drink:

Seriously! And as someone in their mid thirties I'd call 25 young :D He's probably got 15 years or so of his career left and he's only been riding for three or four so I'd say there is plenty of improvement left in him.

Can't deny Scotty deserves it, he was excellent last night.

Yup, see you in the PoW hopefully :drink:

As someone the same age as yourself I will agree wih that one!

POW with all the riff raff? No ta, I might run into that Jacques woman!! ;):P

• Like 3

While Nicholls, earns it and deserves it, him being at Cardiff again is a bit tiresome..

FWIW, the only people who seem to crave attention more than Jepsen Jensen Racing are those that rise to it every time, the abusing him when he is posting got tedious a while ago, cant believe people still get mugged of by him. :lol:

Edited by wjm
  • Like 1

What fantastic racing. Congratulations to all. Pity they could not get the Union Jack the right way up on the racing bibs.

Regards Pipework

I think Tai after the World Cup showing deserved a shot at Cardiff and also see how he would get on in the mix with the worlds very best. But...

I also agree that the British Champion should be given the wild card, they deserve it after winning the individual event of the year when it comes to british riders.

Sometimes you have to hold your hands up and say the best man won no matter how much Tai or any of them wanted to win, Barker and Stead were good enough to come round and thank the supporters after going out in the semi, Woffinden needs to maybe watch the meeting back and see if he is happy with his actions.

Scott deserves his win.

However it is becoming a farce that we dont select a Wild card like in all other GP`s.

The UK proving just how far we are behind the top nations.

Not at all, I quite like the idea that riders have to 'earn' the right to race at Cardiff. Lets be honest, if it was not Scott, who could we realistically choose? The only other rider of note that could trouble the GP riders is Woffy, but he had his chance in the GPs and did not set it alight either, this is a much fairer way of doing it I believe.

I quite like the way we do it, it adds meaning to winning the British Final, without it, the British Final would be dead.

While Nicholls, earns it and deserves it, him being at Cardiff again is a bit tiresome..

Eer, then the other 15 riders being there are tiresome too, they are in the GPs every other week!

There is one rider who could hold his own in the GP's for Team GB but I don't think he is interested in the Grand Prix Series as he has Workington commitments on Friday night which means he won't be able to attend GP practise.

He was bought from Workington using the money we got from selling Summers i believe.

As far as was said, Edinburgh had bought Cook from Workington.

Cheers

As someone the same age as yourself I will agree wih that one!

POW with all the riff raff? No ta, I might run into that Jacques woman!! ;):P

I doubt it ..no doubt her and her gang will be busy picking people's pockets in the large crowds :P

• Like 1