British Speedway Forum

This forum is not even a 10th of the British Speedway paying support, it is the most outspoken though. There should be a Brit in the GP, as there should be a Pole a Swede or a Dane.

I couldn't give 2 hoots who the Danish wonderkind beat in Denmark. British Speedway is owed by the GP's, if only for providing a starting place for all of these damned Aussies. Yes some of them are very very good, but without the haven of an English speaking nation with a penchant for selecting foreign riders over their own home grown talent, where would they be?

To be in the GP's, you should be the best, the 15 best riders in the world, it shouldnt matter if your from the UK, Azerbaijan or the Columbia, therefore there should be no riders from the UK in the GP's, as there not good enough.

I bet most people, would rather see the 15 best ride against eachother, than sacrificing a rider for a pity brit vote.

• Like 1

I think that the only 'Brits' that will be taken into consideration will be the paymasters at Sky. As long as they desire a Brit in the GP there will be one, 2013 included.

I don't think Sky have as much clout with IMG re the GP series as you give them credit for. They only buy the rights to broadcast the GP's just as the broadcasters in Poland, Sweden Denmark etc. do.

Why any British fan would sooner have MJJ in the GP over Woffinden amazes me! MJJ is talented yes, but Woffinden is only what? 22. He is a great talent too and one who with the right backing could qualify for the top 8 next year in the GPs, it would be tough but he is capable. Hampel, Ward, etc I dont care if they get in or not - Woffinden is the only one I want in, as no GB rider in the GPs would hugely detract from the event for me.

I hope Sky are putting pressure on IMG and that it does sway them. I think Iversen getting in through the challenge makes it more likely that Woffinden will get in.

Edited by RedcarRacer
  • Like 1

Why any British fan would sooner have MJJ in the GP over Woffinden amazes me! MJJ is talented yes, but Woffinden is only what? 22.

And MJJ is only what? 20. The point being?

As a British fan I have to say that all I get out of seeing Bomber in the GPs is to cringe with embarrassment that he is our best. It seems to me it would be better for GB to have at least a year off and put in place a development plan for our young riders rather than pretend they can mix it with the world's elite, which they quite clearly can't.

I don't think Sky have as much clout with IMG re the GP series as you give them credit for. They only buy the rights to broadcast the GP's just as the broadcasters in Poland, Sweden Denmark etc. do.

I think that's a fair point. However, Britain is one of the heartland markets for televised speedway and the Cardiff GP is one of the sport's major showpiece events. So, politically and financially, I would be very surprised if there is no British representation. If that's the case, Woffinden clearly has as good a claim as any other British rider (he's the highest averaging EL Brit by very nearly a point) should he want to pursue a GP place next season.

Why any British fan would sooner have MJJ in the GP over Woffinden amazes me! MJJ is talented yes, but Woffinden is only what? 22. He is a great talent too and one who with the right backing could qualify for the top 8 next year in the GPs, it would be tough but he is capable. Hampel, Ward, etc I dont care if they get in or not - Woffinden is the only one I want in, as no GB rider in the GPs would hugely detract from the event for me.

I hope Sky are putting pressure on IMG and that it does sway them. I think Iversen getting in through the challenge makes it more likely that Woffinden will get in.

Woffinden capable of a top 8 finish in the 2013 GP series :rofl: Oh, that's brightened my monday afternoon.

And why would British fans prefer to see MJJ in the GP's rather than Woffinden? Well, Woffinden doesn't exactly strike many as being red white & blue through & through, and also maybe because MJJ doesn't come across as being a complete knob. ;)

If Woffinden does get a picjk i think he will hold his own in the gp's. He is talented and will only get better.

• Like 1

Hold his own what though?

Do people honestly think he's capable of a top 8 finish next season if he's given the sympathy Brit wild card? Who'd he better over the series to achieve that - Holder, Hancock, Pedersen, Sayfutdinov, Ward, Gollob, Hampel, Iversen, Jonsson?

This forum is not even a 10th of the British Speedway paying support, it is the most outspoken though. There should be a Brit in the GP, as there should be a Pole a Swede or a Dane.

I couldn't give 2 hoots who the Danish wonderkind beat in Denmark. British Speedway is owed by the GP's, if only for providing a starting place for all of these damned Aussies. Yes some of them are very very good, but without the haven of an English speaking nation with a penchant for selecting foreign riders over their own home grown talent, where would they be?

i am very pro england. however we have no rider good enough to be in the gp.

If Woffinden does get a picjk i think he will hold his own in the gp's. He is talented and will only get better.

doudt he will. big head, big mouth, but not a big talent. was but super star syndrone set in to early.

More liked than Woffinden, though that says more about Woffinden than Barker.

That's like saying a kick in the right b0llock is preferable to a kick in the left one...

Frankly, I don't think it has much if anything to do with bums on seats at Cardiff.

No, but everything to do with television viewership. Whilst Sky remain one of the biggest (the biggest?) payers for television rights, then there's going to be a Brit in the series.

With Woffinden's attitude recently I believe it's a given that if he gets the pick & makes top 8 in 2013 he will revert to riding for Australia in the 2014 World Cup and beyond. Without any doubt.

Easy solution as to whether MJJ or Woffinden (or another Brit in the SGP) gets a 2013 SGP pick. You could simply get rid of the Wild Card and then you could fit in MJJ and a Brit into the 2013 SGP if you wanted too.