British Speedway Forum

The problem with the quilification system is that riders who are going well this year do not always go well the next. The only way around this is to have a qualification meeting on the Saturday night where riders who are in form and local riders would be invited to by an organiser/FIM panel to ride, which the top say 4 go into the GP on the Sunday (stuff the Poles like they tried to stuff the GP's) giving a full weekends entertainment for the Speedway public. Cardiff is the only GP i've been to this year & I only went to 2 last season & this seasons Cardiff was my 80th GP.

The Germans turn up in thier tens of thousands for Long Track meetings which give you a weekends racing even though its as dull as dishwater with a ten minute track grade after every 2 heats and the Czech Golden Helmet meeting which no longer attracts all the top riders but still attracts a good crowd.

BECAUSE Hampel effectively missed five rounds and otherwise would have cruised into the top eight after a second and third in the first two GPs... and the same reason why Sayfutdinov got a wild card after an injury-ravaged season.

Not sure how much AJ actually wants it. He is a tough guy to read, puts his heart and soul into it but there is always a suspicion that he just isn't hungry enough.

Totally agree, I think AJ will be disheartened by the fact he has not challenged for top spot this year.

Phil, so how come the 2010 World No 2 is considered a cert, but the 2011 World No 2 is not?

All the best

Rob

Jonsson last three seasons: 9th, 2nd, 9th (probable)

Hampel: 2nd, 3rd, 10th? (with almost half the series missed)

Add to that that there are already two Swedes likely to be in the series, but only one Pole, and I think Hampel is clearly ahead of Jonsson

So, I think 3 of the WC are "nailed on" - Ward, Hampel, Tai.

On the "Tai" thread I've stated my reasons why I believe Britain deserve a spot - but to add to that, World Cup football for example has a certain number of places based on region, to ensure a diversity of countries qualifying (otherwise it is likely there would be no Asian/Oceanian teams in the finals). It's one spot, not the five that used to be gifted to the continentals , so while I respect the views of those who don't believe Britain should get a spot - I think they should get behind Tai 100% .

For the 4th slot I'd suggest there are four contenders (assuming none of these qualify through the Challenge)

AJ - Pros: runner up in 2011, 9th(?) in 2012, Cons: 2nd time in three seasons outside top8, already two Swedes qualified

Vaculik: Excellent pefrmances in GPS, no other Slovakians in field

NKI: Pros: Outstanding rider of 2012 of those outside the GP series. Only one Dane already in field. Cons: Poor GP record

MJJ: Pros: Only one Dane in field, youngest and arguably brightest talent of the lot. Cons: Currently probably the weakest of the 4 riders.

Personally, I'd give it to AJ, but would be a very close call over Vaculik and NKI - so fingers crossed they make it through the Challenge.

Everything will depend on the GP Challenge. The result could give the organisers a helping hand or a big problem with wild cards.

Edited by marky

I know for a fact Tai will be invited, whether he accepts is another story. He's been very open this season concluding he'd only go for it if he had the sponsorship. Darcy will accept his offer this season and most probably sit out of the British EL, or at least that what he's said. Hampel has already been told he's in next year's series - though of course, nothing official has been said.

So assuming Tai and Darcy accept, then that leaves one more spot. As Phil Rising has already hinted, AJ is not certain of an invite next year, and he's right - AJ will NOT be invited back if he fails to make the top 8. Depending on the SGP Challenge result, will mean that Vaculik will be invited in.

I often wonder, as places are so few and far between, what would prevent the organisers from increasing the number of riders in the series... I know it's been mentioend briefly within.

Also, side note - the SGP should have a British representative, and we should encourage our riders to aim for that. It's also very good marketing to have a national 'hero' in the series.

Edited by deadmau5

YOU do NOT know for a fact that Tai will be invited because the decision has not been made. Far from it. And nor is it certain that AJ will not get a call should he, as is likely, finish outside the top eight.

Nothing is decided yet so please do not allude that it is.

• Like 3

I know for a fact Tai will be invited, whether he accepts is another story. He's been very open this season concluding he'd only go for it if he had the sponsorship. Darcy will accept his offer this season and most probably sit out of the British EL, or at least that what he's said. Hampel has already been told he's in next year's series - though of course, nothing official has been said.

So assuming Tai and Darcy accept, then that leaves one more spot. As Phil Rising has already hinted, AJ is not certain of an invite next year, and he's right - AJ will NOT be invited back if he fails to make the top 8. Depending on the SGP Challenge result, will mean that Vaculik will be invited in.

What a load of fictional rubbish. .

Edited by marky

Tai is terrible., He should be nowhere near the SGP series.

Jepsen Jensen needs to be in the SGP series, Please not a tried and tested failure like Niels who goes missing when the pressure is on.

So, I think 3 of the WC are "nailed on" - Ward, Hampel, Tai.

I'm not sure you could say anything for certain until after the Gorican qualifier.

Those riders may be most likely. However...

Would Jarek still receive a place and make it 5 Poles if Kasprzak, Miedzinski and Walasek all qualified?

Would Ward still get a place and make it 5 Aussies if Watt and Batchelor both qualified?

OK, both those scenarios are unlikely, but anything can happen in a one off meeting....

Whats the point of qualifiers ?

It appears a farce?

Face fits?

Right country?

How many others from your country in the GP already?

Injured so welcome back?

Work out a system that gets the best 15 or 20 riders in the GPs

Whats the point of qualifiers ?

It appears a farce?

Face fits?

Right country?

How many others from your country in the GP already?

Injured so welcome back?

Work out a system that gets the best 15 or 20 riders in the GPs

They should use league matches and riders with highest averages in the 2 toughest leagues which are Poland and Sweden.

It is a silly how there is no Walasek,Laguta,Koldodziej in the SGP series for next year.

Looking at the qualifyers, do we really want to see Walasek, Dryml and Ljung back in the series, but if they qualifyer then they will be in it and it will not be the best riders. I think every year 1 rider has qualified and looked out of place, hope its not 3 next season.

Looking at the qualifyers, do we really want to see Walasek, Dryml and Ljung back in the series, but if they qualifyer then they will be in it and it will not be the best riders. I think every year 1 rider has qualified and looked out of place, hope its not 3 next season.

I agree it's not always the top riders that qualify the series should have the best 16 riders in the world in it.I think Ward and M.V should certainly be in it i wouldn't have a British rider in it either. Therefore AJ should be ok and on form in all leagues Iversen deserves a place.Another point is if MJJ doesn't qualify on merit i hope he doesn't sneak his way in because in my opinion he wouldn't of deserved it.