British Speedway Forum

MJJ does deserve it, His performances in the world cup were "World Class" and He is ready for the SGP Series.

And so are others, world cup performances are not enough he has tailed off badly(when hear?) in the EL and he had a month at reserve average well under 8.If he qualifies no one will be more pleased than me because he is class but overall consistency over a period others are more deserved.

And so are others, world cup performances are not enough he has tailed off badly(when hear?) in the EL and he had a month at reserve average well under 8.If he qualifies no one will be more pleased than me because he is class but overall consistency over a period others are more deserved.

Leading the U21 Series

Fantastic performance in the SWC.

He didn't have a month at reserve, He had 3 matches at reserve where he scored 16 from 6, 17 from 7 and 18 from 7 on his first visit to Eastbourne, He definately deserves a wild-card in my opinion.

Much more deserving than the likes of Woffinden.

Edited by THJRacing

The problem with the quilification system is that riders who are going well this year do not always go well the next.

You could say the same about Champions League football for example. The only way around tghis would be to stage qualifier sat the start of the season, but I think that is simply not practical due to the level of commitment (sponsors etc) required to compete in the GP, unfair on clubs not knowing if a rider will be in the GP etc.

YOU do NOT know for a fact that Tai will be invited because the decision has not been made. Far from it. Nothing is decided yet so please do not allude that it is.

Unless you are one of the people who makes that decision, you can't know for sure that that's the case surely?

I'm not sure you could say anything for certain until after the Gorican qualifier.

Those riders may be most likely. However...

Would Jarek still receive a place and make it 5 Poles if Kasprzak, Miedzinski and Walasek all qualified?

Would Ward still get a place and make it 5 Aussies if Watt and Batchelor both qualified?

OK, both those scenarios are unlikely, but anything can happen in a one off meeting....

I'd suspect that even in those cases, Ward and Hampel would still get picks. Ward is a sensational talent, and from both a sporting and commerical perspective its hard to see IMG leaving him out. It would be farcical if Hampel got left out, and I can't think of any instances where someone so deserving of a pick was ignored.

I agree it's not always the top riders that qualify the series should have the best 16 riders in the world in it.I think Ward and M.V should certainly be in it i wouldn't have a British rider in it either. Therefore AJ should be ok and on form in all leagues Iversen deserves a place.Another point is if MJJ doesn't qualify on merit i hope he doesn't sneak his way in because in my opinion he wouldn't of deserved it.

Sidney - previously you've been pretty vocal about increasing the number of slots available to qualifiers from outside the GP and reducing the number of "awarded" slots, despite the fact that the latter is a more effective way of ensuring the best riders are in the series. Have you changed your viewpoint?

Of course one issue is that without psychic powers, you can never be certain that the 15 riders you think will be the best in 2013 will actually be the best come next year - but best you can do is take past performances (along with a subjective view on "potential") to choose this.

The best way to ensure the top riders qualified may be to replace the knock out qualifiers with a qualifying series, and perhaps bonus points awarded additionally for performances in domestic leagues, WC events, U21 WC? However, not sure that would be practical, and the current system does at leave the possibility, however remore, of a romantic surprise qualifier.

Whats the point of qualifiers ?

It appears a farce?

Face fits?

Right country?

How many others from your country in the GP already?

Injured so welcome back?

Work out a system that gets the best 15 or 20 riders in the GPs

Whats the point of qualifiers ? To allow riders the opportunity to qualify on merit from outside the series?

It appears a farce? Care to elaborate?

Face fits?Right country?How many others from your country in the GP already? The world's two largest sporting events, World Cup football and Olympics have restrictions on number of participants from any particular regio/country. Formula I awards all the driving sports based on a range of factors (including commercial).

Injured so welcome back? Were/are you really opposed to Emil and Nikci being granted Wildcards last year, or Hampel next year? Do you think the GP is better or worse for their inclusion?

Work out a system that gets the best 15 or 20 riders in the GPs. Any suggestions? Get rid of qualifiers and just award places based on certain criteria?

Whats the point of qualifiers? If you dont qualify and your face fits you get in?

it appears a farce? if you havent qualified had a bad year or 2 you still might get in? (elaborate enough!)

Right Country? Its not the Olympics or Football! (They had a few more people involved than 15!) If Harris was from any other speedway country he would not be in! (And I like watching him!!!!)

Injured! Not opposed to Emil or Nikki being in GP at all they both spice it up! as does Hampel. But what is the limit? any defined rules? or just made up on an annual basis?

How can any Rider know whats expected of them if the rules are a complete blur? is Harris in next year? is Tai in next year? Will it be top 8? top 10? or what they feel like at the time?

Needs some definition! Top 7 re-qualify, 2 injury places awarded if you were in the top 7 when the injury occures. End of season qualifiers finals! 2 qualification finals top 2 go through from each (You dont enter if you dont want to ride in GP but you are contracted to if you enter), 2 places from league combination averages (Pick any 2 top leagues)

Just a quick guess

The world's two largest sporting events, World Cup football and Olympics have restrictions on number of participants from any particular regio/country.

Not sure I follow the logic here. Other than the host team, none of the other teams are handpicked for the tournaments or because it's commercially desirable for them to be in. What's more, just about every country in the world has the opportunity to qualify, however remote.

Formula I awards all the driving sports based on a range of factors (including commercial).

It's not entirely comparable to other sports because teams are needed to invest in and develop the cars. In principle though, there aren't any barriers to new teams joining F1 beyond large amounts of money.

With respect to the drivers themselves, I think it would be hard to argue that most of the best drivers in the world aren't in F1, unless you discount those who've opted for other formulas.

MJJ does deserve it, His performances in the world cup were "World Class" and He is ready for the SGP Series.

Really?

Considering Tai has recently been promoted to the number one position at wolverhampton and has been on a consistent 8+ average all year, I beg to differ.

MJJ is on 6.58. I honestly fail to see your logic.

HAD a long conversation with the man who does make the decision over the weekend and I do know for a fact that NO decisions have been made.

Dave, however MJJ have done better then Tai in both Poland and Sweden.

Edited by Ghostwalker

HAD a long conversation with the man who does make the decision over the weekend and I do know for a fact that NO decisions have been made.

Is he the same man who writes the weekly Chris Harris Grand Prix press release?

Is he the same man who writes the weekly Chris Harris Grand Prix press release?

THE very same!

In actual fact, various people including yours truly are encouraged to provide an opinion but, at the end of the day, it comes down to a consultation process between BSI (Paul Bellamy) and the FIM (Roy Otto, head of the CCP, and Tony Olsson).

Leading the U21 Series

Fantastic performance in the SWC.

He didn't have a month at reserve, He had 3 matches at reserve where he scored 16 from 6, 17 from 7 and 18 from 7 on his first visit to Eastbourne, He definately deserves a wild-card in my opinion.

Much more deserving than the likes of Woffinden.

Yes he is more deserving than Woffinden and I think he has a good shout .I hope we don't have a englishmen in it because we don't deserve one.

HI Phil, I appreciate you may have spoken to the 'man' who does make the decision, but equally I know for a fact Hampel and Ward WILL be invited. Hampel HAS been told he'll be in next year - that doesn't mean he's been invited, but he's certainly been told to prepare for next season. I am happy to prove this offline if you so wish. As for Ward, he is nailed on - he was asked last year and said no, he's one of the sport's top talent - so the organisers would be rather stupid not inviting him. HE'LL be in trust me.

Also, Ford's beloved Poole will also force through a squad system in the not to distant future for the 'benefit of the sport' of course.

I appreciate you work closely within the sport, but equally, so DO I... I respect your position and but please don't disregard my comments just because you;ve been told something different. If we're both being told different things from reliable sources, then only one of us can be right...

If Ward and Hampel are not in the 2013 series, then I will say I was wrong...

Out of interest, would you invite a Brit, and if so WHO? Or, can you not answer that because of your position :)

What a load of fictional rubbish. .

Errr, not really! OK then, no Ward or Hampel next year. I'll take a note of your comment for next season when they are both IN the series.