British Speedway Forum
Needles

John Berry Tribute Meeting 23rd August

I know this has already been mentioned in the Ipswich 2012 Thread, but thought this deserved a thread of its' own.

It's been confirmed that a John Berry Tribute Meeting will take place at Ipswich on 23rd August, with the Witches facing Rye House Rockets (complete with Kevin Doolan as a guest for Anders Mellgren). It will be run over the old 13 heat forumla, followed by the "Champion of the Evening", just as it was in John Berry's day. A souvenir programme will be produced and there is a link for on-line tributes to John Berry. Full details can be found on the Witches website here:

http://www.ipswichwitches.co/

This meeting is a disgrace to be called a Tribute to the great man John Berry!!! Riding Rye House for the umpteenth time this season is really only a date filler on the cheap and any fan who is a realist will recognise that fact. So whereas all those who remember John as the greatest promoter ever and would have loved a true tribute meeting with star riders to support him and show their appreciation in what he has done for Ipswich Witches, will not attend now. Its sad indeed that louis is taking the micky out of the Witches fans yet again and using a great mans name to do it - disgusting :mad:

So you won't be going then?

This meeting is a disgrace to be called a Tribute to the great man John Berry!!! Riding Rye House for the umpteenth time this season is really only a date filler on the cheap and any fan who is a realist will recognise that fact. So whereas all those who remember John as the greatest promoter ever and would have loved a true tribute meeting with star riders to support him and show their appreciation in what he has done for Ipswich Witches, will not attend now. Its sad indeed that louis is taking the micky out of the Witches fans yet again and using a great mans name to do it - disgusting :mad:

Should do the right thing and organise it properly or not at all

What seems to be forgotten is that 3 of who were so heavily involved with JB for all those years have been talking to Ipswich Speedway and John's lady "Linda" since his demise. It was the express wish of Linda Berry that we did NOT arrange any form of religious service to commemorate his wonderful years @ Foxhall.. It was her wish to have a "Speedway meeting" which would reflect his love of all matters Foxhall. I am personally by NO means associated in any way with the Promotion, but it must be said that they have been really helpful, as indeed have Spedeworth. Also we have spoken with "Leaping Len" who was more than helpful.Always difficult to know what to do...and frankly whatever we do will not be enough.

Thus far we have almost 20 "old boys" who made up the Witches team in JB's tenure, plus many of those in the back up team of people who helped run the meetings.

It is always difficult to know what to do but we are hoping that fans will take time out to meet the "Boys", and with Ray Walters @ Orwell m/cycles..and me @ Travel Plus Tours we will be sponsoring the event, as you never know how any of us will be around in the coming years. The "Old Boys" will be at the 2nd bend sponsorship lounges and to a man have asked for all friends who make the event to come along for a chat about the old times....sadly some 30 years ago...but still wonderful years.

Just putting forward the "Facts", so that everyone is aware of the wishes of the family, and those of us, from Gatemen to Clerk of the Course, who were REALLY involved with the making of what was a truly memorable team are looking forward to seeing each other again at what is a sad time.

Ok now !!

JAMES EASTER

Travel Plus Tours

• Like 2

I think it's time this armhole was outed and banned, his ip address should be blocked permanently come on Phil?

• Like 1

I think it's time this armhole was outed and banned, his ip address should be blocked permanently come on Phil?

Totally agree, along with all Witches fans (i hope). Getting Len to bring his team to Foxhall was an obvious choice in most peoples eyes, i cant think of another promoter who is still going from the days of JB. Len didn't often get one over us in those days, but i still remember one day when he did, he was on the back on the truck waving his arms around and really stirring all of us up, bless him!!

Totally agree, along with all Witches fans (i hope). Getting Len to bring his team to Foxhall was an obvious choice in most peoples eyes, i cant think of another promoter who is still going from the days of JB. Len didn't often get one over us in those days, but i still remember one day when he did, he was on the back on the truck waving his arms around and really stirring all of us up, bless him!!

Thank you....JB will be honoured in the very best way we can...I really appreciate your remarks.

I've spoken to several Witches fans and they all agree that Leaping Len is the obvious choice, and if fact I can't think of anyone better! There are also some people who no longer attend regularly due to other committments, who are planning to be there. They felt both the opposing team and format were a fitting tribute, which they are.

And if the mods won't ban the "person"( and I use that term loosely), then everyone should just ignore him. If no-one bites it'll run out of bait eventually!

And such is his legacy still appreciated by all Ipswich Fans, he along with Rico made the ITV Anglia news tonight:

http://www.itv.com/news/anglia/

scroll down a couple of items.

Oh to see the terraces with crowds like those in the video.

All Ipswich fans are indebted to JB and as an ex Rayleigh supporter I have very fond memories of the clashes with the Ipswich team and the great support that travelled down to the Rayleigh Weir. The back straight packed with Ippo fans was a sight to behold. Next best thing to the clashes with the Romford Bombers.

I for one will go along to the meeting and people like Len Silver are one of the few in the business today that can stand proud alongside JB. Both knew how to promote and run meetings, get the best out of the riders and make sure a meeting was on even in the most adverse weather conditions unlike the whimps of today. Sawdust rules!!!

JB earned the respect and all loyal fans past and present should turn out to honour the one person who did Ipswich proud and would have made speedway a far better product then it has turned out.

• Like 3

Aarron Summers replaces Kevin Doolan who replaced Anders Mellgren... Ben Morley replaces Jason Garrity

While I disagree with most of his/her posts, you can't just ban someone because you disagree with them... Whatever happened to free speech?

Aarron Summers replaces Kevin Doolan who replaced Anders Mellgren... Ben Morley replaces Jason Garrity

Nicolai Klindt for Charlie Gjedde and R/R for Luke Bowen.

taken from www.ipswichwitches.co

Nicolai Klindt for Charlie Gjedde and R/R for Luke Bowen.

taken from www.ipswichwitches.co

You'd have though an additional guest would've been drafted in in place of rider replacement.