British Speedway Forum
Daniel Smith

King's Lynn Stars 2013

He certainly got his form back last night Star Fever, but does need to be be a bit more consistant.

What 8 points from 6 rides top form that is

What 8 points from 6 rides top form that is

Who mentioned "top form" game on, also maybe I should have put a smiley face on comment as 03230 is not consistant.

But 8 from a 7point average rider on an away track is not too bad

It'd be great to have Niels back, sure but there are two riders I'd love Lynn to keep hold of....

Kevin Wolbert for me is a MUST!!! He is just a pleasure to watch and NEVER gives up;

Mateusz Szczepaniak is the other - he rides sensibly and steadily and like KW he races for all four laps.

So, thats our no.1 and the reserves sorted - in between I'd be happy to see Mads back too if he can get his 2011 form back.

The chances of fitting in both kevin and Mateusz at reserve must be pretty slim. Not unless you have no recognised 2nd heatleader to save points. On or the other will have to be at #2 I'd have thought.

As for Mads, the likelyhood is that 2011 was a flash in the pan, he is an inconsistent 6.5-7 point rider. But he's quite likable and probably worth signing on his current average, it shouldn't get any worse.

Who mentioned "top form" game on, also maybe I should have put a smiley face on comment as 03230 is not consistant.

But 8 from a 7point average rider on an away track is not too bad

He could of had more but he got caught jumping the starts about three times

As popular as Mads is he was unable to make the second heatleader berth his own and as such on his average I don't think we can risk having him back in 2013. Mateuz is more than capable of riding at number 2 IMO. If Wolbert is joined by a three of four pointer at reserve with Puk at 1 that gives scope to rebuild the middle order and get the engine room of the team right for next season.

I’m still of the impression, we need to be strong at the top end and therefore need 3 good heat leaders. It all very well having a decent middle order but when teams come to NA we need good top end riders to win heats because we lose too many points at home. If we can’t be solid at home we will finish up again, where we did this year.

To me Niels should be the first name on the list and make him Captain.

1. Neils K Iversen. 8.79

2. K. Wolbert:. 5.03

3. Rory Schlein:. 7.23 eg./ or similar

4 D. Nermark . 5.20

5. C. Harris. . 7.55 eg./ or similar (S. Nicholls)

6. K. Smith: . 3.73

7. L. Eklof: 3.00

Total: 40.60

This team offers 3 leaders to win races, we then have 2 good solid middle order, and 2 reserves that will only get better.

I would always choose Nermark over Szczepaniak, both are on a similar average, but feel Dan battles for places more and would produce better on away tracks..

• Like 1

I would always choose Nermark over Szczepaniak, both are on a similar average, but feel Dan battles for places more and would produce better on away tracks..

The problem with Nermark is he has no team ethic at all. If he's in front of a team mate chasing down an opposing ride when he's clearly the slower rider he'll never give his place up at all costs. It really lets him down.

Edit: Forgot to add, I'd be well chuffed if that team lined up in 2013

Edited by screamer
  • Like 1

You need at least one strong reserve, with all due respect to Kozza and Linus we would struggle big time if they lined up together at reserve. The only reason Poole have done well this year with weak reserves is that they have the top two riders in the league. TBH I didn't realise Nermark's average was so low, as disappointing as he has been this year thats a tempting figure and it would be a tough choice between him and Mateuz.......

You need at least one strong reserve, with all due respect to Kozza and Linus we would struggle big time if they lined up together at reserve. The only reason Poole have done well this year with weak reserves is that they have the top two riders in the league. TBH I didn't realise Nermark's average was so low, as disappointing as he has been this year thats a tempting figure and it would be a tough choice between him and Mateuz.......

I think that you are underestimating Kozza & Linus.Linus looked good on sky on monday night & I haven't seen many better reserves around norfolk arena than Kozza! But I do agree it might be worth taking a punt on Dan!

As popular as Mads is he was unable to make the second heatleader berth his own and as such on his average I don't think we can risk having him back in 2013. Mateuz is more than capable of riding at number 2 IMO. If Wolbert is joined by a three of four pointer at reserve with Puk at 1 that gives scope to rebuild the middle order and get the engine room of the team right for next season.

I still think that we need 2 strong riders at no.1 & no.5.Iversen & Batchelor would be my choice,as they both ride the norfolk arena well.

• Like 1

Since Linus signed for Poole he not been that bad score wise. There would be far worse out there on a 3 average. Although I think him being back a Poole is more likely.

Don't get me wrong, I think Linus and Kozza would both do ok but I'd only want one of them in the side at any one time as I think we need a reserve who can score big and win matches, like Howe, Szczepaniak and Wolbert have this year. The problem has been the positions 3, 4 & 5 in the team, that is the area we need to get right without taking away from the reserve strength we have often had. Not an easy task.

For me, the home form this year has been most disappointing. Whilst I firmly believe you win and lose as a team, the team was always bound to struggle at home with Korneliussen as the 2nd heat leader. No lack of effort, but he just is not a second heat leader in my eyes.

A decent 2nd heat leader is required, and a more consistent middle order would be nice aswell!

Nermark struggled a lot during the season, but strangely enough early in the season in a second string role, he was largely doing fine.

On a 5.2 - 5.30 average, I'd have him back in a jiffy. He needs to grow the beard back in the winter aswell.

I'd also bring back Olly Allen. He has his critics, but we really missed him this year. He's dependable, and could usually guarantee 7-9 points from him at home. We could have done with that numerous times.

Something like:

1 Kenneth Bjerre

2 Daniel Nermark

3 Oliver Allen

4 Maciej Janowski

5 Rory Schlein

6 Lasse Bjerre

7 Jason Garrity/Ashley Birks

• Like 1

For me, the home form this year has been most disappointing. Whilst I firmly believe you win and lose as a team, the team was always bound to struggle at home with Korneliussen as the 2nd heat leader. No lack of effort, but he just is not a second heat leader in my eyes.

A decent 2nd heat leader is required, and a more consistent middle order would be nice aswell!

Nermark struggled a lot during the season, but strangely enough early in the season in a second string role, he was largely doing fine.

On a 5.2 - 5.30 average, I'd have him back in a jiffy. He needs to grow the beard back in the winter aswell.

I'd also bring back Olly Allen. He has his critics, but we really missed him this year. He's dependable, and could usually guarantee 7-9 points from him at home. We could have done with that numerous times.

Something like:

1 Kenneth Bjerre

2 Daniel Nermark

3 Oliver Allen

4 Maciej Janowski

5 Rory Schlein

6 Lasse Bjerre

7 Jason Garrity/Ashley Birks

Think Bjerre would be a horrendous signing. Riding poor enough before his broken leg!

Don't get me wrong, I think Linus and Kozza would both do ok but I'd only want one of them in the side at any one time as I think we need a reserve who can score big and win matches, like Howe, Szczepaniak and Wolbert have this year. The problem has been the positions 3, 4 & 5 in the team, that is the area we need to get right without taking away from the reserve strength we have often had. Not an easy task.

The reserves in a team are not expected to win races, they are expected to beat the opposition reserves. I agree with you that Howe, Szczepaniak and Wolbert have scored well at reserves this year, but this was because the likes of Mads and Magic wasn't that consistant. With a top five, like I have said above, the reserves would only have cover 2 heats, and I'm sure Kozza and Linus could do that.....

I think the idea that Lynn could afford Puk, Harris and Schlein is pie in the sky anyway, perhaps two of them at a push but certainly not all three on the money they would want. As for Kenneth, on an average of just over 8 I think he'd be good value. He was scoring well again after an awful start to the season and if the likes of Holder, Ward & Woffinden carry out their threats to give the UK a miss next year he'd be a bargain.