British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mimmo

Young Stars

It is a professional sport .,not run in a professional way ,unfortunatly the co- ordinator of this league is in my opinion incompetent..

It is a professional sport .,not run in a professional way ,unfortunatly the co- ordinator of this league is in my opinion incompetent..

Dont think you can call the NL professional can you??

Dont think you can call the NL professional can you??

My thinking was that a co-ordinator was needed for the old C/L leagues as teams were made up of mostly young lads coming into the sport, those being students who on times couldn't get to some away meetings because of exams. Fathers/ friends had difficulty driving youngsters to meetings. So I never really thought of it being a professional league. Nowadays don't really know what its suppose to be and I fear that is where our problems lie. Is the N/L a 3rd league and run as the prem? . Is it a developement league as its full of riders with PL experience.? I'm a strong believer in bringing on our young brits and do my best to help them, but I must admit I'm bewildered.

It is, and should be, in my opinion, the stepping stone between the amateur/MDL meetings and the PL. Using the Heathens as an example as I watch them regularly, the club has given Morris and Perry three years of riding against a better quality of rider so they can improve and they have raised their game to the point that they're now regular PL reserves. Without the NL as it is now they would either be riding amateur level or perhaps a much weaker NL than it is now. Had that been the case they would have not had the level of competition required to improve and get the PL places they now hold. Also, Ritchings and Greenwood have been given a taster of PL action but come up short this season. Hopefully next season they become the next big improvers and are able to gain, and retain, a PL place.

The experience that older riders have can be very valuable to those younger riders prepared to listen. I remember Hancock/Hamill stating they were still learning from Les Collins back in '96 when we raced as Cradley & Stoke. I also believe that having to chase down PL quality riders that are doubling-down is important as it gives them a 'marker' as to where they need to be to compete at that level. For example, Roynon may well be one of he best riders to have ever ridden at this level but he's only a 3rd heat leader with a 7-point average at PL level. Knowing where you are in relation to someone like him (or R Worrall, Birks, Haines etc) really is important to a rider wanting to progress to a higher level.

Quite a few NL riders have ridden PL this season. Surely that's the aim. We should be developing our own talent through the various levels to a point that they move up through the PL hopefully on to the EL. This should reduce the need for foreign imports and reduce costs throughout the sport in this country.

I fear that without this valuable stepping stone to the PL fewer Brits will be riding to a level where the PL Promoters sit up and take notice. Would Perry, Morris, Greenwood and Ritichings have been given PL outings had they not been impressing in a strong NL? If it were a weaker league the PL Promoters may look at those riders and think ok 'x' is averaging 10 but who is he really beating?

Now all of that said I acknowledge that it's a slightly strange league in that clubs have different agendas and it's not easy for some clubs to make it pay. It's not, nor should it be allowed to become, all doom and gloom though. Buxton, as a good example, may operate on a shoe-string but the club had great success recently. Swindon attract a good crowd but haven't won the league since God was a lad. I would hate to lose Buxton. It would be a very sad day indeed as I believe what has been achieved there in the past, and hopefully in the future, is fantastic. But having had recent success it's clearly not the league structure that is the root cause of any problems there. There may be problems throughout the leagues and some action may be required but I do not believe weakening our product, at any level, is the answer.

Good post 20th century heathen, and i agree with most of it,,Unfortunately i can see some promoters less well supported than Dudley and Mildenhall insisting on a reduction in the points limit if they are to carry on in the National league .We all know this will not produce better racing..Ideally we could do with 10 clubs of the same ilk as Dudley and Mildenhall but that wont happen.so a compromise needs to be reached other wise i fear for the future of this league in its present form...