British Speedway Forum
Friddy75

Sheffield 2013

I think Albin could turn out to be something quite special. Have faith.

• Like 2

Albin now confirmed. Huge gamble, especially with Koppe already in on an assessed 5.00, hopefully it pays off.

Albin now confirmed. Huge gamble, especially with Koppe already in on an assessed 5.00, hopefully it pays off.

Is Dick Barrie thrown in as a bonus.

Believe he has bought Complin's engines and has two newish frames.

saw him a few times at berwick and armadale where he wiped out 4th bend fence and i think he will need a few more than 2 frames a big gamble

Edited by mac101

3 assessed 5pt men puts a fair bit of pressure on the top guys,I dont think Stead will find it as easy as some make out need a fair bit of dirt down for him and Hall IMO.

I wish he was coming to Berwick :( can't wait till Sheffield visit next season, want to see the smug smiles wiped off the doubters faces :) x

• Like 1

3 assessed 5pt men puts a fair bit of pressure on the top guys,I dont think Stead will find it as easy as some make out need a fair bit of dirt down for him and Hall IMO.

3?

I remember when Sheffield were THE team to fear, their '99 team with Wilson at No.1 was one of the best ever PL teams in my opinion. What's gone wrong? This side is shaping up to be woeful, no offence to Haines but he's no senior second string and the two newcomers are unlikely to match their starting figures. It reminds me of the kind of team Plymouth have put out in the past two years.

Although I can understand wanting to rebuild, in Newport's last season, signing a 5 point newcomer (Mark Jones) probably cost us a genuine challenge for the league title. Aside from doing things on the cheap, why not sign someone proven like Schramm, who will at least maintain his starting figure and knows all the tracks?

JT.

Edited by JT

By the same token, perhaps the "fans" who stayed away in 2012 and are promising to do the same next year are now also getting precisely what they deserve.

Criticism is one thing, but boycotting the club benefits no-one and can only lead to further decline

I don't think its a boycott so much as people saying they are not coming because the team isn't good enough. Unless they are imbeciles, they must know that that puts the clubs future at risk and consequently I'd say they don't care that much whether it runs or not.

Blaming the fans and adopting Elephantman's view of 'take what you are given, don't moan and be grateful' though, is wholly wrong. If the promotion puts out a side full of gambles when they at least in theory could have put out a far stronger team, then they are as culpable as any stay away fan.

An absolute massive gamble by the Promotion, I just hope that it pays off, because if it does not then it could be the end.

But looking at the team we do have three riders on assessed averages and generally you find that riders on assessed average suffer a drop in those averages so there is potential to make some big changes to the team.

But this is Sheffield we are talking about and they don't usually make quick changes, so the Promotion needs to probably change how they run the team and get tough if they need to.

I have deep reservations about Richard Hall, and he owes the Sheffield Promotion for the faith that they have shown in him, its time for him to put up and shut up, the promises have to stop and time to score some points away from Sheffield. .

Fair, reasonable and totally honest :approve:.

The one thing we don't blame for the low crowd level is the crash of the

economy.

I have many friends who run there own companies and all are suffering, and it's not due to a bad product.

Yes, it wasn't the best side to represent Sheffield for a long time, but I did get fed up with people telling me, "If we had a winning team this place would be full"

Well, runners up in 2011, with a cracking entertaining team. And no the place wasn't full. Fuller than 2o12 but still not full.

Let's just keep our fingers crossed that the new guys find there feet quickly, and we become a force to rekon with.

Turn up at the start of the season and give them a chance and let's see what happens. You can have a moan if it doesn't work, but give me a break.

The recession has affected numbers but qas it so much worse in 2012 than 2011 ?

There's no doubt in my mind that the disastrous drop in attendances at Owlerton last season was primarily down to the team with hundreds missing from the year before.

Its why the team line up this year had to be impressive, and it isn't.

A fair point,but i bet you if you looked at the losses last year by having a poor team,ill bet you a pound they were comparable with the losses during 2011 with they had what i think was the best team in the league that year,huge points scored home and away by the likes of Parker,Ashworth and Auty wouldnt have come cheap

Its a vicious circle,and at the moment i honestly think sticking to a strict budget is the way to survive,and i think,reading between the lines,surviving is the most important thing in speedway at the moment,not just at Sheffield

I honestly don't know what the financial position was in 2011 but as far as I am aware there were no announcements on the lines of 'another season like that and we are finished' as there has been after 2012.

I think there is a balance between financial expediency and ensuring that the team is attractive enough to pull in the punters. Scunny seem to have got it spot on; Sheffield got it badly wrong last season, and I think they have done so this year too.

• Like 2

I remember when Sheffield were THE team to fear, their '99 team with Wilson at No.1 was one of the best ever PL teams in my opinion. What's gone wrong? This side is shaping up to be woeful, no offence to Haines but he's no senior second string and the two newcomers are unlikely to match their starting figures. It reminds me of the kind of team Plymouth have put out in the past two years.

Although I can understand wanting to rebuild, in Newport's last season, signing a 5 point newcomer (Mark Jones) probably cost a genuine challenge for the league title. Aside from doing things on the cheap, why not sign someone proven like Schramm, who will at least maintain his starting figure and knows all the tracks?

The problem is that after blowing up a couple of engines, Schramm only managed to see out the 2012 season with help from Chris Mills. Riders are finding it really tough, especially if they have got family / jobs which make it difficult to justify the expenditure. Richie Hawkins packed it in because he couldn't make the racing pay.

• Like 1

Have you been to Argentina? Or just seen videos?

I have been to Argentina and see him race, the four points he scored in the u21's was four thirds and only beat another Argy rider. He is way off the standard of Covatti, Sanchez or Husman but you can't knock his spirit

Blaming the fans and adopting Elephantman's view of 'take what you are given, don't moan and be grateful' though, is wholly wrong. If the promotion puts out a side full of gambles when they at least in theory could have put out a far stronger team, then they are as culpable as any stay away fan.

I would hope that my posts don't need your slant or interpretation. All I am saying is that I'm sick to death of some of the people who post on this forum that have nothing positive to say about Sheffield, either the team being put together or the promotion. Every winter the same names appear spouting the same drivel. Fortunately you are in the minority as the silent majority may not post an opinion but the certainly do use the like button.

I've spent 50+ years participating in and supporting team sports; in all that time I've not experienced one team perform well when there is constant criticism and negative comments from their so called support. On the other hand I've seen average teams perform brilliantly when everyone gets behind them.

All you whingers really need to decide what you want; a team to support that will do it's best or a team like England's football team that can't perform at Wembley because the slightest error or mistake has every so called fan and journalist on their backs? I know which camp I'm in.

• Like 5

I would hope that my posts don't need your slant or interpretation. All I am saying is that I'm sick to death of some of the people who post on this forum that have nothing positive to say about Sheffield, either the team being put together or the promotion. Every winter the same names appear spouting the same drivel. Fortunately you are in the minority as the silent majority may not post an opinion but the certainly do use the like button.

I've spent 50+ years participating in and supporting team sports; in all that time I've not experienced one team perform well when there is constant criticism and negative comments from their so called support. On the other hand I've seen average teams perform brilliantly when everyone gets behind them.

All you whingers really need to decide what you want; a team to support that will do it's best or a team like England's football team that can't perform at Wembley because the slightest error or mistake has every so called fan and journalist on their backs? I know which camp I'm in.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

So basicly what you are saying is if you are served up poo ... you have to eat it ?