British Speedway Forum
Friddy75

Sheffield 2013

I think that all clubs have to live within their means. If we think back to the successful Sheffield sides of Sean Wilson, Andre Compton, Simon stead first time around. Supplemented with decent guys like lee Complin, Simon Cartwright etc, with the odd foreigner to supplement that.

But you look at that top 3 I mentioned top riders, but all English and probably not expensive travel wise, scored massive points made Sheffield hard nut to crack. Maybe not enough English riders of this ilk and inferior foreign riders who want big bucks who could not lace Sean Wilson s boots. Just maybe not enough too end home grown talent.

• Like 1

Forget Sheffield finances for a moment and forget whether you think Ricky Wells is worth the same money as last season or more.

Why did the Promotion approach him with an offer of reduced terms, after he stated at the end of the season that he had lost money riding for Sheffield, what did they think the answer would be.

If we have a budget then fair enough, but why approach a rider with reduced terms from last season after he has claimed he lost money, why not approach other riders with those terms.

Forget Sheffield finances for a moment and forget whether you think Ricky Wells is worth the same money as last season or more.

Why did the Promotion approach him with an offer of reduced terms, after he stated at the end of the season that he had lost money riding for Sheffield, what did they think the answer would be.

If we have a budget then fair enough, but why approach a rider with reduced terms from last season after he has claimed he lost money, why not approach other riders with those terms.

i would think the answer to that is simple ,they payed him over the odds last year beliving he would be no 1

• Like 3

In this week's comic - Ricky Wells and Richard Hall have been earmarked for the last 2 places in the team, but David Hoggart said all was quiet over the Christmas break. 'Ricky is back in America right now. The Christmas holidays have delayed things slightly but I don't see any reason to worry. We will talk again early in January and hope we can finalise things from there'.

If the finances are not there in the first place, how can they spend 'big'?

If you 'over spend' you run the risk of not running at all the following year, surely?

It's not like 'the old days' anymore. Simply put - The promoters haven't got the money they used to have, the fans haven't got the money they used to have, the sponsors haven't got the money they used to have.

Every promoter has to build their team within a budget. Some will have a bigger budget than others, that has never changed.

Agree we have to keep to a budget. But we were told when Stead was signed that it was the biggest deal in the clubs history. So why sign one rider on the biggest deal and then try to tempt another one back on less money than last year when he's already said he lost money riding for us.

Should of spread the money out between the team and not just on one rider.

I am not a tigers fan. But I do like Ricky Wells, a good racer and a character to boot. I don't know exactly what the ins and outs of the new deal wells had been offered, but the promotion obviously have a budget and are sticking too it. Ricky has to make racing pay, so there must be some middle ground. Some would argue if Ricky scored more upped his average his earnings would increase. I guess riders would argue that if they don't score they don't earn. If they don't earn what they deem to be a proper wage they cannot reinvest in keeping their equipment competitive and therefore can't compete to the level they aspire, u totally understand where both parties are coming from.

I also understand the fans frustrations. Since the advent of the reformatted PL in 1997 Sheffield were always challengers. Prior to that the club holds a massive history. I live visiting Sheffield and fans are great to chat to. Before I remember as a monarchs fan going to Shef...

Agree we have to keep to a budget. But we were told when Stead was signed that it was the biggest deal in the clubs history. So why sign one rider on the biggest deal and then try to tempt another one back on less money than last year when he's already said he lost money riding for us.

Should of spread the money out between the team and not just on one rider.

Depends on what is meant by 'biggest deal'. It may not mean financially (not saying it is, or it isn't, as I don't know).

Fans were crying out for an out-and-out number one. They have (potentally) got that, but at a cost to the rest of the team by the looks of it (as you point out). I don't think you can have it both ways in the current financial climate.

On the Ricky Wells point. I believe all riders are meant to have taken a cut on what they earned per point last year. Wells won't be the only one dissapointed.

• Like 1

So if no Wells take your pick from:

Hall & Franc

Hall & Nedermark

Hall & Sanchez

Hall & Schramm

Hall & Hawkins

Hall & Wilson

Hall & Mills

Hall & Allott

Hall & Jakobsen

For me it has to be Hall & Wells

You missed out Hall and Oates!!
  • Like 3

If the finances are not there in the first place, how can they spend 'big'?

If you 'over spend' you run the risk of not running at all the following year, surely?

It's not like 'the old days' anymore. Simply put - The promoters haven't got the money they used to have, the fans haven't got the money they used to have, the sponsors haven't got the money they used to have.

Every promoter has to build their team within a budget. Some will have a bigger budget than others, that has never changed.

As always, you make fair point but.................

The one lesson that Sheffield 2012 taught speedway is that if you go too much the other way its just as disastrous. Make no mistake about it, the heavy financial losses incurred by Sheffield last season were primarily due to a poor team line up and fans turning their back on the speedway in their hundreds.

To me (and I'd be the first to admit its not my money at risk) its a matter of balance and I'd say the Tigers have got it badly wrong.

I must have missed this; but where is it stated that the promotion offered him reduced terms?

Setting aside the ludicrous nature of the first part of the sentence, the answer is "less".

Why would he be worth "the same money or more"? He was frankly a disgrace in the early part of the season, scoring double figures for Wolves & a handful or less for Sheffield.

So, eventually he started scoing the points that were expected of him. So what? He was doing that from Day One at Wolves. In the Elite League.

He established his average the year before at Plymouth, on a track that most of the visitors had never seen before & one much more like those in Califonia.

Presumably he went to Sheffield last year to broaden his experience, make himself a better rider (&, as rumour would have it, get paid on time).

Guess what? It wasn't as easy as he thought.

So after underperforming he thinks he should be on (presumably) more money than last year? Get real.

Get by on your Wolves money in that case.

• Like 2

I take it Wells must be a fan of The Smiths, seems to be of the assumption that England is his and it owes him a living.

If he likes the place, the fans, and the club so much, maybe he should think about their tomorrow as well as his?

He is already having his “loss of earnings” subsidized by….another team place in England.

I have some degree of sympathy with riders when they point out the financial strains on them, I am struggling in this instance.

Edited by wjm
  • Like 1

If he gets a job with another PL team then we can safely say the pay cap has gone out of the window...

like its done with a few riders already, probably.