British Speedway Forum
Friddy75

Sheffield 2013

I bet they could have offered Wells same deal as last year but not as easy soon as they signed Steady, the team could end up a disaster if they are not careful, give him same deal then at least we have some decent back up to steady.

Looking at the rest of the premier league teams announced so far, I do not believe any team, other than Sheffield can fit Wells in (unless they release another rider already signed). Would Wells be better off just riding Elite League only?

That is what he has to consider, and it could be the reason why the Promotion have waited to offer him terms, safe in the knowledge that the only club that can fit him into their team.

A lot could hinge on Wolves who have him lined up to ride as a doubling up rider would they be prepared to use him on a full time basis.

Fear the worst if wells doesnt sign.Hes pretty useful away from home and can only improve.Looks like were going down the cheap and cheerful rubbish route again with exception of steady.Going down the sanchez and hall route and put a quid on admission price would be suicidal for the club after last season.

Looking at the rest of the premier league teams announced so far, I do not believe any team, other than Sheffield can fit Wells in (unless they release another rider already signed). Would Wells be better off just riding Elite League only?

No rider could financially exist on "Elite League only" if he didn't combine with Poland or a Scandanavian club -- Ricky Wells needs to double-up, and it looks like being at Sheffield.

No rider could financially exist on "Elite League only" if he didn't combine with Poland or a Scandanavian club -- Ricky Wells needs to double-up, and it looks like being at Sheffield.

Or could he be prepared to wait further into the season until a rider get injured, or is sacked.

The announcement at STAaRS was that they were talking to Ricky but hadn't spoken to Rich.

They announced Thursdays a few weeks back in the Comic

The season ticket prices won't be announced until they have finalised the 7

Or could he be prepared to wait further into the season until a rider get injured, or is sacked.

*cough* Simon Lambert *cough*

Simon Lambert has already signed for Rye House. You can't blame Ricky for not taking less money you are not going to accept a job that you know you are going to lose money on, that would be madness. Plus Ricky said that they had offered a lot less than last year and Sheffield are not known for paying the best rates.????

Simon Lambert has already signed for Rye House. You can't blame Ricky for not taking less money you are not going to accept a job that you know you are going to lose money on, that would be madness. Plus Ricky said that they had offered a lot less than last year and Sheffield are not known for paying the best rates.????

That is what I don't understand why approach a rider who clearly stated last season that he lost money riding for Sheffield and offer him a deal that less than the previous season.

That is what I don't understand why approach a rider who clearly stated last season that he lost money riding for Sheffield and offer him a deal that less than the previous season.

If that is the case Spinny....if he lost money last year....maybe he should have scored a few more points,i saw him a couple of time at Sheff last year and he was shocking....any rider who had an at best,average season complains about loosing money often its down to him not scoreing points

• Like 2

If that is the case Spinny....if he lost money last year....maybe he should have scored a few more points,i saw him a couple of time at Sheff last year and he was shocking....any rider who had an at best,average season complains about loosing money often its down to him not scoreing points

Fair comment, but I don't understand why they offer the rider less money when he has stated in the press that he lost money at Sheffield last season, it does not make sense.

I am not knocking the Promotion having a budget, it is the sensible way to go, you can only spend what you have.

I don't know how many times you saw Ricky, but the second half of the season he got a lot better, and I think that we could see him make some rapid improvements next season.

End of the day this is very worrying, we need something of a competitive team to try and attract the missing fans back, me I would go regardless who we have in the team, but there loads that don't think like that. .

• Like 1

I am one of the missing fans.

Used to go every week up to a few years ago and pretty often until last year

It was obvious before the season started last year that the team was far too weak to be competitive, and i didnt attend a single meeting .

The signing of Stead is great news, and adding 2 decent heat leaders will see me return.

Sorry to say with the Wells comment and no sign of anyone as good or better its looking like another uncompetitive season.

Hope i am wrong and the 6th and 7th riders are good ones. I could easily be tempted back

Spot on Montie! Maybe they signed Wells last season on a pay scale based on his potential to be a 7 or 8 point rider. He proved he was only a 6 point rider. OK he improved a bit towards the end of the season but he wasn't great was he? Also I worry that if the track is prepared to suit Stead and Hall, Wells will be less effective. He certainly didn't like going out in the dirt, and did you notice that his good rides usually came towards the end of meetings when the track became more slick? Usually his first rides seemed to be his worst ones. I'm not worried. There seem to be more 6 point riders unattached than ever before and only a couple of teams who can fit them in.

Edited by Stan Duppcomic

Rob Mear can.

If a rider averaging approx 6.5 in the premier league can not make it pay, how do lesser riders survive, financially???