British Speedway Forum

I have little doubt that Batchelor will be in the 1-7. Whether Swindon will be happy about the resolution of the related issues is another matter. The rules pretty much allow any rider to ride where he likes. But then the rules allow the BSPA to impose sanctions/compensation as they choose.

We are not privvy to what has gone on this winter, but there is enough published information from all parties to give us a good idea. In a nutshell, the BSPA have dictated that Swindon must purchase Batchelor, Swindon disagree and have made use of a potential loophole. The ball is now in the BSPA's court. They can either let this lie or take action against Swindon. Swindon are totally dependant on whether the BSPA will back down. Procedures will be in place for Swindon to protest any decision. However, simply ignoring a decision of the ruling body and looking for a loophole is a different matter. The BSPA can hit them hard.

Swindon badly weakened their position by announcing publicly how they intended to get around the ruling and by dragging the agreed deal with Glasgow into this.

In many other sports Swindon could face some major sanctions. The current weakness of speedway as a sport may actually be Swindon's biggest saviour here as I'm not sure the BSPA are in a position to fully use the powers available to them.

• Like 1

Batch is not the one to be worried!! Its the promotion that will be potentially 'punished'!!

With a bit of luck all the shannigans that have gone on in the past few seasons will result in an independent body to run the sport, if not i despair of the future speedway has in this country!

Stick with watching grass track I think! at least you get value for money!

Hopefully everything works out for all concerned in the end!

http://www.swindonad...by_loan_fiasco/

Someone should have a word with the journalist - according to some (who claim they know more than others) the March 1st rule doesn't exist. :rofl:

Someone should have a word with the journalist - according to some (who claim they know more than others) the March 1st rule doesn't exist. :rofl:

have you a link then where the rule is published ??? even patchettt has stated it's not in the rulebook

have you a link then where the rule is published ??? even patchettt has stated it's not in the rulebook

No idea.

But so many keep mentioning it.

But lets face when has a rule been written in stone and stuck to by the BSPA!

But so many keep mentioning it.

But lets face when has a rule been written in stone and stuck to by the BSPA!

just because people mention it it doesn't make it a rule

i'll agree with your 2nd point,but I CAN'T see the BSPA M.C letting swindon getting away with taking batch on loan without reprecussions e.g fines or something, mind you I COULD be a 100% wrong

I have little doubt that Batchelor will be in the 1-7. Whether Swindon will be happy about the resolution of the related issues is another matter. The rules pretty much allow any rider to ride where he likes. But then the rules allow the BSPA to impose sanctions/compensation as they choose.

We are not privvy to what has gone on this winter, but there is enough published information from all parties to give us a good idea. In a nutshell, the BSPA have dictated that Swindon must purchase Batchelor, Swindon disagree and have made use of a potential loophole. The ball is now in the BSPA's court. They can either let this lie or take action against Swindon. Swindon are totally dependant on whether the BSPA will back down. Procedures will be in place for Swindon to protest any decision. However, simply ignoring a decision of the ruling body and looking for a loophole is a different matter. The BSPA can hit them hard.

Swindon badly weakened their position by announcing publicly how they intended to get around the ruling and by dragging the agreed deal with Glasgow into this.

In many other sports Swindon could face some major sanctions. The current weakness of speedway as a sport may actually be Swindon's biggest saviour here as I'm not sure the BSPA are in a position to fully use the powers available to them.

Utter tosh - again!! :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I think the 1 March rule is allegedly a Gentleman's verbal agreement made between all the promoters??

It's about as written down as the alleged ruling that Swindon must buy Batchelor seems to be (I am not doubting the ruling exists, but the detail has only been hinted at).

I think that there are a lot of people on here who assume what they've heard from their respective promotions and press is correct and think it will fall in their favour!

Me I don't wear Rose tinted spectacles and we all know what happens if you ass u me!!!

I think I'll just wait and see, but I hope for the sake of the sport it is resolved quickly and a proper public statement issued so there is no doubt what was agreed at Committee!

Edited by 65Sarge
  • Like 1

I think the 1 March rule is allegedly a Gentleman's verbal agreement made between all the promoters??

It's about as written down as the alleged ruling that Swindon must buy Batchelor seems to be (I am not doubting the ruling exists, but the detail has only been hinted at).

I tend to agree with your view about the March 1st agreement. I'd suggest it's for when a team is still short of a rider after one they wanted pulls out, gets injured in Oz or something like that. They can then have a look at unused assets and get one on loan. I certainly don't think it's there to allow a club circumvent an MC ruling by ignoring the ruling for a few months until March 1st comes along. I'd also put forward that Batchelor is hardly an 'unsigned' rider - he was probably one of the first 'signed' for this year!

Also, if this rule is written down anywhere I'm surprised Matt Ford didn't utilise it last year when signing AM. All he had to do was get his go-betweens to tell AM to inform Swindon he had no wish to ride over here in 2012 and change his mind after March 1st. As a 'free agent' he could then sign for anyone.

As for Swindon having to buy Batchelor I suppose the MC could be using the 'for the good of speedway' bit in the rules.

Edited by Vincent Blackshadow

I think that there are a lot of people on here who assume what they've heard from their respective promotions and press is correct and think it will fall in their favour!

Me I don't wear Rose tinted spectacles and we all know what happens if you ass u me!!!

I think I'll just wait and see, but I hope for the sake of the sport it is resolved quickly and a proper public statement issued so there is no doubt what was agreed at Committee!

Trouble is their is no Gentlemen in the BSPA and the only verbal they have is diarrhoea, they couldn't agree on anything if the sport depended on it, more,s the pity.

I tend to agree with your view about the March 1st agreement. I'd suggest it's for when a team is still short of a rider after one they wanted pulls out, gets injured in Oz or something like that. They can then have a look at unused assets and get one on loan. I certainly don't think it's there to allow a club circumvent an MC ruling by ignoring the ruling for a few months until March 1st comes along. I'd also put forward that Batchelor is hardly an 'unsigned' rider - he was probably one of the first 'signed' for this year!

Also, if this rule is written down anywhere I'm surprised Matt Ford didn't utilise it last year when signing AM. All he had to do was get his go-betweens to tell AM to inform Swindon he had no wish to ride over here in 2012 and change his mind after March 1st. As a 'free agent' he could then sign for anyone.

As for Swindon having to buy Batchelor I suppose the MC could be using the 'for the good of speedway' bit in the rules.

You can put forward whatever drivel you want but the fact is that Batch signed on 1st March !

• Like 2

You can put forward whatever drivel you want but the fact is that Batch signed on 1st March !

Yeah, right. We all believe that.

The paperwork might have been forwarded to Rugby on March 1st.

Actually Steve0 if you read the 'announcement' it was stated that 'terms have been agreed with Batch'!! We all knew that from a couple of months ago. (please see deleted tweet - oh wait we can't, its been deleted!).

If the BSPA stick to their MC decision and Swindon attempt to go against it, then there is bound to be a punishment of some sort?! It probably won't be a fine, cos Swindon will argue that they can't afford to pay it, so maybe a points deduction or something.............?? :wink:

• Like 1