British Speedway Forum

Firstly, I only hope that when Richie returns, he's able to rediscover and improve upon his pre-injury form. The fact that he's signed for us is very good news, albeit I've not seen this confirmed on our website yet? Riders of Ritchie Worral's ability are not easily found at reserve at many (if any?) EL teams.

Sedgie - hope that I'm wrong but I think giving him a 2013 contract is a risk. When he left Redcar, his form worryingly dropped and, at times, he was looking totally out of his depth. His bikes just didn't appear to have much grunt. I know he wasn't pulling up any trees at Redcar but his form for us seemed better when he was racing more regularly. I wouldn't think twice retaining him as a D/U rider but having Sedgie in the main body of the team? Hope I'm wrong but I think offering him a 2013 contract was premature.

Rob Mear - a popular lad and a Hammer through and through. He also suffered some really bad knocks towards the end of the season and rode on regardless. However, I think he's another rider that is suffering through not doubling up (which he's unlikely to do as I've heard he has a full-time job). I know I'm not going to be popular with other Hammers faithful but personally, I wouldn't offer Rob a contract in 2013. When the chips have been down, he's gone missing a little too often. I think a move would actually benefit both parties.

Kim Nilsson - if we can secure Kim for 2013, I think he could be a revelation. Undoubtedly has the talent to become a heat leader, and another year under PK's wing should see him achieve the level of consistency that he's lacked to date. An ultra-quick rider that just needs the balls to go outside riders at times. He'd have had a contract by now if I was Cookie/Duggo.

Ben Barker - quality rider that shows true Brit spirit. Apparently loves our track and, if he becomes available, I'd be over the moon to see him in our squad.

Other names I've seen mentioned -

Lewis Bridger. If only he was half as good as he thinks he is, he'd be worth a contract. Fact is, he isn't.

Eddie Kennett. Haha errrrrrm, thanks but NO THANKS!

Scott Nicholls. Past his best and only seems to ride Lakeside well when wearing an opposition race-jacket.

Undoubtedly, the rider many of us would love to have back is AJ. Possible? Who knows.

Edited by The Voice Of Reason

I very much doubt that we will NOT see Rob Mear in a Hammers race jacket next year - he is JC's favourite!

• Like 1

Sedgie - hope that I'm wrong but I think giving him a 2013 contract is a risk. When he left Redcar, his form worryingly dropped and, at times, he was looking totally out of his depth. His bikes just didn't appear to have much grunt. I know he wasn't pulling up any trees at Redcar but his form for us seemed better when he was racing more regularly. I wouldn't think twice retaining him as a D/U rider but having Sedgie in the main body of the team? Hope I'm wrong but I think offering him a 2013 contract was premature.

Rob Mear - a popular lad and a Hammer through and through. He also suffered some really bad knocks towards the end of the season and rode on regardless. However, I think he's another rider that is suffering through not doubling up (which he's unlikely to do as I've heard he has a full-time job). I know I'm not going to be popular with other Hammers faithful but personally, I wouldn't offer Rob a contract in 2013. When the chips have been down, he's gone missing a little too often. I think a move would actually benefit both parties.

Kim Nilsson - if we can secure Kim for 2013, I think he could be a revelation. Undoubtedly has the talent to become a heat leader, and another year under PK's wing should see him achieve the level of consistency that he's lacked to date. An ultra-quick rider that just needs the balls to go outside riders at times. He'd have had a contract by now if I was Cookie/Duggo.

Ben Barker - quality rider that shows true Brit spirit. Apparently loves our track and, if he becomes available, I'd be over the moon to see him in our squad.

Other names I've seen mentioned -

Lewis Bridger. If only he was half as good as he thinks he is, he'd be worth a contract. Fact is, he isn't.

Eddie Kennett. Haha errrrrrm, thanks but NO THANKS!

Scott Nicholls. Past his best and only seems to ride Lakeside well when wearing an opposition race-jacket.

Undoubtedly, the rider many of us would love to have back is AJ. Possible? Who knows.

I think it goes without saying that Sedgie will only be back subject to getting a D/U position with a PL club not least because its been proved enough times that you can't earn a living on a 3-4 point average in the EL alone. He is a bit erratic but he has beaten the likes of Hancock, Lindgren and Smolinski at times and at 20 years old you don't normally expect consistency. The bottom line is that when you look at the trouble some clubs have had with low averaging reserves Sedgie is as good as the next man on his sort of average and personally I would rather stick with him at than get some unknown in, especially as Dave Watt definitely brings the best out of him. A winter riding in Oz with Davey can only help.

I know what you mean about Rob. Sooner or later he will have to do some extra meetings, possibly continental open meetings if he is to improve. but riding with his injuries this year have kept his average down a bit and back at full fitness he should be capable of a slight improvement next year. Although 2012 was not so good due to injury there were occasions in 2011 when he saved the match when the top end were under-performing.

I agree about Kim. I don't think he fully understands his engines yet but in between the off nights he has produced some terrific rides. Needs to find consistency and learn away tracks, but having said that, he has put more on his starting average than any other Hammer and is, I believe, the second highest BP scorer in the EL.

I think you do Lewis a dis-service. I have never found him to be full of himself but his life is a bit disorganised and there are issues that he needs to get sorted.

Funny enough I think Ed Kennett would be a really good Hammer but the problem is the baggage he brings with him in the form of Dave Kennett who always seems to be at the bottom of all the trouble. If Dave Kennett stayed at home I think you would see a much different (and more consistent) Eddie.

Fair points Custer Mouse, particularly about Justin. My gut feel, and obviously I don't know this for a fact, but his bikes seem to be very slow at times. Admittedly I don't know anything about speedway engines but what I would assume is that if he is only on a single wage now that he only rides for one team, and given his points tally over the last couple of months, maybe he just hasn't got the money to invest back into his kit?

Yep, Rob was exceptional at times during 2011 and we all know the amount of knocks he took this season. I just don't see him improving for 2013. Obviously, I hope that I'm wrong and you can all stuff my words down my throat this time next year! ;)

I just think that we are taking a risk with Justin, a risk with Ritchie in that we hope he comes back fully fit, and potentially taking an even further risk with Mearo which could make us extremely vulnerable, especially away from home, where we severely lack fire-power at times.

Bridger, I think we'll just have to agree to disagree. Some of the comments I've read on his Twitter over the past couple of years just gives me the impression that he's got a short fuse and is quite immature for his age. As for the Dave Kennett point you mentioned. Sorry but I don't really know enough to comment. My point about Eddie is that he's just far too inconsistent, coupled with the cheating issues.

Fair points Custer Mouse, particularly about Justin. My gut feel, and obviously I don't know this for a fact, but his bikes seem to be very slow at times. Admittedly I don't know anything about speedway engines but what I would assume is that if he is only on a single wage now that he only rides for one team, and given his points tally over the last couple of months, maybe he just hasn't got the money to invest back into his kit?

Justin has been using one of Dave Watts engines so what ever was wrong it wasn't the engine !

Just to add, and I have to ask here, as Lakeside don't appear to have a Forum, but isn't it about time that our website was updated to end the speculation on whether Ritchie, Justin, PK and Watty have signed for us and will definitely be HAMMERS next season? The last update on the site was a fortnight ago. And what happened to the Hammerzine - there doesn't seem to have been one since MAY. That's an absolute joke.

Either the club can't be bothered updating the Hammers faithful or our marketing bloke called Ian Smally on our website, is sitting on his a*se and doing bugger all. He is listed on our website as our marketing manager but what does he do exactly?

I have very few negative things to say about our club but our communications and marketing are absolute pants.

Come on Cookie or Duggo, please get someone in who is up for doing the job properly and can actually be bothered updating us with stuff!

• Like 1

There is a hammers forum it's another proboards one but strangely enough you can't get it on the proboards app (grr) and on the subject of not having a fanzine since May. I don't know why there hasn't been one but think back to what happened in May and you may find a reason.

Of course that's just a guess but if it really is the reason then I personally don't blame the club tbh.

• Like 1

And what is happening to the training track

Just to add, and I have to ask here, as Lakeside don't appear to have a Forum, but isn't it about time that our website was updated to end the speculation on whether Ritchie, Justin, PK and Watty have signed for us and will definitely be HAMMERS next season? The last update on the site was a fortnight ago. And what happened to the Hammerzine - there doesn't seem to have been one since MAY. That's an absolute joke.

Either the club can't be bothered updating the Hammers faithful or our marketing bloke called Ian Smally on our website, is sitting on his a*se and doing bugger all. He is listed on our website as our marketing manager but what does he do exactly?

I have very few negative things to say about our club but our communications and marketing are absolute pants.

Come on Cookie or Duggo, please get someone in who is up for doing the job properly and can actually be bothered updating us with stuff!

They certainly do have a fans forum.

http://thelakesidehammers.proboards.com/

I would probably leave Mear out of the side I feel he went missing a lot and was not consistent enough.

• Like 1

I would probably leave Mear out of the side I feel he went missing a lot and was not consistent enough.

Considering he is only a part time speedway rider i think he does just fine tbh