British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
JT

Harris Threatens To Quit Team Gb

Because he's supposed to be offering his service to his country, NOT BSI. If every ex-GP rider had Harris' attitude, hardly anyone would bother with the World Cup at all. Instead most riders see representing their country as an honour, not a favour to the organisers for receiving a totally unjustified wildcard every year.

JT.

If Bomber didn't rider for GB, he wouldn't be the first. I do remember the late Lee Richardson not wishing to ride for his country due to 'issues' with the BSPA. That said, I do feel Lee's decision was more viable than Chris's - who just wants yet another hand-out.

The trouble is (Will not ride in the World Cup) sounds like a knee jerk reaction and a sulky strop!

Theres far more riders in the W Cup than the GP so if they all said that we would only end up with 16 riders in the W Cup! lol

Relish every opportunity to race the best riders in the world! God knows you need the practice to realy try and improve!

It's disappointing that so many people on the forum do not care about him or about having a Brit in the GP's. Maybe if we got behind our riders a bit more they might do better.

I care about having a Brit in the GP series but am not blinkered that I can't see we don't deserve to be there on any form of merit and as long as we are given endless charity picks we will not see a rider representing us that feels he has to strive to be there.

Harris, if this is true, is a sad pathetic figure deluded by his own ability who feels let down by everybody but himself.

Yes he is a good rider but so are plenty of people who have not had the chances he has due to not being British.

When we have a rider who sees a need to actually make the effort to qualify than we may find ourselves deserving of a place.

But qualifying using the power of 'whining' to seal a place is not the way forward.

Harris does NOT deserve a place but hopefully soon we will have a rider who does.

Tai is a decent prospect but he has his Harris style moments and needs to up his game to compete with the big boys.

Quitting Team GB is a self destructive act as Harris needs them more than they need him as losing him might actually spur on a youngster and do us some good.

We are not likely to win the SWC in the next decade so a Harris less England would hardly harm our prospects as they are zero anyway.

Edited by pandorum
  • Like 1

If he wants to turn his back on the world cup because the powers that be don't think he's good enough for the GP's then screw him. We can give his WC place to a youngster and bring on some more talent. We'll do awfully for a couple of years granted but in the long run we'll be better off

I UNDERSTAND your sentiments Dave but where are these youngsters going to come from? They wont just appear like magic.

That's what the bloke just said!

What real benefit do team GB get from having Harris?

Does he pass on his vast mechanical knowledge to the younger members of the team.

Does he inspire them with his vast repetoire of whinng and moaning.

I would rather see a team of young triers score ten points in the SWC and learn something than watch Harris and co's mediocre efforts.

We are no hopers anyway so what have we to lose?

Chris is doing us a favour.

NO he didn't. Has nothing to do with Harris. I am asking where are we going to find some authentic young riders to match those being unearthed in Denmark and Poland, let alone Australia.

NO he didn't. Has nothing to do with Harris. I am asking where are we going to find some authentic young riders to match those being unearthed in Denmark and Poland, let alone Australia.

putting them in our league teams would be a start-which the teams have to do in Poland and Sweden.Certainly all Premier league teams should have British U21 riders at reserve.

I UNDERSTAND your sentiments Dave but where are these youngsters going to come from? They wont just appear like magic.

I agree, they won't, but by chucking our youngsters in at the deep end it in theory should spur them on. I remember a few years ago denmark had a test match against team GB at wolverhampton and they tracked a VERY young side, of which most of them are now heat leaders in the world's top leagues.

This is a different matter however, we know Harris has grit and determination, but if he's prepared to spit his dummy out because he can't get yet another wild card pick then let him! Give the youngsters a chance, even if we do get an absolute pasting for the next 2 or 3 years.

BUT all those young Danes had come through the ranks of junior speedway and so on. Until we have a proper infrastructure in place to help these kids we will never have a rich vein of talent to build for the future.

BUT all those young Danes had come through the ranks of junior speedway and so on. Until we have a proper infrastructure in place to help these kids we will never have a rich vein of talent to build for the future.

I agree - we definitely don't have the same structure Denmark/Sweden/Poland do, but you have to admit with the efforts of Phil Morris and co have put in this year, we are in a better position than previous years. What I'm trying to say is that GB won't need Harris in a few years time.

You seem rather pessimistic today Mr. Rising? that's normally my forte!

Agree with a lot of the comments on here about Bombers gating. He should get an ex rider who was a good gater Kelvin Tatum, Chris Louis etc even Simmo to give him a tuition about making good starts and he would then have half a chance. Maybe he has done this already with Rosco or Marc Courtney.

If he wants to turn his back on the world cup because the powers that be don't think he's good enough for the GP's then screw him. We can give his WC place to a youngster and bring on some more talent. We'll do awfully for a couple of years granted but in the long run we'll be better off

Agreed and the rider to replace him IMO who's exciting to watch - Adam Roynon and look forward to see if Richie Worrall can recover and progress next year. He's next in line.

I think we are seeing progression in British riders but they require jobs abroad and we seem unable to get that move. That's where the money is to support better sponsorship & buying top quality equipment