British Speedway Forum
dantodan

Leicester V Newcastle Play Off Saturday 6th October 2012

I can appreciate all you Newcastle fans being upset about the results this weekend at Somerset and Leicester but I think your well out of order criticising Robbo .After the massive injuries he had 2 or 3 years ago to come back and ride a bike let alone be competitive is IMHO nothing short of brilliant . HE has up to now scored 423 pts inc bonus with 24 double figure scores both home and away .Ok I am a personal friend and Iv,e seen first hand those injuries while he was in Cov hospital for over 9 months .You fans have had a crap season with injuries and I have no doubt without the injuries to Richie and Steve you would have walked the title but as everyone knows in Speedway injuries affect results and to blame one or two riders in particular is I think unfair sorry .

cheers Mick.

I agree 100% with you FTM, grossly unfair on Robson, who as I've said before is by far the leadiing (total points) scorer for the injury hit Diamonds this season. It simply looks like "a bridge to far" for the team ravaged by injuries. They led the league for so long and did well under the circumstances, so we should be grateful for that. I know how frustrated the fans are for the team to fall at the last hurdle, but by and large they have done well given those injuries.

"The Mackem"

Nobody is having a personal dig at either Robbo or Lemo. Both are great lads who have been superb for the Diamonds in the past but I'm sorry the fact is that both have had by their high standards poor seasons and in all honesty have been dreadful at times away from home. I don't think either has been that dominant at home either to be frank. We all know Robbo is poor from the start but in past seasons he'd have been all over the rider in front. This season he's been beaten easily a number of times. Away from home we've conceded 5-1's in heat 13 and 15 more often that not and it's become fairly predictable. Anyone watching last night could probably have guessed the outcomes of those two heats before they happened.

I'm sure there are reasons, Lemo has had a few bad injuries which would have taken it's toll and he's probably ridden a number of times when not fully fit or even close to it. But the harsh fact is both are in their late thirties and looking ahead to next season would anyone seriously consider having both in the team? Because of the rolling averages they both still carry reasonably high averages and it would be a huge gamble expecting them to hold or improve on those averages. Winning teams are built on having riders who improve their averages. Henry, Ned, Ludo and both Worralls have all upped their averages, most of them by a fair bit. Sorry but the injuries aside the reason we have fallen away is because we haven't been strong enough at the top end. We've had the best second strings in the league and at least one high scoring reserve all season and could still have won it despite the injuries had we won more of those big heats. That's the reason we failed to beat Somerset.

I agree with Pablo 133. If there's any chance of getting Rene back we should go for it as he's only going to improve as he gets fitter and more confident.

Edited by NJC71
  • Like 1

What about Kenni Larsen. When i was up there in June for our league meeting, i heard that Kenni Larsen had been sold too Coventry, but, upon attending Brandon a few times i hear he is only on loan too them. Could someone shed any light on this please?

Kauko and Lasse fantastic last night,by far the best I've seen Lasse ride this season totally untouchable.....those 2 were the difference between the sides.

Reading Hemsleys programme notes last night it looks odds on that they will be applying to join the elite? league next year.....too soon in my opinion,let's see what difference the track changes make to the racing first before moving up.

I really enjoyed last nights meeting. It was close; there was some good racing; there was some unfortunate incidents and both teams had some bad luck. I did hear about some people complaining about how slick the track was early in the meeting but Glyn did explain why before the meeting started.

Edited by Fanmale

Will Richie and Steve come back to Newcastle? They are not our assets remember. Team building for next year could see Robbo and Lemmo gone but also a big question mark over the twins

Will Richie and Steve come back to Newcastle? They are not our assets remember. Team building for next year could see Robbo and Lemmo gone but also a big question mark over the twins

Richie's averaged near 9 this year, and should be offered a heatleader's points money to stay. Certainly should be offered higher points money than his rolling average would suggest.

Also, i think it should be noted that it was nice to see the Lions promotion taking on board some of the complaints re delays and keeping the fans up to date on why delays were happening, At times it seemed they were trying to pass on too much info!

and very big crowd again, certainly worthy of the Elite league should we go there ;)

Mick.

We wouldn't be the only team offering him big money I suspect. The world is his lobster

What about Kenni Larsen. When i was up there in June for our league meeting, i heard that Kenni Larsen had been sold too Coventry, but, upon attending Brandon a few times i hear he is only on loan too them. Could someone shed any light on this please?

The Coventry team that started the year was built from the assets that Mick Horton Leased , if Kenni was on loan he would not have been in that team

The Coventry team that started the year was built from the assets that Mick Horton Leased , if Kenni was on loan he would not have been in that team

Kenni Larsen is not a Coventry asset

Nobody is having a personal dig at either Robbo or Lemo. Both are great lads who have been superb for the Diamonds in the past but I'm sorry the fact is that both have had by their high standards poor seasons and in all honesty have been dreadful at times away from home. I don't think either has been that dominant at home either to be frank. We all know Robbo is poor from the start but in past seasons he'd have been all over the rider in front. This season he's been beaten easily a number of times. Away from home we've conceded 5-1's in heat 13 and 15 more often that not and it's become fairly predictable. Anyone watching last night could probably have guessed the outcomes of those two heats before they happened.

I'm sure there are reasons, Lemo has had a few bad injuries which would have taken it's toll and he's probably ridden a number of times when not fully fit or even close to it. But the harsh fact is both are in their late thirties and looking ahead to next season would anyone seriously consider having both in the team? Because of the rolling averages they both still carry reasonably high averages and it would be a huge gamble expecting them to hold or improve on those averages. Winning teams are built on having riders who improve their averages. Henry, Ned, Ludo and both Worralls have all upped their averages, most of them by a fair bit. Sorry but the injuries aside the reason we have fallen away is because we haven't been strong enough at the top end. We've had the best second strings in the league and at least one high scoring reserve all season and could still have won it despite the injuries had we won more of those big heats. That's the reason we failed to beat Somerset.

I agree with Pablo 133. If there's any chance of getting Rene back we should go for it as he's only going to improve as he gets fitter and more confident.

Leave Rene where he is at thanks ;) , he wasn't good enough to fit in your plans last season but now he is improving and getting back to where he should be you want him back , no you can't bugger off :D He loves the big Derwent Park circuit to show off his passing abilities which are quite frankly, awesome

I Thought Rene wanted away from Sundays to leave him free for his continental commitments and that is why he went to Workington. I will always be a fan of Rene wherever he rides, his blasts from the back were developed at Brough Park not Derwent Park. If the Comets have to close I am sure our promoters would love to try and fit him in again.

Edited by dantodan

The previous promotion at Coventry failed to pay for him, despite telling the Diamonds promotion that they had just bought their rider.

The previous promotion at Coventry failed to pay for him, despite telling the Diamonds promotion that they had just bought their rider.

Because when they agreed to buy him he was a 4.8 rider, then at the AGM he become a 5.8 rider and the promotion were not staying so it made no sense to buy riders.

So Newcastle lost out because of the dodgy dealings of others.