British Speedway Forum
f-s-p

Grand Prix Speedway In Finland 2014-2016

I understand the city of Tampere why they would take Speedway GP with open arms. Saw some news from Tampere U23 European Championship Field and Track. The stadium was almost empty. Some people on the main stands and most of them were coaches and other athletes.

Thats something to learn from, it' live on prime tv ALL DAY! = ) And athletics are/have been done at Tampere since day one. SGP2014 will be first, I hope.

This is my first post in this forum. I'm glad it is this one!

YLE (the Finnish equivalent for BBC) reports today on their website that the GP in Tampere is happening in spring 2014. The agreement was apparently signed on Wednesday. The exact date of the race, details of the TV-deal and ticket prices will be announced later in August.

The track material will be put in place on the running lanes (it's an athletics stadium) during the autumn, and it will settle under tarps over the winter.

Here's the link to the story (unfortunately, only in Finnish): http://yle.fi/uutiset/speedwayn_mm-osakilpailu_ensimmaista_kertaa_suomeen/6769528

I've just lately rekindled my interest in the Greatest Motorsport Ever, and have been thinking about visiting a GP in another country. Looks like I don't have to leave my home town to see top flight racing after all! :)

• Like 1

The track material will be put in place on the running lanes (it's an athletics stadium) during the autumn, and it will settle under tarps over the winter.
State of the art atmospheric storage then? Impressive :D

State of the art atmospheric storage then? Impressive :D

Let's hope the tarpaulins don't leak this time, although no doubt the state-of-the-art monitoring will see to that... LOL

Edited by Humphrey Appleby
  • Like 1

Let's hope the tarpaulins don't leak this time, although no doubt the state-of-the-art monitoring will see to that... LOL

Presumably the banking on the track will be pyramid shaped.

Here's the link to the story (unfortunately, only in Finnish): http://yle.fi/uutise...suomeen/6769528

Thanks to MagicOctopus for such welcome news and a very speedy relaying of it. Courtesy of Google Translate here is the story in English (sort of lol) with a few more details.

Tampere 08/09/2013 at 10:00 | updated on 08/09/2013 at 11:21

Speedway World Cup race for the first time in Finland

Tampere illustrious history Speedway World Cup among greatly influenced by the fact that the Ratinan the stadium will be held next spring speedway World Rally Championship.

Ratina stadium will be held next year in May speedway World Championship. Contracts Tampere GP's organization was signed on Wednesday.

This is the first time that a World Series run in Finland. Last World Series qualifier is driven in Pori, Finland in 2001. Tampere South Park has been run qualifying races in 1974, 1977 and 1989.

Tampere GP for a designated set of Tampere SSP co-operative, which consists of four people: race father of the idea Jarno Kosonen, speedway couple in the familiar father and the son of George and Kaj Laukkanen and Kai Pohjasmäki.

Ratina stadium running tracks built on top of the fall speedway track, which makes the winter time to settle down under tarpaulins. Build a land mass of course does not preclude mm. Ilves and Tappara between the outdoor hockey game gaming Ratina.

Speedway is a fast motorcycle sport, which runs on sand covered soikioradoilla. The track is surrounded by security fencing. The wheels do not have brakes, so the curves are run sivuluissa to slow down the pace.

In Finland, the species is quite a bit of enthusiasts, but for example in Poland Championships will be thousands of spectators.

The current race consisting of a series of World Cup has been run since 1995. This season, the series was run 12 rounds. Next year's races in the exact amount has not yet been told.

World Cup race for the title each year 15 drivers. In addition, each race organization may designate one of the local wild card driver, which means that the Tampere competition to drive the Finnish driver.

The competition televised in Finland, more than 160 countries. Descriptive race day, the TV contract and ticket prices is available later in August.

Ooops it's also on the SGP site too http://speedwaygp.com/news/article/2766/finland-set-for-grand-prix

Edited by manchesterpaul

what is the speedwaystar travel club like? is it worth travelling with them? how do you get in touch? will they go to finland

No I'm not from Tampere, I live in Kokkola so will certainly be making the trip down all being well

How do fans get there by plane or train and is there anything worth doing in the town

How do fans get there by plane or train and

Ryanair flies directly to Tampere from Stansted airport (also from Frankfurt/Hahn, Kaunas, Bremen, Alicante etc.). If coming from Sweden or Estonia one option is to drive and take the ferry (Tampere is a 2 hour drive from the coast).

is there anything worth doing in the town

This one's tough to answer without knowing what you're interested in. Tampere is one of the bigger cities in Finland (although small on an international scale), and has all the stuff that comes with that (3D cinemas, great pubs, international restaurants, nightclubs, shops etc.). Historical sightseeing is probably not what to visit Tampere (or Finland!) for, although there is a nice walk-in museum block that displays the way of life from the 1800s.

For local flavor, these are my current top 3 for visitors of Tampere:

1) The Plevna Brewery Pub and Restaurant: they brew their own beer and have a good variety of beers and some ales, with a matching kitchen that serves German style food.

2) Pyynikki Observation Tower Café: A tower on top of a ridge next to the city centre with great view of the surrounding lake. The Café is famous for its delicious doughnuts.

3) Tammela market: Nothing out of the ordinary here, but for the full Tampere Experience, you must try the local blood sausage here if you missed it at Plevna.

Tampere also has a lively music scene, so when we know the date of the GP one might check out if there are any interesting bands in town.

How do fans get there by plane or train and is there anything worth doing in the town

I would imagine there is with so many people around "Tampere is a city in southern Finland. It is the most populous inland city in any of the Nordic countries.

The city has a population of 217,767, growing to 313 058 people in the urban area and over 340,000 in the metropolitan area.Tampere is the second-largest urban area and third most-populous municipality in Finland,"

Wiki has some good basic info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tampere

There are direct flights from Helsinki, Rovaniemi, Kittilä, Kuusamo (Finland), Stockholm (Sweden), Copenhagen (Denmark), Riga (Latvia),

Frankfurt, Bremen (Germany), London (UK), Milan (Italy), Malaga, Alicante and Palma de Mallorca (Spain) as well as with Budapest (Hungary).

http://www.visittamp...-around-tampere

I think from London its Ryanair, if you don't want to go with them you can fly to either Stockholm or Helsinki and change to a flight to Tammerfors.

Personally I would probably go by car via the overnight ferry from Stockholm to Åbo and then drive from Åbo to Tammerfors.

Edited by Ghostwalker

If in the UK and you don't want to fly from Stansted then you can fly to Helsinki and it's about an hour train journey to Tampere from there.

The stadium is quite central to the town and there's a fair few hotels, bars, clubs and restaurants that are all within walking distance so finding something to do before/after the GP should be easy :)