British Speedway Forum
f-s-p

Grand Prix Speedway In Finland 2014-2016

Is the round planned to increase the series size further or to replace another?

ie Will it be the Finnish GP or the Nordic GP.

Not sure what the PZM has to do with Malilla, but why can't Malilla upgrade their facilities over the winter?

MAYBE they could but what's the hurry given that Gothenburg still has a year to run. GP in Warsaw will involve PZM.

DON'T get ahead of yourselves. This is not a done deal as I understand. But of course there is a vacancy for a Nordic GP now that Vojens have left the rota.

But if you had to choose a wild card now surely the World longtrack champion would have a good shout.

• Like 1

MAYBE they could but what's the hurry given that Gothenburg still has a year to run. GP in Warsaw will involve PZM.

DON'T get ahead of yourselves. This is not a done deal as I understand. But of course there is a vacancy for a Nordic GP now that Vojens have left the rota.

But if you had to choose a wild card now surely the World longtrack champion would have a good shout.

Well he is back to being Swedish now so can we really have a Swedish rider as a wild card in Finland?

MAYBE they could but what's the hurry given that Gothenburg still has a year to run.

Yes, but isn't Gothenburg one of the events that BSI promotes itself? Malilla and Gothenburg have run side-by-side up until now, so it's a bit odd that Malilla should drop out if it's supposedly making money as previously claimed.

GP in Warsaw will involve PZM.

As promoter, or simply running under its auspices? All GPs run under the auspices of a national federation, but the impression given was that Warsaw would be a BSI-promoted GP.

WHY odd? They wouldn't have three GPs in Sweden. Stockholm has become available and has a roof and Gothenburg has a contract for 2013. What's so hard to understand?

Perhaps your impression about Warsaw was wrong...

Well he is back to being Swedish now so can we really have a Swedish rider as a wild card in Finland?

DIDN'T know that. Know that he was born in Sweden but presumed he was still racing on a Finnish licence. You live and learn.

Well if it is the Nordic GP and not a Finnish one........ ;)

WHY odd? They wouldn't have three GPs in Sweden. Stockholm has become available and has a roof and Gothenburg has a contract for 2013. What's so hard to understand?

DIDN'T know that. Know that he was born in Sweden but presumed he was still racing on a Finnish licence. You live and learn.

He was but have decided to Switch back to Swedish license for next season due to the new extended

Swedish rider quota rules for Elitserien next season. see this post.

They wouldn't have three GPs in Sweden.

No odder than having three GPs in Poland.

Well okay.. who'll be promoting the Warsaw GP then?

Do you mean Kylmä or do you mean the then LT World Champion? Kylmä has a Finnish passport too, so he's Finnish (if I'm asked) and most likely will continue to represent SML in international meetings, hopefully.

Todays paper says it's planned for late August and would occupy Ratina for a month, since there's no roof so the track work needs a month.

Ratina is definately the place to have the GP in Finland. Tampere is a nice enough (my) city with plenty to do and see for a long weekend. No way speedway could be held at the Olympic stadium in Helsinki. It's the home of Finnish football and even though Finnish footie is "not so good", they are god's if they are asked and no one should question their position. And on top of that the stadion is a national relic not to be messed with.

EDIT: Forgot to write the first time that Kylmä will be in the GP proper by 2014. :approve:

Edited by f-s-p

HUMPHREY ... you are normally brighter than this. Have already said that there won't be a Warsaw GP in 2013 but very much on the cards for 2014.

Coincidentally, England's soccer team play in Warsaw next Tuesday and officially open the Friends Arena in Stockholm in November.

I would love for the GP to expand anywhere but have some reservations about what sort of spectacle Finland could provide that would enhance the series. I fear a similar debacle to the Hamar, Norway GP's.

Don't get me wrong i avidly look for threads on here concerning speedway internationally and the first thing i seek is the attendance levels and media coverage in the hope that the sport thrives.

If i remember fairly correctly i get the impression that 'tragically' crowd levels in FInland have fallen to consisting of the family and friends of riders involved in a meeting!

Is the sport enjoying a resurgence in FInland that i'm unaware of (pleasssse someone tell me so)?

Here's a link to the article:

http://translate.goo...ehti.fi/Etusivu

??? Can't see any mention of speedway, it's just the home/news page of the site.

I would love for the GP to expand anywhere but have some reservations about what sort of spectacle Finland could provide that would enhance the series. I fear a similar debacle to the Hamar, Norway GP's.

Don't get me wrong i avidly look for threads on here concerning speedway internationally and the first thing i seek is the attendance levels and media coverage in the hope that the sport thrives.

If i remember fairly correctly i get the impression that 'tragically' crowd levels in FInland have fallen to consisting of the family and friends of riders involved in a meeting!

Is the sport enjoying a resurgence in FInland that i'm unaware of (pleasssse someone tell me so)?

??? Can't see any mention of speedway, it's just the home/news page of the site.

try this then: http://tinyurl.com/9yvyd4q

I dont know why they bother with Warsaw never was and never will be a speedway city they tried to have a team there its just not a speedway city waste of time have it in any other polish city with proper speedway track