British Speedway Forum

No disrespect to the riders in this field but it highlights to me how watered down the elite league is now. Holder and Ward true class and throw in Freddie as well but after that it looks poor. I remember a british league riders championship in the 80's and 90's was actually better class of field then the world final as in those days there were no eastern block obligatory 4 or 5 riders in the BLRC. Now we have 3-5 gp riders in there

No disrespect to the riders in this field but it highlights to me how watered down the elite league is now. Holder and Ward true class and throw in Freddie as well but after that it looks poor. I remember a british league riders championship in the 80's and 90's was actually better class of field then the world final as in those days there were no eastern block obligatory 4 or 5 riders in the BLRC. Now we have 3-5 gp riders in there

Is it really a watered down field. All three riders you mention were in it last season and they were all beaten to the title, quite easily in fact.

speedy i take your point but the meeting just doesnt excite me like it used to back in the day and i dont use my hard earned for it anymore sme with the british finl. to those that do go hope its a great meeting and all stay safe

I'd agree given the line-up for previous years but I went last year and it was a really good meeting (a credit to Swindon and big Ron), plenty of passing and incidents - including the last bend victory for Schlein.

A meeting well worth going to, unless you want to watch Bruce Forsyth and his crap jokes and the so called talent fiasco on the other side.

I wonder if Peter Kildemand is available as a reserve, as he could do well if riding.

carnt go myself this year but it was a cracker last year.get along if you can

Weather sounds good for this tomorrow, haven't been to an ELRC for a while, supporting our man, NKI :)

I'm surprised by a couple of early posts about the riders in the field. For as long as I can recall it's always been the same. It's the top rider from each club and the best of the rest. In '95 there were more than 16 teams so there was just one rider from the top clubs with some others missing out. Cradley had Hamill in it as he had topped the averages nationwide, but Hancock, who was second in the averages that season, missed out on the meeting. In fact Simon Cross, who was third in the Cradley averages, missed out despite averaging more that year than all-but five of the riders in the EL this season (and I've subtracted the bonus points to get a comparable figure).

There's no reason why the named field can't produce a good meeting though. As long as the BSPA insist that the nominated riders must ride, or face a fine/ban, to stop riders suddenly developing a cough or an ingrowing toenail then there's no reason that the ELRC can't be a cracking meeting whenever it's held.

Is there anyone going to this meeting who would be able to text updates to the updates site? If so, could you please either leave a message here or send me an email or pm.

Thanks

Nice of Sky to show an interest in this as always, oh wait

But why should they?