British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Super Blue

Mildenhall 2013

Hope the above 2 posters don't mind if I make a slight correction.

The Kent Kings are a brand new club and are not Rye House.

Appreciate Len is our co-promoter and we have asked John to manage the team but the clubs promoter is Roger Cearns and the club are a completely separate entity to Rye House.

Cheers

Nikko

PS - looking forward to seeing loads of old friends when we visit West Row

Edited by Nikko

[quote name=Nikko'

timestamp='1360309331' post='2242939]

Hope the above 2 posters don't mind if I make a slight correction.

The Kent Kings are a brand new club and are not Rye House.

Appreciate Len is our co-promoter and we have asked John to manage the

team but the clubs promoter is Roger Cearns and the club are a

completely separate entity to Rye House.

Cheers

My apologies :)

Rye aren't Rye. They are the Sittingbourne 'kings' I believe :)

Yes, you are correct of course, old habits die hard, or so they say. :wink: must be the Silver connection, Im sure Nikko will forgive me, it is indeed The Sittingbourne Kings.

Cant see Mildenhall being Top 4, best i can see is 5th. IOW, Stoke, Rye, and The Heathens are i think stronger, Im expecting to see Lambert at 6 or 7 for Rye.

Like all successful sides, Mildenhall have had to break up their side from last season. Heeps, Blackbird and Jacobs will take some replacing in the Fen Tigers side. If Nielsen keeps progressing, he'll be an excellent number one. If Stoneman picks up from before his injury, he'll be one of the best reserves in the league and could well move into the top five as a result.

Halsey is a solid heat-leader at home, but, IMO, has to prove he can be consistent away.

Jon has had a while out, but obviously still has the desire to race and if he's anywhere near his best can still be a consistent double figure scorer at this level.

If Josh Bates continues to progress, he'll be a very good second string and could push on towards heat-leader standard.

Aaron Baseby is a solid second string who could push the top three averages if he continues his development.

Liam Rumsey won races round West Row for Stoke last season and if he can do that regularly for Mildenhall could well prove a shrewd signing.

Mildenhall, will of course, face a massive challenge to emulate last season's magnificent achievements.

They'll be tough to beat at West Row, but could find it tough away, as I think several teams will be stronger round their own tracks than they were last season. They should compete for the play-offs, but will find it much tougher to secure a spot this time. There is still a lot of potential there, alongside the experience of Armstrong. The availability (or not) of doubling up riders could also be a significant factor.

Of the other sides Dudley will be strong again and have a top two as good as any in the league. Overall, like Mildenhall, not quite as strong as last season though, perhaps. Plus there looks to be more competition from other sides. IOW have taken advantage of Dudley's changes and seem to have their strongest side since dropping down from the PL. To me, they look certs for the top four, with a serious chance of winning trophies.

Stoke have a number of riders either returning to the sport, or complete newcomers to NL level, but if they gel and show their best form, they'll be competitive for the play-offs. Hard to say with Kent, as they've only signed two so far. However, they'll no doubt bring in most of last year's Raiders team, so will be a combination of experience and potential. With the fresh impetus of being a new club and if they can get another proven heat leader and discover a promising newcomer or two, they should have a serious play-off chance.

Lynn have a solid top five with potential to improve and that puts them in with a play-off chance, especially if they can sign some reserves who can improve their starting averages.

Buxton have an experienced top three who can beat the best on their day, but will need their lower order and newcomers to make significant progress to have a play-off chance. Coventry have some riders who can compete with the best on their day, but may not have enough for the top four.

I'll predict (with Kent and Lynn not yet complete). IOW and Dudley look like likely top two (in whichever order). Then two of Mildenhall, Stoke, Kent, Lynn with a potentially really close scrap to make up the top four. Followed by Coventry and Buxton (possibly in that order).

Edited by neil3065

I think Mildenhall have a cracking team full of youth, potential and promise - I'll be surprised if they don't make the play offs.

Throw in Toothless Bob's excellent racing track and West Row will be a very good place to go to watch your speedway next season.

• Like 3

You looking for a season ticket ? Don't encourage him Kev.

We got on wello enough without him last year Tony.

Glory hunting to**er I reckon :drink:

• Like 3

very likley Kev .Perhaps it is the effects of the cold on the upper lip now the dead rat has been removed !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

FROM The Official Mildenhall website -

Mildenhall Fen Tigers have frozen admission prices for the 2013 season. It means the cost of watching the Grand Slam winners at West Row will remain at £12 for adults, £11 for concessions and Juniors aged under 15 will still get free admission. The match day programme will stay priced at £1.50.

Commenting on the decision, club chairman Kevin Jolly said, "We know that last year's increases made us more expensive than we would have liked, but for various reasons we really had no choice. Although the costs of running the club aren't getting any cheaper, we are only too aware that it's still a tough time for people economically, so we decided it would be unfair to expect supporters to dip into their pockets even more to watch their speedway, especially after the fantastic loyalty they've shown to us since we relaunched the club in 2011. I'm certain it'll be another season that will give value for money for both home and visiting supporters."

Jolly has also confirmed that fans will be welcome to attend this year's Press and Practice weekend on 16th and 17th March at West Row. "We have an open practise session on the Saturday starting at 10.30am which we are expecting plenty of riders to take part in. Then on Sunday we have our Press day and supporters can come to that after midday. We thought it would give everyone a chance to blow away the winter cobwebs and see the 2013 team take to the track for the first time."

Admission is free although there will be fundraising events taking place. The Fenman Bar and Fish and Chip Bar will also be open on both days

The Press and practise weekend has had to be abandoned due to track conditions and the weekends forecast.

A new date will be advised once known.

Hi all! I'm a speedway fan from Poland currently living in Cambridge. I was hoping to meet some fans who go from/via Cam to speedway meetings and I was told that Mildenhall is the right place to look at. I'd be very happy to get in touch with anyone willing to offer a lift to a keen foreigner or just to watch SGP coverages somewhere in town (if such are offered anywhere at all). Many thanks in advance for all useful tips and contacts!