British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bigred

Scunthorpe Saints - Not Entering N L 2013 :(

This is the 3rd time Scunny have had their riders poached in 3 years that I know of where is the rider loyalty Scunny had a good 2 year program and clearly some of the riders saw pound signs over development. I believe that was the reason for Worrall's and Birks older riders but more loyalty.

Yr 1 The scunthorpe 3

Yr 2 Nielson

Yr 3 ?????.

Scunny were well on their way to a championship again in 2013.

I know there were other reasons for not runing but if all 7 riders were desperate to come to the tapes I'm sure RG wouldn't have let them down.

Hope they do manage it in 2014 which 2013 I suspect is a year to develop riders Amatuer and MDL ready for the saints in 2014.

Well, the Heathens are looking for at least 6 riders on loan and Cov will almost certainly need a few. Stoke and IOW, for example, may be looking for a number 1. I'd like to think the Scunny lads will get fixed up. At least from that point of view it would soften the blow a touch.

Although the NL may be changing by becoming increasingly professional and competitive one should consider that we now have the amateur league which could be argued to fill the void between newcomers and the lower end of current NL teams. It's certainly the argument I would make. Personally I think this four-tier programme for riders is very good for them and the sport. It is showing riders trying to make a breakthrough where they need to be just to compete with NL reserves. Having someone to chase is what they need to improve. Likewise, the riders a step ahead in the middle order of NL teams need strong heat leaders to chase after to gauge their progress against riders currently holding PL reserve places. I give Perry as an example. He had a super season and I believe having Roynon in the team helped him no end. The banter between them was great. Every week Perry stated he was after that number 1 race jacket off Roynon. It was, perhaps, a significant part of his motivation and it carried him to second in the averages. The coming season could be interesting in that regard as we lose a few to the PL and riders like Morris, Jacobs, Blackbird, Reade and Young could be expected to step up again to become genuine out-and-out heat leaders.

'Tapping-up' should not be condoned but without any insider information we should consider that it's possible riders may have stated they don't want to stay with 'x' and would rather ride for 'y'.

I think the daft low points limit is also to blame as much as anything for the problems some clubs may have. It's staggering to think that even KL cannot keep the same 1-7. Only IOW can strengthen for next season. How do you 'sell' to you fans, potential new fans and sponsors that a team struggling in 2012 must be made weaker for 2013? There's not enough continuity or growth.

Well, the Heathens are looking for at least 6 riders on loan and Cov will almost certainly need a few. Stoke and IOW, for example, may be looking for a number 1. I'd like to think the Scunny lads will get fixed up. At least from that point of view it would soften the blow a touch.

Although the NL may be changing by becoming increasingly professional and competitive one should consider that we now have the amateur league which could be argued to fill the void between newcomers and the lower end of current NL teams. It's certainly the argument I would make. Personally I think this four-tier programme for riders is very good for them and the sport. It is showing riders trying to make a breakthrough where they need to be just to compete with NL reserves. Having someone to chase is what they need to improve. Likewise, the riders a step ahead in the middle order of NL teams need strong heat leaders to chase after to gauge their progress against riders currently holding PL reserve places. I give Perry as an example. He had a super season and I believe having Roynon in the team helped him no end. The banter between them was great. Every week Perry stated he was after that number 1 race jacket off Roynon. It was, perhaps, a significant part of his motivation and it carried him to second in the averages. The coming season could be interesting in that regard as we lose a few to the PL and riders like Morris, Jacobs, Blackbird, Reade and Young could be expected to step up again to become genuine out-and-out heat leaders.

'Tapping-up' should not be condoned but without any insider information we should consider that it's possible riders may have stated they don't want to stay with 'x' and would rather ride for 'y'.

I think the daft low points limit is also to blame as much as anything for the problems some clubs may have. It's staggering to think that even KL cannot keep the same 1-7. Only IOW can strengthen for next season. How do you 'sell' to you fans, potential new fans and sponsors that a team struggling in 2012 must be made weaker for 2013? There's not enough continuity or growth.

Im not sure the NL is coming more competitive,it seems that there`s two teams in the NL who are streets a head of the rest,and again i fully expect them to battle it out in 2013,last year you had Stoke,Mildenhall,Belle Vue and Scunny,all went in the playoffs with a chance,

The NL was mostly made up of teams with development in mind,now it seems to be a playground for PL teams that have had to drop down and Dudley who are using it to a springboard to better things,[which after not applying for PL this time could be questioned]

Is there a link between the change in the make up of the NL and the drop is standard of british rider??? could be... time will tell i guess

No Scunny in 3rd tier racing is bad news full stop,and my biggest fear is if the NL continues down the path its on now,you may see other clubs fall by the way side,Will Rye run a NL team this year from there home base?? will Buxton run?? who knows,but times are s h y t e for rider development thats for sure,as the development leagues are no replacement fro the NL.

As a big fan of the youngsters and have known about Scunny not running NL since Tuesday. I've been gutted ( to say the least ) and so disillusioned with British speedway I'm finding it difficult to even give speedway a 2nd thought at the moment. NO SAINTS in this their 2nd year. I feel robbed of not seeing them develop and ready for a prem slot 2014. .As for the AM meetings why bother! The excitement for scunny fans watching the AM racing was to see our riders competing with others, often better riders!

More biased and complete rubbish from a Heathens fan, one of the main clubs responsible for the demise of the National League by their failure to apply points money limits for their riders. I was ridiculed for stating that the National League was losing its way but to lose a club like Scunthorpe who have produced some of the brightest British talents over the last few seasons is staggering.

The National League is supposed to be a development league and is being forced into a different level by certain clubs who employ elite league riders. An issue that should never be allowed. How on earth do people expect riders to compete with such riders who are sponsored and riding engines that will be highly tuned and way way beyond the affordability of most National League riders.

I trust the BSPA take full notice of Scunthorpes position and think long and hard about the direction of the National League.

• Like 5

Here we go........Dudley's fault again!

Dudley were not in the NL when it was changed from the CL to the NL from my memories,

There has always be a conflict of interests for those competing in the British 3rd Division since it was created, just like when St Austell and Linlithgow were accused of 'win at all costs' way back.

I do hope that Mr Godfrey has a change of heart by time the declaration date for the final teams to be announced or that some else can take over running the Saints and has them riding out of Scunthorpe as a stand alone team either as Scunthorpe or by another name (Hull maybe)!

Edited by berniev123

Talk about missing the point. The National League is a training league. If each team is bringing in two new 3.00 riders each season, the points limit is about right, although I'd like to see it reduced to 36 or 38.

The top riders in the NL should be moving into the PL each season, leaving the bottom five in the team plus two new youngsters for the following year.

The National League is first and foremost a training ground. Any team success is just a bonus.

All the best

Rob

• Like 6

This is the 3rd time Scunny have had their riders poached in 3 years that I know of where is the rider loyalty Scunny had a good 2 year program and clearly some of the riders saw pound signs over development.

Or maybe some riders prefer to ride for their local club (and get in more meetings!) instead of a regular 250 mile round trip?

Just a thought?

Talk about missing the point. The National League is a training league. If each team is bringing in two new 3.00 riders each season, the points limit is about right, although I'd like to see it reduced to 36 or 38.

The top riders in the NL should be moving into the PL each season, leaving the bottom five in the team plus two new youngsters for the following year.

The National League is first and foremost a training ground. Any team success is just a bonus.

All the best wil you stop refering to national le\ague as a training league ok it was once but not anymore the junior leagues are know the training leagues national league as outgrown that twit

All the best

Rob

le

Rob

stop calling the national league a training league,it as outgrown that status the the junior league is the training league the national league is a third division and is more proffesonal now that is a fact sorry e up malcolm feeling guilty

Edited by bw double

National league professional....your having a laugh arnt you bwd???.the nl always was a training league...now it seems to be lacking any real purpose or direction.

Disgraceful they have not beenm tapped or spken to by Stoke

Lets see who they join

Malcolm Vasey

Do you mean that it's disgraceful that Dave Tattum has failed to tap anyone up?

All the best

Rob

Thats exactly the problem but its the bspa who are to blame, Why not bring in a rule where every prem league club has to have 2 under 21 brits in the team each year, poland do it, sweden do it and thats why we are miles behind them as a speedway nation. Only today Joe Jacobs was moaning on facebook about how his rolling average was over 9 points but still not a single call from a PL promoter, Joes good enough to be a PL reserve and that would free up a place at mildenhall for a new kid to come through. So im sorry to all the people who want to blame Dudley for every problem in british speedway but maybe the BSPA should be taking a little bit of the blame.

Edited by rami
  • Like 1