British Speedway Forum
Paul

Kent 2013

If there's more than a 1.22 between Mason and Compton maybe Gary Cottham could be fit enough after his injury to replace one of the 3 pointers?

Is Marc Owen considering a return to speedway?

Edited by Shadders

Unless Compton comes in on about a 5,Owen wouldn't fit unless further changes were made

very unlikely Shadders, I think Marc still has issues with a shoulder injury.

I just can`t get my head around this move. David was not the problem, it`s the long tail.

Also I wouldn`t believe a word of what the Slug has put in his press release. Lets wait to hear Davids version.

This is a sad day for Kent, to sack the captain after 7 rides is a crazy knee jerk reaction.

very unlikely Shadders, I think Marc still has issues with a shoulder injury.

I just can`t get my head around this move. David was not the problem, it`s the long tail.

Also I wouldn`t believe a word of what the Slug has put in his press release. Lets wait to hear Davids version.

This is a sad day for Kent, to sack the captain after 7 rides is a crazy knee jerk reaction.

Kent's problem with the line up started when 1 rider used up 1/4 of the points limit tbh.

Releasing mason at least gives a little bit more points to play with.

• Like 2

This release of David Mason shows just hiw ridiculous the averages are. They never achieve equalisation of team strengths as is proved by results once the season gets underway. It now means the departure of a rider who is far better and probably always will be than others who continue to make up the Kings team.

It's not the first time nor will it be the last in which a quality rider has been forced out of the sport because people with calculators have to much say in the sport's governance.

I wonder what sort of local following David Mason had with new fans at Central Park and how they will react to what has happened and lose some (or all?) interest in speedway?

The loss of David Mason will be felt in the pits as much as on the track. I should think his advice was invaluable for the younger members of the team.

• Like 2

and the fact he lent stuff to half the team let alone all the promo work he`s done for Kent.

well I can assure you that David did not step down, he was sacked via a phone call this morning. That press release is a crock of rubbish

The Kings problem isn't the long tail, there are plenty of NL sides with long tails, it's not a negative thing, three pointers riding in the NL means that young Brits are coming through. It is important however that the Kings top three score points to enable the 3 pointers to settle in.

It's a shame David has gone as his experience and guidance would prove invaluable but there is no way he would have achieved his starting average, especially with his home track not being Rye House.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with the extra point the Kings have gained as David has moved on, it's a new venture though so they have to start winning meetings before too long.

I've got to agree with Pitstop 100%. That so called Press Release was obviously written by Hans Christian Anderson. However if you do believe it, then sit by your chimney on Christmas Eve and a man in a Red Suit will pop out. The losers in this farce are the paying fans and the youngsters from the original line up who have lost an honest and respected mentor. A mentor who Helped, Encouraged, and someone who would have helped every rider in any way, by his advice and encouragement would,I believe, have put a further 1,2 or even 3 points on to their averages. Then we would have had a team that was going places. Why have the powers that be had to tell, what tantamounts to a pack of blatant lies about this whole sorry saga. To expect us to believe that a rider has thrown his hand in after just 7 races, well it beggars belief.

The Kings problem isn't the long tail, there are plenty of NL sides with long tails, it's not a negative thing, three pointers riding in the NL means that young Brits are coming through. It is important however that the Kings top three score points to enable the 3 pointers to settle in.

It's a shame David has gone as his experience and guidance would prove invaluable but there is no way he would have achieved his starting average, especially with his home track not being Rye House.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with the extra point the Kings have gained as David has moved on, it's a new venture though so they have to start winning meetings before too long.

At the start of the season Len Silver said that he never looks at the riders averages and the team total average, when asked why the Rye House team was built with around 2 pts to spare.

I believe he also said Kent with the team they had planned were going to be challenging for honors this year!!!

At the start of the season Len Silver said that he never looks at the riders averages and the team total average, when asked why the Rye House team was built with around 2 pts to spare.

I believe he also said Kent with the team they had planned were going to be challenging for honors this year!!!

I'm guessing he thought Robert Lambert would do a whole season when he said this..

Unfortunately it appears this whole situation is a whole load of bad press..Not what a club (especially a new 1) needs in these times

DAVID MASON SACKED ‘THE TRUTH’

By David Mason Racing.co.uk | Wednesday 15th May 2013

“I don’t believe what is going on!” These were the words uttered by a rider who has been a loyal servant to his promoter whom he has known for fourteen years. That is Kent CTA Fire Kings co-promoter Len Silver, who Wednesday morning sacked his skipper after just seven rides this year.

Mason clearly annoyed by the way he was informed and the whole episode handled on Wednesday said, “I’ve known Len for fourteen years and he has treated me like this is disgusting and I can’t believe it. He didn’t even have the decency to say goodbye on the phone, he just hung up. I did not stand down, no way did I stand down and no way did I give up my captaincy!”

The first signing for Kent CTA Fire Kings earlier this year explained today’s bombshell. “Len phoned me and said he’s got no choice but to make changes after the second meeting because we lost by twenty points. He sacked me, he told me I was sacked and that he was bringing in Benji Compton. I said to Len at the time that you must be joking because I’ve put so much effort in this year not only to help and promote Kent Speedway along with bringing my sponsors to become involved with the club, I feel that not only has Len let them down, I feel disgusted for them because of the way that I have been treated.”

Mason has been associated with Silver for many years, when not picked to ride for his Rye House team he has been loaned out to other clubs such as Weymouth and Mildenhall during this last decade. The idea of a transfer to another team has never crossed his mind; he has always stayed loyal to the promoter who holds his registration. “With the investment in equipment for the season that I have made do you think that I would stand down? This is not about me standing down at all, I wouldn’t dream of standing down. If I commit to something then I commit to something and give it 100%. I don’t back down after one and a half meetings, why would I want to do that?” Continued Mason who added, “I feel so sorry for my sponsors and my supporters. Many have made me fully aware that they will not be attending Kent Speedway in the future.”

After reading the press release issued by Kent Speedway Mason was furious and said, “I can’t believe the press release that was issued by my promoter, supporters and sponsors deserve to know the truth that ‘I was sacked’, I certainly would not stand down and do that to Kent Speedway, the supporters and sponsors.”

Mason concluded, “This isn’t the best decision that the club has made, Benji and I are not the answer for Kent Speedway. People who go and understand speedway know where the answer lies. If you make changes you don’t do it after seven races you give everyone a fair chance.”

• Like 3

Very poorly handled,the whole thing. :sad: