British Speedway Forum
Paul

Kent 2013

I take it you were there JTW ? , adam was leading the Heathens No1 in the one race when Ash brought Adam down, In the others he was competitive, meaning a close up second, so if you werent there, i suggest you keep your bare fact observations to yourself, and let people who were there say it as they saw it, adam improved as the meeting went on, which is all you can expect from a young rider.

Well said.

• Like 1

As a stand alone team it should have been considerably stronger,,it was built to accomodate Steve Boxall with a very high average and Robert Lambert with a ridiculously low one like Adam Ellis at the I.O.W ,,coming in at reserve ...Ellis signed ,,Lambert did,nt ..Hence the present situation,,not ideal and difficult now to resolve,,personally i feel sorry for David Mason he put a lot into pre season promotions and would have improved when and if ?? the track improves,, and it remains to be seen if Benji Compton can return to his best form on a track that at the moment is far from ideal for any rider.....Let alone first season rookies !!..

I can't see a promoter of the ilk of Len Silver getting caught out in such spectacular fashion. Len Silver said he had built a championship team. I can still see Lambert putting in an appearance later on in the season., ala Jerran Hart (2009) at Bournemouth, :t:

I can't see a promoter of the ilk of Len Silver getting caught out in such spectacular fashion. Len Silver said he had built a championship team. I can still see Lambert putting in an appearance later on in the season., ala Jerran Hart (2009) at Bournemouth, :t:

I cant see that happening...

As a stand alone team it should have been considerably stronger,,it was built to accomodate Steve Boxall with a very high average and Robert Lambert with a ridiculously low one like Adam Ellis at the I.O.W ,,coming in at reserve ...Ellis signed ,,Lambert did,nt ..Hence the present situation,,not ideal and difficult now to resolve,,personally i feel sorry for David Mason he put a lot into pre season promotions and would have improved when and if ?? the track improves,, and it remains to be seen if Benji Compton can return to his best form on a track that at the moment is far from ideal for any rider.....Let alone first season rookies !!..

Why is Adam Ellis's average ridiculously low ??

His first ever competitive meeting was in July last year ?

Why is Adam Ellis's average ridiculously low ??

His first ever competitive meeting was in July last year ?

Because he is another anomaly we get every year in this league with a rider of exceptional ability allowed to remain at reserve for a very long time before his true average takes him to no1 , He is probably the best rider in his team and indeed rides at a higher level in the premier league and will likely be riding in the elite league very shortly.. And i would add very good luck to him he is an outstanding prospect ,,...He should have been given a new average based on last years performances,,, that is only my opinion,, you are of course entitled to yours... Edited by waco

If I was a regular paying spectator I would not want to see trainees learning how to ride in official matches and at the same time see that formula force out of the sport - because that's what happens - better more talented and experienced riders because of stupid points equalisation rules.

The first match I ever saw had some of the great pre-war stars in action like Ron Johnson, Geoff Pymar and Jack Parker and that type of rider has always been my yardstick although sadly I don't think their names mean very much these days.

Then noivces had to graduate into team places through their own second-half races, sometimes move up to race against their club's reserves again in the second half, and then when they started to defeat them were then given their chance in the side. In those days novices had to work hard to win a team slot.

Now it seems all you need is to be 16 years old, buy a bike, look fast at a trial and you get a team place while a much better rider (i.e David Mason who has honed his skills and can still do a far better job) is kicked out of the sport.

Well it seems you are out of touch with how riders progress these days, but not a lot of difference from your yardstick exists with the current crop of Kent Kings.

Basically they stuggle to buy a bike and rely on parents and friends to chip in and help.

Visit various training schools country wide learnings and gaining experience at great expense.

Possibly they enter junior or amatuer meetings building their skill level and spending more money.

If they are lucky, possibly they get an opportunity to ride in SJL, MDL or AJL meetings for free and spending a lot more money.

Next they are chosen and have the opportunity to ride at National League level and are a bit overawed initially by the experience and settle down and become the riders on the way to Premier level and even Elite League racing.

These are the bread and butter riders, but we do have exceptions with a special given talent who move from basics to top in a couple of seasons.

Hope this puts to bed your current misconceptions about todays speedway and to everyone who pays to go to National League Speedway it is true honest lads trying their best.

Good luck to all at Kent Kings Speedway for giving the youngsters opportunities, you will benefit in the long run. To all you WHINERS give it a rest or better still get down there and see some speedway.

• Like 3

From where I live in south east London I estimate that in travel time and watching the Kent Kings meeting at Sittingbourne it would be around seven hours in total, plus an outlay on rail fares, return taxi from station to track, admission and programme about £40. Just to watch trainees? I don't think so.

And I don't think relative costs and time involved to my two "local' senior tracks at Rye House and Lakeside would be much difference. And also do I want the 'adventure' of late night travel in London on my journey home?

I have no misconceptions about speedway - I have been following it for far too many years for that to happen.

Typical response from a head in the sand protagonist against new talent.

The riders at Kent are not trainees.

As for following speedway, with fans like you I am not suprised that English lads give up early due to uneccesary criticism.

I will not post further on this topic and will not be bated.

Come on Kent Kings.

In terms of his confidence they were very valid points, as was the experience of racing at Monmore for the first time. I find it very sad that a 'speedway fan' can be so negative towards young riders who need all the encouragement they can get.

I appreciate this is a forum and all opinions are valid but have you considered saying something positive on here for a change?

well since speedway is all about confidence and you seem to think gaining points you haven/t raced for will increase confidence and make these not so inexperienced lads into better riders , how about introducing a new rule whereby all national league reserves are awarded 5 points every match , that will give them the confidence to score some points on merit won't it . ? before you know it Middlo will be spoilt for choice for team GB and they will be fighting it out for GP qualification

Good to hear that extensive work has been carried out on the track this week .Hopefully it will ride better and give the riders more confidence ..I do feel that an improved track was all that was needed for David Mason to show his true form... Looking forward to a good meeting on monday. 3 pm start weather looking fine...

so . 1 point from a 3 rider race . and 2 second places in 3 rider races beating only his own man constitutes a good night for Adam does it . well i suppose he did manage to stay on for 3 races so that is an improvement

Just been in contact with Adam and he says thanks for acknowledging the improvement, it made his day. Says it makes the 7 hour trip worthwhile ;-)

What I do find somewhat incongruous John aka "gustix" is that you feel the necessity to criticise something you've never personally witnessed i.e. Conference League racing.

Edited by Bryn
  • Like 1

Just been in contact with Adam and he says thanks for acknowledging the improvement, it made his day. Says it makes the 7 hour trip worthwhile ;-)

Well does he want to ride or not ? he gets paid to travel so wheres the heroics in a 7 hour journey . if he didn't travel 7 hours he wouldn't

have a team place ,

Whoosh :-D

Now on my way to watch Elite League Speedway where riders always beat everyone not just their team mates and never fall off!

Edited by RumOldBird

Neil Vachter (or Lakeside) wearing one of two hats saw the potential and signed him, not Adams fault he can mix it at both National and Premier League levels. Be thankful that he may soon be mixing it at the top level and for Britain.

As for Kent let the lads find their feet and with more shale laid they may do just that and surprise a few.

Gustix do you actually attend speedway meetings these days as you seem to be living in the past . Things have changed a lot over the years not always for the better ill admit but thats the way it is now ..And you need to comment on things as they are now.. ;):t: