British Speedway Forum
Ghostwalker

No More Semi-final Gate Picks

If you have a stopwatch and give him 10 secs to inform you or he`s given what`s left- he will :approve:

WOULD you like to put money on that...

• Like 1

I also thought that the semi final gate pics were drawn out for the benifit of the TV stations, could be done much quicker if they wanted to.

Regarding Lucifer Sams post, who exactly would decide which is the best gate and which is the worse? Surely it is down to personal preference for the riders. I would think that at some meetings opinions differ greatly as to which gate is the best or not.

Any way, how do we get to see monster girls if we can't see the gate draw!! :P

It is an easy task for anyone to calculate the total number of points scored from each gate during the first 20 heats and then allocate the ones with the most points to the highest scoring riders etc.

THERE are some other plans for the Monster girls, who will still be present at the draw for gate positions in the final.

You are right that often riders have different views on the best gates but sometimes choices are fairly predictable.

In an interview with Ole Olsen in the latest issue of the Swedish speedway magazine

Speedway racing, Ole Olsen said that they have scrapped the semi final gate picks.

Ole considered it unfair for the riders who did the best in the round robin stage

to be able to pick their gates. Instead there will be a draw to decide which rider

goes to which gate for the semi finals. Gate pick will still be in place for the finals though.

I don't really like this. Ole was asked about the gate differences that there usually are

and just said "they are working on it". I don't its particular fair if the best rider during the

night ended up with one of those really "dead" gates and thus loosing out on a place in the final.

Ole also mentioned the dirt problem or lack grip on the tracks and he claimed

that they "are working on it" but that the riders already are having problems with

it and the engines have become more sensitive.

Jeez, these bodies are really trying to kill speedway arn't they!! Boffin, look im telling you now, these headlights are going to be a superb inovation you can see down the straights and into the turns with them, and if you feel your going to fast then you have a brake pedal to slow you down, brilliant. Promoter, yeh but speedway is speedway thats why its such an exciting family sport, no brakes no gears 4 riders flat out, lots of noise.Boffin, ah, i can solve that problem as well, i have this silencer!!

Boffin, well im going to put this to the powers that be. Powers that be, great idea Boffin, we'l sanction it straight away, could you posibly invent indicators for when the riders turn left?? Powers that be, so how much will all this lot cost? Boffin, oh just a couple of quid!! :lol::icon_smile_clown:

Edited by Starman2006

THERE are some other plans for the Monster girls, who will still be present at the draw for gate positions in the final.

Will it involve lingerie?

Boffin, look im telling you now, these headlights are going to be a superb inovation you can see down the straights and into the turns with them, and if you feel your going to fast then you have a brake pedal to slow you down, brilliant.

You might laugh, but didn't Ole suggest having chicanes or something similar in the bends a few years back...? :blink:

I WOULD be the first to admit that not all of Ole Olsen's suggestions are worthy but at least he is always trying to think of ways to make the product more entertaining and not to standstill. The work manual that he produced for the GP, which is still the benchmark today, set the bar very high for those organising and staging SGP rounds and is referred to constantly.

You might laugh, but didn't Ole suggest having chicanes or something similar in the bends a few years back...? :blink:

problem is mate, im not laughing, and is certainly no laughing matter!! There a bunch of idiots.

Edited by Starman2006

I WOULD be the first to admit that not all of Ole Olsen's suggestions are worthy but at least he is always trying to think of ways to make the product more entertaining and not to standstill. The work manual that he produced for the GP, which is still the benchmark today, set the bar very high for those organising and staging SGP rounds and is referred to constantly.

He COULD try putting some DIRT on his Tracks - that just MIGHT help!!

.............or perhaps the Danes would not be too happy with that???

YOU are being very simplistic just suggesting that dirt on a track will produce better racing. It won't, it is a myth. Riders want tracks that provide grip, are consistent and predictable but at the highest level any rider worth his salt is capable of winning a race. I saw EVERY World Final between 1963 and 1994 and there wasn't that much passing in any of them.

Talk to any current GP rider and he will tell you that the temporary tracks at Copenhagen and Cardiff, along with Gothenburg this year (no rain) and even Auckland were fantastic. You cannot just blame the stage on which they perform if you don't like the show.

I have said and written this many, many times: there is no perfect formula to producing the perfect speedway track. It is not an exact science or like baking a cake. What works one day doesn't necessarily work on another and simply throwing dirt on a track achieves nothing and more often than not results in races that have riders very strung out. Where is the entertainment in that?

Ole did favour slick tracks because they are easier to handle if the weather intervenes but Tony Olsson has a different objective but you cannot just rustle up a great surface at the click of your fingers, especially at some of the stadiums where the track staff don't always listen (intentionally or otherwise) to what he proposes.

I may be in a minority (wouldn't be the first time) but I enjoy the spectacle of riders, in close combat, elbow-to-elbow, having faith in each other and the track surface and wouldn't swap that for the odd pass or two.

One thing Ole is working on is an all-weather track. He firmly believes that it is possible to manufacture the perfect racing circuit that will not be susceptible to the weather. What a legacy that would be.

I SHOULD add that what really makes a speedway track is having more than one racing line, giving riders the option to go inside or out, often on the same lap. That was a major reason why the old Hyde Road track was so good and why, in recent times, the tracks at Bydgoszcz, Gorzow, Torun and Malilla have produced so many great GPs.

So, to summarise your post in two sentences...

The best racing is produced by tracks with more than one racing line, but that this is often difficult to achieve as there is no set formula.

Ole Olsen favours slick tracks that do not provide more than one racing line but do allow close combat racing without much passing.

I think that is all most people have been complaining about for years.

And just a thought ...

If Ole Olsen had been track curator at Hyde Road instead of Stan Ford or, later, Roy Carter ... Would it's reputation for producing great racing be higher or lower?

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 1

where has the general improvements been. the show is the same as 10years ago really. a bit here and there has changed but thats it.

YOU are being very simplistic just suggesting that dirt on a track will produce better racing. It won't, it is a myth. Riders want tracks that provide grip, are consistent and predictable but at the highest level any rider worth his salt is capable of winning a race. I saw EVERY World Final between 1963 and 1994 and there wasn't that much passing in any of them.

Talk to any current GP rider and he will tell you that the temporary tracks at Copenhagen and Cardiff, along with Gothenburg this year (no rain) and even Auckland were fantastic. You cannot just blame the stage on which they perform if you don't like the show.

all weather track ? very easy really just produce a decent tyre for the conditons would help not the rubbish they ride on at present.

I have said and written this many, many times: there is no perfect formula to producing the perfect speedway track. It is not an exact science or like baking a cake. What works one day doesn't necessarily work on another and simply throwing dirt on a track achieves nothing and more often than not results in races that have riders very strung out. Where is the entertainment in that?

Ole did favour slick tracks because they are easier to handle if the weather intervenes but Tony Olsson has a different objective but you cannot just rustle up a great surface at the click of your fingers, especially at some of the stadiums where the track staff don't always listen (intentionally or otherwise) to what he proposes.

I may be in a minority (wouldn't be the first time) but I enjoy the spectacle of riders, in close combat, elbow-to-elbow, having faith in each other and the track surface and wouldn't swap that for the odd pass or two.

One thing Ole is working on is an all-weather track. He firmly believes that it is possible to manufacture the perfect racing circuit that will not be susceptible to the weather. What a legacy that would be.

I SHOULD add that what really makes a speedway track is having more than one racing line, giving riders the option to go inside or out, often on the same lap. That was a major reason why the old Hyde Road track was so good and why, in recent times, the tracks at Bydgoszcz, Gorzow, Torun and Malilla have produced so many great GPs.

How much will this special track cost from Ole and will the ingrediants be as secret as the rovers hot pot ? Ole does not do anything for free and will be able to charege for this for years to come. very clever man really.

IF you devised the world's best lift no doubt you would charge anyone who wanted to copy it...

He doesn't?

Ohh... Kone is Finnish.