British Speedway Forum
The White Knight

No Gps On Sky Television Next Year?

Do any British riders compete in the European championship this year?

If not, it will also test the hypothesis that the GP needs a British rider in order to maintain interest in the UK.

Interesting times ahead.

40 minutes?!?!

Was that 35 minutes of on-hold music, bouncing around the various options, listening to pre-recorded messages, etc, and then 5 minutes of negotiating with the Sky employee trying to persuade you to remain? Or more like a full 40 minutes of full-on negotiation?

I'm likely to be making the same call tomorrow (with very little interest in retaining the package- no matter how big a discount) and intrigued to know the size of the upcoming chore...

The main part of the conversation was me trying to tell her what speedway was as every time I said speedway GP she looked up what was on their schedule it reverted back t oFormula One GP's. I asked if she would throw HD in for the same money but they wanted another £10.85 per month for this. She eventually said I could have it for £5.00. I said how about £2.00 but no deal even though they offered me it for that price three months ago. My son is now on his 6th price reduction so it can be done.

A little tip here, . I registered to receive Sky through the internet so I can watch it anywhere on my Laptop. My son who does not have Sky Sports logs into mine on the internet and puts it up on his TV for free.

• Like 1

Oh you have to love the customer retention team at Sky tv I can confirm that at present no plans for Danish or Swedish league racing on Sky next year. There is however plans to show the Euro league meetings featuring British clubs the home legs will be live but the away matches may be recorded and shown a day or so later on.

With regards to the Gps on Sky all I can say is door still not bolted and welded shut but the catch and clasp have been put on the door, One thing I can say is if anybody does cancel through Sky the reason for cancellation and removing sport is taken very seriously and is reported on and distributed around the business so keep stating the reason as Speedway as could make a difference and make certain people realise how many subscribers are Speedway fans . In the new year this will be looked at even closer as I have stated before there are other sports that have had contracts reduced or not renewed so no more Dogs, fishing mania,equestrian events and others with reduced events include Darts,Snooker, Tennis and Pool.

Edited by flagrag

Oh you have to love the customer retention team at Sky tv I can confirm that at present no plans for Danish or Swedish league racing on Sky next year. There is however plans to show the Euro league meetings featuring British clubs the home legs will be live but the away matches may be recorded and shown a day or so later on.

With regards to the Gps on Sky all I can say is door still not bolted and welded shut but the catch and clasp have been put on the door, One thing I can say is if anybody does cancel through Sky the reason for cancellation and removing sport is taken very seriously and is reported on and distributed around the business so keep stating the reason as Speedway as could make a difference and make certain people realise how many subscribers are Speedway fans . In the new year this will be looked at even closer as I have stated before there are other sports that have had contracts reduced or not renewed so no more Dogs, fishing mania,equestrian events and others with reduced events include Darts,Snooker, Tennis and Pool.

So does this mean the end to the Greyhound Derby? Im sure ATR will stay, and what about the World Championships {Darts} will that stay? I would rather see the Korda Boys than fisha mania. But, with the posibillity of no GP's and eventually no EL racing, and other cutbacks,yet sky continue to increase their subscription charges year on year, without official comformation via post....

Starman2006- The World championship of Darts and most other events will continue its sone of the fringe events that will loose Sky coverage off top of my head I think it's 4 or 5 less events. ATR will continue it was not horse racing that Mentioned before its the show jumping that's been affected and 2 Snooker events

Starman2006- The World championship of Darts and most other events will continue its sone of the fringe events that will loose Sky coverage off top of my head I think it's 4 or 5 less events. ATR will continue it was not horse racing that Mentioned before its the show jumping that's been affected and 2 Snooker events

After speaking to someone involved with Fish O he said you are talking rubbish. It's scheduled for July 14/15th.

Blazeaway The Fishomania event will still be going ahead but at present it's not planned to be on Sky but like the Speedway that could change

I have just watched the Speedway review of the year on Sky (which for the record, although I seem to stand alone in this, I think is amazing and not just for Speedway), and as it finished they said "and we are looking forward to doing it in 2013 so see you then"

Make of that what you will!

Am I right in thinking that Sky are the production company for the Cardiff GP?

If so will this continue if they dont carry on with coverage?

Am I right in thinking that Sky are the production company for the Cardiff GP?

If so will this continue if they dont carry on with coverage?

I was also led to believe that this was the case - If the GPs are cancelled this year on sky I can't see this one being removed. One would imagine the ratings for this are of the highest on the speedway calendar - maybe if the GPs are not on sky, this one will be as a one off?

Its still not good enough, but its better than nothing.

SKY did handle the TV production at Cardiff - one of their largest outside broadcast operations of the year in any sport. It is the 'host' broadcasters who handle the production in each country ... Sky in the UK, TV2 in Sweden, DK4 in Denmark, Canel+ in Poland. In some countries the Polish or Danish companies are brought in to do the job.

They provide the pictures for the World feed which all the accredited broadcasters can take. Sky will also have some cameras for their exclusive use at Cardiff, just as the Poles will in Poland, the Danes in Denmark and the Swedes in Sweden.

If Sky do in fact pull out of SGP coverage in 2013, BSI/IMG will have to make alternative plans for the World feed and TV production at Cardiff but that is something IMG in particular are used to.

THEIR contract was for both the SWC and the SGP.

The Sky speedway production team almost en masse went to the SWC each year as a sort of "jolly boys' outing" and it is possible that they could cover the SWC and not the SGP in 2013.

Blazeaway The Fishomania event will still be going ahead but at present it's not planned to be on Sky but like the Speedway that could change

Yes it is going to be on SKY I've spoken to the bloke who presents it!

Anyone got any ideas as to what satellite system I need to receive the Polish channels that show speedway?