British Speedway Forum

I now tend to think it will be a long time before we see another GP in New Zealand, while I also note so far as Australia is concerned that the Motorplex in Perth is most likely a non-runner.

Going back in time, what went wrong when they staged a GP at Stadium Australia Parramatta in 2002? The only links on the event that I can find are these and they don't go into any detail about the meeting's aftermath and the consequences in regard to more GPs in Australia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speedway_Grand_Prix_of_Australia

http://www.formula-xtreme.com.au/xtremema.nsf/7a4c3b4956d795ddca256ad8001f8faf/b68c06df997249fdca256c590076056b?OpenDocument

http://www.formula-xtreme.com.au/xtremema.nsf/7a4c3b4956d795ddca256ad8001f8faf/1842f0ba5de142adca256c5f0072ab3a?OpenDocument

I believe the promoter lost shed loads of money, hence it was one time only.

I thought Parramatta was a loss maker, but I need to be careful on my comments - they seem to attract much attention. So Parramatta was as has happened to poor old Bill Buckley. How does Bill manage to afford the top American sprint car and midget car drivers each season - they don't travel or race for peanuts.

THE Olympic Stadium in Sydney, as it was known in 2002, was too big, too costly and too far out of town. It was also a bitterly cold night, unusual for that time of the year, and the GP was also shown live on TV. John Postlethwaite, then boss of BSI, had a spectacular fall out with the local organisers as well so it was no surprise that it turned out to be a one-off and never had a chance to build up the event.

The Sydney press were also more apathetic than even those in Auckland.

However, don't rule out a return to Oz next year...

So there is some optimism in regard to Australia. That is encouraging.

bill buckley is a very rich man - google him to find out more

I have read about Bill Buckley's wealth but even rich men don't throw "dollars bills in the air for fun" do they?

I'M not unsympathetic to Bill Buckley over his losses but he is certainly no fool and went into this with his eyes open. He knew it was a high risk gamble, and no one forced him into it, but it was something he wanted to do and no doubt the accountants at Bill Buckley Systems are working hard to mitigate his losses.

No one can fault the effort everyone put into it, whether from BSI or BBS, but a lack of real support from the City of Auckland didn't help.

Humphrey is right about air fares (think it was around £1,200 per ticket this time) and don't forget that EVERY rider bar Bunyan is provided with FIVE and three top class hotel rooms for the duration of their stay.

Each rider also had a specially designed and manufactured metal container in which they each sent two bikes, spare engines and the rest of their equipment (tools, etc)... so the cost of freight was pretty substantial as well. It will all be back at the freight depot in Amsterdam by the time by the riders land at Heathrow tomorrow morning.

Edited by PHILIPRISING

Did not see the Grand Prix live,just watched a recording.

That Final - wow - Well done Smolinski - WHAT A RIDE.

Well done to Martin, used his head and got a very good win. Pretty poor gp and racing with bad camera action but i expect down to distance.

Meeting came alive in last few heats and semi and final. Cracking end to meeting and worth getting up early for :D

Nice to see Harris bring a bit of concisantancy to the gp 00000 :rofl: Looks like he has never been away :D

On to bignosh and the return of a great sponsor :wink:

• Like 1

Watched the NZ GP for the first time on the stream rather then being there live (sadly). The racing came through realy well, and Smoli was awesome, although I'm not a big fan of the German haha. This is huge for German speedway, and hope for him that his form continues. With two big One Sport meetings in Germany as well this can only be good fur unsere Deutsche speedway freunden :)

Did miss Emil in the GP's though, but was good to see him in Gorzow yesterday racking up 3 heat wins for Torun haha :)

• Like 1

Well done to Martin, used his head and got a very good win. Pretty poor gp and racing with bad camera action but i expect down to distance.

Meeting came alive in last few heats and semi and final. Cracking end to meeting and worth getting up early for :D

Nice to see Harris bring a bit of concisantancy to the gp 00000 :rofl: Looks like he has never been away :D

On to bignosh and the return of a great sponsor :wink:

Didn`t realise Doodson were sponsoring it :lol:

• Like 1

Phil - do the FIM offcials pay their own way, or are they paid for too by BSI or Bill B?

THE FIM pay ... but they are on a tight budget. When Tony Steele was the ref in Sydney he only had a hotel allowance for TWO days!

Bit better now but they would have paid (Fares, accommodation, meals, local transport, etc) for Armando Castagna, Tony Olsson, Jim Lawrence and Mike Posslethwaite (SGP secretary who went instead of Graham Brodie).

Have you forgotten is injuries from Leicester just over a week before?

The medical advice was not to go to New Zealand!

Niamh

Poor old Gustix is going to get annoyed-fair play to him he has apologised about 6 times now for that post .

Gustix has already apologised repeatedly for being the only speedway fan onbthe planet unaware of that fact. If he were Canadian he could also apokogise for bryan adams but im not sure what else he csn do.

Sayfutdinov and Gollob sorely missed...

Great effort by Smolinski - thought he could have shown a little more compassion and apologised for putting Ward in hospital....

Poor old Gustix is going to get annoyed-fair play to him he has apologised about 6 times now for that post .

Gustix has already apologised repeatedly for being the only speedway fan onbthe planet unaware of that fact. If he were Canadian he could also apokogise for bryan adams but im not sure what else he csn do.

Is it correct that England speedway captain Jack Parker broke an arm when he crashed Frank 'Satan' Brewer's midget car at Sydney Royale? It's farly recent - I think in the last 60 years - but the fact has only just been brought to my attention. :oops:

Edited by Guest

Harris ought to do the decent thing and quit the GPS', he is not doing himself any favours, and he is making British Speedway a laughing stock.

He is a good league rider, and can give s lot of decent advice to up and coming riders, but please, stop embarrassing yourself on the world's stage.

You haven't got it anymore.

• Like 3