British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Hunty

Asset System Flawed

Yes it is unfair, although I can understand why Peterborough want to try to make some money out of the daft system. However, Peterborough have had several years of use out of him and allegedly didn't pay on occasions in the past, so unless he's under contract, why shouldn't be able to sign for who he pleases?

If Darren Bent wanted to leave Aston Villa this January, would Villa be unfair asking for a transfer fee?

A little simplistic an answer. Sure some overseas riders become assets through default.

However, tell that to Poole. They paid over £28,000 to sign Darcy Ward. How much money have Bees spent on Schlein, Kennett, Harris, Nicholls? A little more than nothing!

Yes, but they wouldn't have had to pay anything if there wasn't a transfer system in place.

I actually do support the notion of compensation for promotions who genuinely develop and nuture riders. However, I certainly don't think promotions who sign overseas riders should expect anything (with the possible exception of riders on 'apprentice'-type schemes), and neither do I think promotions should expect transfer/loan fees for riders who've been doing the rounds for years.

If Darren Bent wanted to leave Aston Villa this January, would Villa be unfair asking for a transfer fee?

If Darren Bent is still under contract this January, then it's not unreasonable to ask for compensation. If he's a free agent, then unlike speedway he can freely go where he likes, which is why football clubs tend to sell players before they're out-of-contract.

So all speedway promotions need do now is sign riders up on long term contracts instead.

I have posted elsewhere that that would be a better idea. Unfortunately, too many clubs have invested significantly in the current system.

I can't get around thinking though that the current system is more than workable providing it is managed consistently and respected by all parties.

There are more than enough riders to go round. Sure some less asset-rich clubs may be at a disadvantage in terms of team building, but the simple answer to that is to build up your asset base over time. And if you can't afford to purchase 'X' rider then you have to look elsewhere and wait until riders become available.

I absolutely think there is merit in the suggestion that a phased change in the way rider registrations/contracts (call them what you will) are handled in speedway should be implemented. However, in the mean time, I think promotions should respect the system as it stands at the moment and the BSPA should administer the system consistently.

Edited by G the Bee
  • Like 1

So all speedway promotions need do now is sign riders up on long term contracts instead.

Where's the money going to come from to do that? I'd doubt that riders would want to sign to long-term contracts without any financial guarantees.

Sure some less asset-rich clubs may be at a disadvantage in terms of team building, but the simple answer to that is to build up your asset base over time.

That's the problem though, isn't it? How many promotions develop juniors or bring in raw riders to polish their talents? They just try to find some ready-made foreign rider to sign on a conveniently low assessed average, and then claim rights over them for time immemorial.

I wouldn't disagree that the current implementation of the asset system doesn't really prevent riders from going where they want in practice, but it's become a largely pointless exercise in an era when so few promotions are actually willing to pay transfer fees. Loan and transfer fees are just an unnecessary additional expense.

Of course not ... it is not the same thing at all.

How is it not? I can race for a club in Sweden, Poland, Denmark, Germany, Cz Republic and the UK. So 6 teams, so why can't I ride for 6 teams in the UK? It's restraint I tell you.

Actually, it's not restraint, in the same way anyone earning a living in a foreign league is not being prevented from earning a living because they are owned by a club who are asking for a transfer fee.

How is it not? I can race for a club in Sweden, Poland, Denmark, Germany, Cz Republic and the UK. So 6 teams, so why can't I ride for 6 teams in the UK? It's restraint I tell you.

Actually, it's not restraint, in the same way anyone earning a living in a foreign league is not being prevented from earning a living because they are owned by a club who are asking for a transfer fee.

But they are not owned ... that is the point.

Yes...coz he isn't very good. :P

that's because Darren Bent is an employee of Aston Villa. Batchelor and Andersen are self employed and hire themselves out to the highest(or best offer).

Isn't it the rider's registration/license/permit to ride speedway in this country that's actually held by his parent club rather than the rider himself?

So no, the rider isn't 'owned' by anyone. He's perfectly entitled to get a job in Aldi if he so wishes.

A rider not under contract to a said team is perfectly entitled to move to whatever team that wishes to employ him.

Anyone trying to stop him would get buried in the courts.

While we're at it can we abolish the points limit and let every rider double up. Also everyone should be allowed an r/r wherever it is used in the team as they are denying extra points money! I could go on.

Most sports have rules and regulations which appear to be illegal if they were to be challenged but it's accepted that these are adhered to by the said organisations.

• Like 2

So no, the rider isn't 'owned' by anyone. He's perfectly entitled to get a job in Aldi if he so wishes.

If you have a particular trade though, then it is a form of ownership if a body is restricting where and when you can ply that trade

Since riders are self employed and not paid a year round salary or retainer it is difficult to see how the asset system can possibly stand up legally.

For me the biggest problem with the system is that British youngsters cost clubs money in loans fees so are either not given the opportunities or only given a very short time to achieve their average when they step up a league. An untried foreign rider could be bought in for similar money but will become a club asset and therefore is worth giving a long run in the hope he will come good as he would then be financially beneficial to the club.

I can see how the asset system can benefit the clubs but it is a nonsense that youngsters can become assets of a club they have never ridden for and who have done nothing for them training wise.

Seeing as he cost the club £18/24 million then I'd say that they'd be wise to ask for a transfer fee, yes.

is there registration owned by a club or the bspa ??? Edited by hans fan