British Speedway Forum
michaelcroucher

Speedway On Eurosport

. Tatum. How can you say TaTTum?

Who in the world has ever been called that?

the stoke promotor dave tattum?
  • Like 1

the stoke promotor dave tattum?

Yes, well done.

But it is spelt differently, so it's pronounced differently.

Sort of like Dean and Deanne

The funny thing is that it was so simple.

Why hadn't the guy just been listening to how the names were said in the previous segment by Nigel and kelvin.

How did he manage to summarise each heat WITHOUT noticing the pronunciation.

or did he think he knew better?

or is he a bit subnormal?

I'd suggest he either prepared his pieces himself by just watching the video feed without the sound or was just reading out a script written for him without him having watched anything. Either way the chances are he simply wasn't listening to the commentary. That's excusable during the bustle of live TV but he should have prepared at the very least by watching the previous GP. It does suggest Eurosport's budget for their own audio contribution to the programme is extremely low. It is inexcusable.

I'd suggest he either prepared his pieces himself by just watching the video feed without the sound or was just reading out a script written for him without him having watched anything. Either way the chances are he simply wasn't listening to the commentary. That's excusable during the bustle of live TV but he should have prepared at the very least by watching the previous GP. It does suggest Eurosport's budget for their own audio contribution to the programme is extremely low. It is inexcusable.

Not listening to the commentary could explains things.

But why would someone to choose to do that?

But I think I remember him making reference to a couple of things that Nigel and Kelvin had actually said during comms at a couple of points.

So perhaps not.

Not listening to the commentary could explains things.

But why would someone to choose to do that?

But I think I remember him making reference to a couple of things that Nigel and Kelvin had actually said during comms at a couple of points.

So perhaps not.

It was probably my second suggestion - the script was written for him, not by him.

As for not hearing sound, I don't know if it's changed these days but on the odd occasion I would have to do such kind of work you would be playing with the tape, forwards and backwards, freezing and running slow-mo so having the audio running wasn't exactly an option.

Ultimately who knows. I'm just offering possibilities based on my own experience, but it was all a long time ago. Just remember that in TV work it's not always as straightforward as you think and I expect the presenter/voice-over artist isn't just sitting there taking notes off the broadcast feed and watching it like a viewer.

I once presented a series of training videos for the then British Rail which covered Automatic Train Protection, then being installed on the lines out of London Paddington. I was mildly warned-off going to Paddington in case crews thought I actually knew what I was talking about. I did check the scripts I was given for pronunciations though....

One small point though, the pronunciations used by the commentators don't always coincide with the actuals - as you can check for yourselves when you get those irritating graphics where the riders say their names, such as Pe-aydersen, or Zaggar rather than Zaygar. Ultimately as long as someone knows what you mean it's okay but just to give in and not even read the names is poor, putting it politely.. (after three rewrites as well).

Thanks for all that extra insight.

One could be forgiven for expecting all the commentators to have have made some effort to try and pronounce a name the way the person themselves says it.

Or at least to change their version as soon as they find out they have been doing wrong in the past.

But sometimes you can just expect too much.

But in the current case it is more about continuity and consistency.

Eurosport, themselves, are well versed in the job of putting a continuity voice over the joins in the commentary provided down the line.

One would have thought their methodology would be 'lets say things the same way as the commentary people'

Their experience in the business should have already let them know how jarring it is to have bizarre, conflicting, variations used.

Edited by Grand Central

To be fair,how often have we had two commentators sitting next to each other that have pronounced someones name in two different ways?I am thinking back to football and Mick Channon or Ron Atkinson,who often done it

To be fair,how often have we had two commentators sitting next to each other that have pronounced someones name in two different ways?I am thinking back to football and Mick Channon or Ron Atkinson,who often done it

Undeniably true for the two gentleman you have picked.

But their linguistic abilities are rarely quoted as reference points.

linguistics abilities do differ....Sky last week and Rosco continually refering to the scottish ones as Monaaaarrrrcks.... :o

Apparently eurosport are in negotiations with havelock or ermolenko to do the fill in commentary with subtitles.

• Like 1

Great coverage again from eurosport apart from the after ads bloke but hey a minor gripe.

Run that by me again. Great coverage from Eurosport apart from 100% of Eurosport input which wasn't great!!!!!!!

Which part of Eurosport coverage was "great" then ?

Edited by Oldace

Ok if eurosports only input is the baldrick after ads bloke then its bloody awful BUT as its on eurosport and thank the lord for that that's worth 10/10. Well done world feed,bsi,havelock,phil bass ,henny kroeze or whoever is putting on the show its great.

Gary Neville is a major culprit of that. Especially as occasionally during a match he will go with what his co-host is saying only to return to his own 99% of the time wrong version.

Channon's pronounciation of Gary Line-acre....I mean someone in the studio must have had a word and said "come on Mick all the folks at home,your co-commentators,Mrs Lineker,Jose Gonzalez the spanish tv commentator,Mario Baldinio the Italian tv commentator,Garys mum + dad and uncle tom cobbly and all say Lineker!!!Why do you insist on pronouncing it different to the rest of the world mate?"or something along those lines.Or did they not bother,i wonder?