British Speedway Forum
dukes

Halifax Dukes

I was, Started going in about 76 and have happy memories of the late great Chris Pusey. There is also 1 other Halifax fan on the list that I know off.

Chris

I was at the Shay on Tuesday night (Halifax v Staines FA Trophy) and I couldn't believe how much the ground had changed.

Part of the original grass banking is still visible in the corners, but that's about it! :cry:

Me!!!!

From August 1981 until the relocation to Bradford

Halifax was before my time i'm afraid, but I started going to Bradford in 1988 and went to every meeting until it closed.

Have to make do with getting my speedway fix at Sheffield and Belle Vue now!

I still see a few Bradford faces at some tracks when i'm on my travels though!

Edited by Spy

I first went to Speedway at Halifax. That was in the era of Eric Boocock, Greg Kentwell, Alan Jay, and my favourite Dave Younghusband. I followed the Dukes for four years until education and work took me to Lancashire! The big meeting was 'The Dews Trophy'. I always remember the end of season meeting, with fireworks, speeches, Mechanics race, and the deby meetings with Sheffield and Belle Vue. I stood at the top of the third and fourth bend under the little cover that was there. Super memories.

I wasn't a Dukes fan but i enjoyed my visits to the Shay enormously.

The track was so different to anything else.

I'll always remember bank holiday Mondays at Halifax (Cradley were usually soundly beaten).

Halifax v Cradley in the morning, followed by the Interrnational at Wimbledon that night.

A good club house there too, and what was the name of the pub down the hill from the Shay on the right hand side of the road? I remember a Cradley supporters club coach had got to the Shay early one Sunday and someone had arranged an early opener there.

Depending on which way you arrived at the Shay, it could be the Shay Hotel, Shears or even the 3 Pidgeons.

Personally I was at the Shay from 1965 till it closed its doors on speedway and I was lost to the sport for a time.

I remember the likes of Boothroyd,Boocock,Roper,Elliot,Kentwell all the way down the years through the Pusey, Lohmann brothers and That man who should have been World Champ. Yes Kenny Carter.

Remember the mechanics race with Arthur Forrest every year and that enigma of an announcer Mr.Adams-=. He was Great.

The crowds,the atmosphere,everything their was great......................................

Memories?

I visited Halifax quite a few times as a Sheffield fan, some are fond memories with us winning, some not so good as when we lost.

I remember the actual ground being a bit odf a dump, but the track raced quite well, with its long straights and tight banked bends.

I loved the visits to Halifax back in the 80's and as mentioned the clubhouse would always be open and welcoming.

As a regular watcher of rugby league im also amazed at how the Shay has changed

And yes for the record i still miss king Kenny

There is also 1 other Halifax fan on the list that I know off.

Chris

I am the other Halifax fan that Wings mentioned

Started goin in 1974 as Boocock was riding his last season.

Moved on with the Dukes to Bradford in 86.

Now a regular at Stoke & BV with occasional trips to Sheff.

The Shay had a fantastic track. Stadium was a bit of a dump - but no worse than a lot of other stadiums, even some of the current ones!

Still live just 5 mins walk from the ground. I also was at the Halifax vs Staines FA Trophy match last Tuesday.

The Shay pub has seen better days. The 3 Pigeons is still goin strong & The Shears is a nice pub which serves good food these days.

The Shay had a fantastic track. Stadium was a bit of a dump - but no worse than a lot of other stadiums, even some of the current ones!

My cousin always reckoned a bomb had dropped there and they decided to build a speedway out of it. Actually, I always enjoyed my trips to the Shay. It also softened me up before becoming a County Ground regular! :oops:

I started to go to Halifax in the mid 60's, the only time I was disappointed was when the swan appeared. Charlie Monk had us in stitches one night when he won his race, he stopped on the back straight, jumped over the gate to the changing rooms! ...... due to a nature call... It was his fastest time of the night. ;O)))

Regards.

PS.

I was going to post the story, of my first time (:o(.... I seen the SWAN!....PMSL whilst writing it, reliving the memories of that time! Speedway was Speedway back then, now you need 10 bikes, ride for 4 teams, live in 3 countries, have your motors tuned in Germany or Italy, and not hold a British passport! thats what our Speedway riders need to be stars today! (:o)) Halifax always had an Aussie in the team ;O) as well as the Best of British.

Halifax was a must trip for us Diamonds fans in the sixties being fairly

close and racing on a Saturday. I still think that apart from Belle Vue,

racing at the Shay was the best. One complaint - no bar, but a table

selling bottles. Being from Newcastle, one night we decided to try a bottle

of brown ale. Not quite the same thing! This was the most horrible drink I

have ever tasted. We did finish it though, gritted teeth and pinched nose :(

My son is seanisnumber1, but I used to go to the Shay.

I went from 1965 until 1984 when it closed.

I did not go to speedway for a few years, but now go to Sheffield most weeks with my son.

The pub referred to was the Shay Hotel.

Does anyone remember or go to the Prospect Inn at Boothtown aftre the meeting when riders and fans used to have a drink together.

The swan that is referred to was on the body jacket I think. But it was not a swan but an elephants head rather than the full elephant.

I still have my enamel badge with year bars for all the years.

My favourite was Ian Cartwright and I still see him around at Sheffield and Hull with his son Simon.

I think that speedway was better in the 60's & 70's possibly due to the bikes being slower then. The Shay was certainly the best track I have been to with its banked corners.

Does anyone remember Henny Kroeze who scored a 21 point maximum, and that was in the 13 heat format.

It takes you back.........