British Speedway Forum
Mad Potter 2

National/premier League Riders Nationality.

What happens when these British lads move into the PL/EL and they suddenly start racing riders from around the world?

As much as I am all for developing British lads, surely there is only so much wrapping them up in cotton wool you can do?

What happens when these British lads move into the PL/EL and they suddenly start racing riders from around the world?

As much as I am all for developing British lads, surely there is only so much wrapping them up in cotton wool you can do?

They don't move up without guest spots and doubling up, so nothing is sudden.

They will move up knowing that they have done their Training in the National League to Race against Speedway Riders from foreign Lands who have done their Training in THEIR homeland and not on our Tracks. Apart from anything else, that would give them a positive advantage. Why should WE be training Foreigners to ultimately take Team places from British lads - it doesn't make sense. :angry:

British Tracks training Foreigners to beat us out of sight doesn't help British Speedway either. :rolleyes:

• Like 3

I am neither for or against, but are we saying we are going to create this artificial environment for British riders in case the Foreign riders get too good?

Its a bit xenophobic?

I am neither for or against, but are we saying we are going to create this artificial environment for British riders in case the Foreign riders get too good?

Its a bit xenophobic?

Not at all - it is sensible. We NEED British Speedway to get back to the top of the pile - we will not do this by giving facilities to Foreign Riders, in some cases (not all) not as good the British Riders who are being forced out.

For some reason Promoters seem to think 'Foreign is BEST'. I have news for them sometimes they are right - but - more often they are WRONG.

• Like 1

Not at all - it is sensible. We NEED British Speedway to get back to the top of the pile - we will not do this by giving facilities to Foreign Riders, in some cases (not all) not as good the British Riders who are being forced out.

For some reason Promoters seem to think 'Foreign is BEST'. I have news for them sometimes they are right - but - more often they are WRONG.

Ok, I appreciate where your coming from but I refer to my original question.

We create an artificial "world" where British lads only race British lads, they then go out to the big world and race Australians, Swedes, Danes, Poles and Americans who may already be of a higher standard meaning the artificial "world" has been a waste of time.

I think people are getting confused between development and track time, two completely different agendas....

So stefan Nielsen shouldn't be allowed to ride in the national league then as he has danish father.

• Like 1

Ok, I appreciate where your coming from but I refer to my original question.

We create an artificial "world" where British lads only race British lads, they then go out to the big world and race Australians, Swedes, Danes, Poles and Americans who may already be of a higher standard meaning the artificial "world" has been a waste of time.

I think people are getting confused between development and track time, two completely different agendas....

No - not artificial at all. They do their training at National League level against the odd 'older' Rider (with which I have no problem) and then progress to the Premier/Elite League IF they are good enough. To give foreigners the chance to become better through our Training structure to me seems stupid. If we wish British Speedway to prosper, and I assume we all want that, then priority MUST be given to British Riders.

At the end of the day a Speedway Rider is a Speedway Rider be he foreign or British. You can only Race what is alongside you at the Tapes.

So stefan Nielsen shouldn't be allowed to ride in the national league then as he has danish father.

Who will he ride for at International level.

TeamGB no problem.

Denmark - then NO he should NOT be allowed in our National League.

The clue is in the name.

• Like 1

No - not artificial at all. They do their training at National League level against the odd 'older' Rider (with which I have no problem) and then progress to the Premier/Elite League IF they are good enough. To give foreigners the chance to become better through our Training structure to me seems stupid. If we wish British Speedway to prosper, and I assume we all want that, then priority MUST be given to British Riders.

At the end of the day a Speedway Rider is a Speedway Rider be he foreign or British. You can only Race what is alongside you at the Tapes.

Seems a bit of a contradiction to me, if the National League is just a training structure then why are folk paying £10 to £12 a time to watch?

And you say a speedway rider is a speedway rider regardless of nationality, so what you mean is, the British lads need track time?

For me, to be the best you've got to beat the best, its like putting an adult in the 100m against a bunch of five year olds.

#ambition

TeamGB no problem.

The clue is in the name.

Totally agree with you White Knight. If they want to ride in the National League or on a reduced average in the Premier League, they should remain as a GB National.

• Like 1

Seems a bit of a contradiction to me, if the National League is just a training structure then why are folk paying £10 to £12 a time to watch?

And you say a speedway rider is a speedway rider regardless of nationality, so what you mean is, the British lads need track time?

For me, to be the best you've got to beat the best, its like putting an adult in the 100m against a bunch of five year olds.

#ambition

After I Posted and the re-read my Post I thought you might come back to me on that. :)

It isn't a contradiction because the National League IS a recognised League even though it is basically for producing and Training, and yes, giving Track time to young British Riders - or that is the way it should be.

As for paying to watch, my argument that the National League IS a recognised League answers that question. You want to watch League Speedway you have to pay for it.

• Like 2

#ambition

Apart from those you can count on one hand, how many British riders get the chance to learn abroad or even make a living abroad? It's pretty much a one way street. As far as I'm concerned, international or foreign riders should be in the top division or nothing, we now have a situation where some PL clubs have five or six overseas riders, while some Brits struggle to find a place or move up from the NL......no wonder the public have lost interest.
  • Like 3

Apart from those you can count on one hand, how many British riders get the chance to learn abroad or even make a living abroad? It's pretty much a one way street. As far as I'm concerned, international or foreign riders should be in the top division or nothing, we now have a situation where some PL clubs have five or six overseas riders, while some Brits struggle to find a place or move up from the NL......no wonder the public have lost interest.

You may as well scrap the PL if no foreign riders are allowed to ride in it.

TeamGB no problem.

The clue is in the name.

He's already committed himself to GB.

As is evident by his riding in NL & British Under-21 meetings.

He's already committed himself to GB.

As is evident by his riding in NL & British Under-21 meetings.

Thank you MrMungo - then I have no problem with him in the National League.

• Like 2