British Speedway Forum
Parsloes 1928 nearly

Rain Offs - Unlucky Year '13!

Oh God - it's only March 22nd and yet there's ALREADY been rain-offs at Coventry, Leicester, Peterborough, Swindon, Lakeside & Plymouth. Or put another way, 50% of all meetings so far planned to have been held....

Bearing in mind that 2012 was the worst in the sport's history for rain offs and that it's barely stopped persisting down nationally since this season began, I wonder how populated this thread is going to be as we go through the unlucky year '13..!

Could be flooded with contributions I fear..!

Next Friday i would think is a crucial day in the wellbeing of a lot of clubs-at the moment the forecast is good-dry but still fairly cold.There should be big attendances throughout the country.

How often does it rain in Slough and will the rain-off be on Eurosport? :unsure:

• Like 1

Well, make that Coventry twice now and add King's Lynn to the list. That's now eight meetings (out of a planned 14) which have been called off due to the weather and we're only 15 days into the new season... :cry:

I know people will say, ah, well it can rain anytime - and indeed it can and does.. - but I personally think March is too early to try and start the season. Though, of course, I take the point about the importance of the Easter weekend... For which we really now need to be praying for drier and who knows even perhaps, warmer weather!

• Like 1

Well, make that Coventry twice now and add King's Lynn to the list. That's now eight meetings (out of a planned 14) which have been called off due to the weather and we're only 15 days into the new season... :cry:

I know people will say, ah, well it can rain anytime - and indeed it can and does.. - but I personally think March is too early to try and start the season. Though, of course, I take the point about the importance of the Easter weekend... For which we really now need to be praying for drier and who knows even perhaps, warmer weather!

I agree, I always thought middle of April is soon enough to start but, as you say, Easter was a big money spinner.

I agree, I always thought middle of April is soon enough to start but, as you say, Easter was a big money spinner.

Last year March was the best month we ha for speedway,year ago today was 20 degrees ish

all went down him last year from easter weekend onwards

• Like 1

Exactly. Nobody was moaning March is too early this time last year. We live in a country with a maritime climate. That means lots of wet days throughout the year and very changeable weather.

Many parts of the country have had below average precipitation in the first 20 days of March this year. (Philip Eden's climateuk website has the stats)

The nearest Met Office weather station to me is in Penkridge, Staffs. My patch of the country is pretty much in the middle of where the EWP (England & Wales precipitation) stats are collated so this site is good one to use to get an overall snapshot of the average conditions in England and Wales. Official stats on the Met Office website show that March is marginally the driest month of the speedway season. There are a couple of months with similar totals but June, August, September and October are by far wetter than March. It's true to say that although wetter it will dry out quicker in June and August but not really in September and October. In fact we'd be better off starting earlier as February is the driest month in this country, and far drier than the wetter months I've stated. (Met Office climate stats used from its website)

Exactly. Nobody was moaning March is too early this time last year. We live in a country with a maritime climate. That means lots of wet days throughout the year and very changeable weather.

Many parts of the country have had below average precipitation in the first 20 days of March this year. (Philip Eden's climateuk website has the stats)

The nearest Met Office weather station to me is in Penkridge, Staffs. My patch of the country is pretty much in the middle of where the EWP (England & Wales precipitation) stats are collated so this site is good one to use to get an overall snapshot of the average conditions in England and Wales. Official stats on the Met Office website show that March is marginally the driest month of the speedway season. There are a couple of months with similar totals but June, August, September and October are by far wetter than March. It's true to say that although wetter it will dry out quicker in June and August but not really in September and October. In fact we'd be better off starting earlier as February is the driest month in this country, and far drier than the wetter months I've stated. (Met Office climate stats used from its website)

Drier in February, maybe.

But you wouldn't get me out of the warmth to go freeze my wotsits off at Speedway, just because the track was usable.

I am still hoping to go to Newcastle on Sunday for the Practice. :unsure:

Just have to wait and see - - I suppose. :unsure:

Never really too sure what point your meteorological essays are trying to make?

They always seem to me, that you're trying to fly in the face of what all of us normal citizens unaffected by this propoganda are seeing and experiencing... i.e. that it's bloody awful out there!!!

• Like 1

Never really too sure what point your meteorological essays are trying to make?

They always seem to me, that you're trying to fly in the face of what all of us normal citizens unaffected by this propoganda are seeing and experiencing... i.e. that it's bloody awful out there!!!

His point is that in the UK it is always either raining or cold and you'll have complains whenever you try to run. But at least when its cold you can still have speedway, when it rains you can't

His point is that in the UK it is always either raining or cold and you'll have complains whenever you try to run. But at least when its cold you can still have speedway, when it rains you can't

Well that's NOT the case - on either front (if you pardon the weather pun!)...

We all have lived on this particular 'scepter'd isle' on this earth long enough to know that the near-Arctic conditions out there across the UK on a date that reads 24 March is NOT a common or normal occurence.

And it's also very obvious that if you were a Speedway promoter you could NOT be rubbing your gloved hands in glee in thanks that it was dry, if you putting on a meeting in these temperatures. Because, put simply, crowd levels in this weather are going to be bloody awful...

Anyone attending as a spectator, outside sports in weather like today will only do so reluctantly.

At our country's top sports venues (the likes of Old Trafford, the Emirates, Twickenham) the stadia themselves offer reasonable mitigation against the worst conditions; also in those places, you'll only be going if you've shelled out big bucks a couple of months or so ago for a ticket in advance, so frankly you've GOT to go...

Given a choice (like say at non-league or lower league games in football..) many hundreds will be voting with their (frozen) feet and NOT attending that's for sure.

Speedway is also not a sport which lends itself to watching in the freezing cold, as the gaps between action are exaggerated by the cold - at least in football, rugby etc. the play (and you hope, action) carries on throughout the period of the match. Stop and start is fine in good weather but causes extreme grumpiness in the cold! The bikes aren't over keen on sub-zero temperatures either!!

• Like 1

You can add Eastbourne v Belle Vue to your schedule , but it should not have been. I am 5 miles from the track , we had no rain from Monday to Thursday and the Met forecast was heavy rain most of Friday and going through the night until Mid Morning Saturday. Fridays Deluge did not appear and when we had a shower at 4.30 I emptied the rain gauge out ready to see how much we would have overnight. After a couple of 20 minute showers it cleared up and at 4.00 the next morning I looked out and everywhere was dry . At 7.00 it was raining intermitently but not heavily until about 9.30 and then stopped. I checked the gauge and it was just under half an inch. I thought that if it did not rain again the meeting was certain to go on as Arlington drains very well and the amount was small anyway. However the Met Office still had it down for rain and made it worse by extending rain into the evening forecast. I then heard the meeting was postponed. Now some 30 hours later we still have not had one splash of rain. I dont blame the management they had to make an early decision or be criticised again by the usual suspects for making fans & riders travel if it had rained heavily but the Met Office let us down, I think it would have been a good meeting to start the season off

Edited by Hunters

.... However the Met Office still had it down for rain and made it worse by extending rain into the evening forecast. I then heard the meeting was postponed. Now some 30 hours later we still have not had one splash of rain. I dont blame the management they had to make an early decision or be criticised again by the usual suspects for making fans & riders travel if it had rained heavily but the Met Office let us down,

Those words can and will be repeated time & time again...

It's probably only us Speedway fans who check on the MO's forecasts in detail during the season, who realise how incredibly often they get it wrong...

Can't envy any Speedway promoter, though, trying to second guess the likeihood of what are made out to scientific 'forecasts' just beng so patently and woefully inaccurate, so much of the time...

• Like 2