British Speedway Forum
PhilK

Mildenhall V Dudley - National Shield 1st Leg - Sunday 7th April

Well it’s almost here, the start of the 2013 NL season.

The Grand Slam winners face the team that provided so many great on track battles in 2012.

Mildenhall – Stefan Nielsen, Jon Armstrong, Josh Bates, Danny Halsey, Aaron Baseby, Nathan Stoneman and Liam Rumsey

Dudley – Lewis Blackbird, Ashley Morris, Gareth Isherwood, Paul Starke, Dan Greenwood, Max Clegg and Nathan Greaves

Although I can’t see it being a two horse race like it was last season, these two sides should both feature at the business end of the season.

There will be performances from local band ‘Wing-It’ before and after the meeting, so get down to West Row for great racing, fish n’ chips AND music on Sunday 7th April.

• Like 1

Well it’s almost here, the start of the 2013 NL season.

The Grand Slam winners face the team that provided so many great on track battles in 2012.

Mildenhall – Stefan Nielsen, Jon Armstrong, Josh Bates, Danny Halsey, Aaron Baseby, Nathan Stoneman and Liam Rumsey

Dudley – Lewis Blackbird, Ashley Morris, Gareth Isherwood, Paul Starke, Dan Greenwood, Max Clegg and Nathan Greaves

Although I can’t see it being a two horse race like it was last season, these two sides should both feature at the business end of the season.

There will be performances from local band ‘Wing-It’ before and after the meeting, so get down to West Row for great racing, fish n’ chips AND music on Sunday 7th April.

Almost correct Phil :wink: we did manage to beat you in The National Shield, so Mildenhall were almost Grand Slam winners.

You can have that one greyhoundp :wink: . Hope that plenty of Dudley supporters will be heading down to West Row on Sunday. Looking forward to the return of Lewis Blackbird who has made a flying start to the season. Should be a close meeting for sure.

Since the National Shield is only open to two teams it can not form part of any Grand Slam. Mildenhall won every open competition in 2012. A grand Slam in any ones book.

Edited by Proud Potter
  • Like 2

Since the National Shield is only open to two teams it can not form part of any Grand Slam. Mildenhall won every open competition in 2012. A grand Slam in any ones book.

Malcolm. it is still a very sore point with a lot of Heathens fans, i doubt any would agree with you on this one, but as we are only a small minority of British Speedway fans, then i guess as a democracy we should concede. Im pretty sure the usual number of Heathens fans will converge on Mildenhall this sunday, weather permitting, and it should be a very close encounter.

Malcolm. it is still a very sore point with a lot of Heathens fans, i doubt any would agree with you on this one, but as we are only a small minority of British Speedway fans, then i guess as a democracy we should concede. Im pretty sure the usual number of Heathens fans will converge on Mildenhall this sunday, weather permitting, and it should be a very close encounter.

Agree with what. Mildenhall won the lot.

• Like 1

I thought it was tennis that had Slam's not speedway. Anywho... could be a cracking meeting. There's not much to choose between the teams again this season. It could come down to which team's managed to blow away the cobwebs the quicker. I would suggest home win and then it's over to us to see whether all our new boys can hit the ground running at their new home. Good racing and everyone going home in one piece first and foremost, but I'll take the win if it's on offer. :lol:

• Like 1

I must admit I am still mystified as to how Dudley got into the National Shield in 2012 (if it was and is a competition on the lines of the Elite Shield).

Scunthorpe had won the league the previous season, Mildenhall the KO cup. Dudley didn't even get into the play offs.

Surely Scunthorpe or Stoke (who actually topped the NL table in 2011) would have been more deserving opponents for the Fen Tigers ?

Edited by Halifaxtiger

General opinion last year was that we competed for it as the holders.

I must admit I thought it would be between the previous seasons league and KO Cup winners (or runners up given Mildenhall's success last season). That's certainly how the EL & PL ones work.

If it is was the case that Dudley were chosen because they were the holders, that begs the question as to how Mildenhall were the opponents given that Scunthorpe had won the league.

Edited by Halifaxtiger

I must admit I thought it would be between the previous seasons league and KO Cup winners (or runners up given Mildenhall's success last season). That's certainly how the EL & PL ones work.

If it is was the case that Dudley were chosen because they were the holders, that begs the question as to how Mildenhall were the opponents given that Scunthorpe had won the league.

I'd have thought you'd have realised by now Halifax that the NL works on it's own rules, completely regardless of the EL & PL on many an occasion!

• Like 1

Perhaps we won a coin toss and Mildenhall were drawn out of a hat? (only half joking) :lol: Anyway, it's in the past now so let's just crack on with this season. :)

• Like 1

Or maybe, perhaps, as Mildenhall won the KO cup but couldn't face Scunthorpe as they unfortunately don't have a team entered this season, that they chose to use the current shield holders instead.

none the less, good luck to both teams.

Might just have to pop to west row one sunday as i haven't been for a few years, but unfortunately, not about for this one.

Edited by tcoz88