British Speedway Forum
Stephen7

Sky's Additions To It's Speedway Coverage.

I always enjoy Sky's coverage of sport in general, including Speedway.

I have to say that I like the improvements brought in this season.

I appreciate 'Inside Track' may be old hat to experience speedway fans, but I think it is very interesting for those of us not as familiar with the in's and out's of riding.

What I especially enjoyed however was the 'Around The Grounds' coverage.

At first I was hoping they had a full camera crew at another event, to cover it if their advertised match was called off, but unfortunately that did not seem to be the case. They did however have at least one camera man at each of the other matches and gave us regular updates and brief interviews with riders or managers, which nicely filled up the time between the longer gaps between races.

• Like 6

Yes I agree, useful additions, looked a bit forced last week but better this week (Sam apart! :wink: ) around the grounds was 2 or 3 races behind the updates site but I guess they just fitted in recorded bits into the gaps. Overall I do like the changes though :t:

Yep to be fair getting the updates from the other tracks is a great bonus, and I think with a little work could be really good feature, at the moment it is pretty much them just stating the scores. Not sure Ryan or Sam are ready for those roles yet.

Chris is always very good at giving insight, and I think his technical bit with the TV and his hand held device is pretty good, when looking at lines. The same with Rosco tonight advising one of his riders to keep his body forward on the bike to give more control when it bucks up, this sort of technical input actually adds to the interest. Good example there of why you need a manager, or at least assistant manager that is a former rider to help the riders out.

I like the updates, but why interview the riders when they could point the camera at the racing.

I like the updates, but why interview the riders when they could point the camera at the racing.

£££££££ :)

£££££££ :)

I assume so yep, I guess it's why Soccer Saturday points the camera to the pitchside reporter, rather than the field because of contractual reasons for showing the action.

The new additions are excellent and much better than endless interviews with riders saying the same thing week in week out.

Chris Louis does a good job with the Inside Track feature and the snippets from the other tracks is a very welcome addition.

• Like 1

it's only because they have no GP filler to use anymore

• Like 1

it's only because they have no GP filler to use anymore

Thank goodness for that!!!!

• Like 2

Thank goodness for that!!!!

Indeed, you dont want the general public seeing some of the best racing in the world in modern stadia in front of 20,000 + fans with the odd sponsor they have heard of, goodness me they could end up thinking the sport was cool and worth a second look and maybe venture down to their local track. Far better that the public see p!ss poor racing in front of one man and his dog with all the atmosphere of a mothers union meeting

Edited by Oldace
  • Like 2

Indeed, you dont want the general public seeing some of the best racing in the world in modern stadia in front of 20,000 + fans with the odd sponsor they have heard of

Erm...You can still see the GPs. They're on Eurosport. I'm sure it's been mentioned on this forum somewhere :blink:

What's being discussed here is the Elite League coverage, which has been improved with extra features rather than taking the cheap option of showing some unrelated filler from a GP.

• Like 2

Indeed, you dont want the general public seeing some of the best racing in the world in modern stadia in front of 20,000 + fans with the odd sponsor they have heard of, goodness me they could end up thinking the sport was cool and worth a second look and maybe venture down to their local track. Far better that the public see p!ss poor racing in front of one man and his dog with all the atmosphere of a mothers union meeting

But now the GPs are on Eurosport surely they are exposed to a wider audience. The forthcoming GP in Bydgoszcz was being plugged pretty hard during Sunday's BSB and Moto GP coverage.
  • Like 4

Excellent work by Sky. Clearly they recognise that sometimes breaks in the action are unavoidable, though I think speedway needs to sharpen up and provide a more 'slick' (not the track ;)) product, and has found a way to fill the gaps. The inside track gizmo works nicely with someone that can use it properly :P and is useful to newbies and possibly if it develops we might all start to learn a thing or two. The reports from the other track are a welcome addition too. :t:

I have to admit that I like the additions, who knows maybe Sky letting the GPs go is a good thing all round! :t:

Just added on drivvle if you ask me, just concentrate on the racing product rather than stop start with all the technical stuff that basically no-one needs to know about, anyone watching it for the first time would just be confused, probably the last season sky will cover it anyway.