British Speedway Forum
robert72

Message To The Leicester Promotor

It's interesting that why I admit i do tend to stick to making posts about the things that cause me concern about Leicester Speedway at present, rather than our on track success, it's surely important that rumours on the terraces of non payments to contractors, repossessions of important equipment, the strange situation with regards to Nemo's testimonial, open to all public arguments between main sponsors & our promoter, dangerous tracks, lower than expected average crowds and so on and on are not just ignored because we don't feel we can say anything for fear we will be blamed for harming the current promotion. As someone who wants to see Leicester Speedway a success i genuinely feel these are worrying times. Is that so wrong?

Mick.

I said along time ago the club is in a crisis,these are only a few points to a full story mick has mentioned,i agree with mick its worrying times for leicester speedway and i do hope DH does the right thing and puts it up for sale and let someone else take over and put things right and make leicester speedway a success.

I said along time ago the club is in a crisis,these are only a few points to a full story mick has mentioned,i agree with mick its worrying times for leicester speedway and i do hope DH does the right thing and puts it up for sale and let someone else take over and put things right and make leicester speedway a success.

robert you are becoming forgetful this is the only post out of 838 where you have not mentioned the track,can you please re-post and give the track a mention,cheers.

• Like 1

The problem would be finding a buyer, because its not an easy business to make money. It takes a lot of man hours to run, & if you put in 70+ hours a week into it, & dont make any money, your enthusiasm will quickly evaporate. It has been said before, but the best thing the fans could do, is raise the money to alter the track.

To be fair Mick I see your posts in a different light to those of Robert 72. You make a point and reply to other posts on the subject where Robert 72 just says the same thing over and over again. I think the Newport situation is a fair comparison because it is a very similar situation where one or two people just go way over the top while the majority discuss the matter more responsibly. Possibly Plymouth is similar but I think the posts from Weymouth supporters were generally positive until very near the end. My point is that people should be careful what they wish for because what seems blindingly obvious to some as the way to success may not work after all.

Newport is a good choice for similarity on quite a few points , very similar promoters (although I believe Hemsley to be a fair bit more wealthy than Tim Stone ) Losing sponsors who are putting large amounts into the club through total arrogance , a poor racetrack in relatively nice surroundings . By the time the Malletts took over at Newport and started to rectify some of the faults ,although they had a few of their own . It was too late . the crowd had fallen below MVP and extinction was inevitable . speedway's Limited appeal meant that almost everyone interested had at sometime attended and for various reasons had chosen not to return , so in the end Newport's demise was inevitable . Leicester are into the downward spiral and have the added millstone of other successful sports teams pitching their wares to the same populus something which Newport did not have . it's not too late for Leicester just yet as it's location makes it easily accessible to support from other teams , but they will only attend if they are going to be entertained which currently they are not, however at this point providing decent entertainment would bring them back and help to stem the tide , certainly 72's repeated postings re the track make him sound as repetitive as a stuck record but I believe this is borne from concern rather than animosity , certainly no worse than the constantly abusive posts by some or the silly sit back and listen to the band while the ship sinks in icy waters posts made repeatedly by a few . suggestions that supporters should raise funds for track alterations are a waste of time , by now I should think everyone would have have gathered that David Hemsley thinks the track is fine ,so why would he alter it even if someone else paid ? better use of time and resources would be to buy a Tractor and some decent shale . at least that way, there would be a chance of good preparation providing some of the lacking entertainment without having to deflate Hemsleys ego .

• Like 3

. It has been said before, but the best thing the fans could do, is raise the money to alter the track.

This has also been answered in the post that follows by Jim The Whipper. i don't think this is an option as Mr Hemsley doesn't want to change the track. Had he thought this was an avenue he wanted to go down he could have changed the track by now, and at no financial outlay to himself. That i'm fairly certain of so to speak. The issues we currently have, as many mentioned on the Glasgow meeting thread, was that it would appear that the tractors, bowser and all the track equipment had disappeared during the week of that meeting and only a last ditch rental of a monster tractor allowed some last minute preparation. Not enough though as the track had huge holes in it was, frankly, dangerous.

Edited by volty

The problem would be finding a buyer, because its not an easy business to make money. It takes a lot of man hours to run, & if you put in 70+ hours a week into it, & dont make any money, your enthusiasm will quickly evaporate. It has been said before, but the best thing the fans could do, is raise the money to alter the track.

There were and still are a lot of helpful volunteers at Beaumont Park. Quite a lot have left because of Hemsley. That time would be shared across a decent number of people. Ermolenko was the very first to go and then it just continued.

As for this raise the money, I find that disappointing in two aspects when people suggest that.

Firstly you wouldn't expect any business to get it's customer to pay for the business' mistake.

Secondarily, there were volunteers/fans who helped build the 'stadium' under Hemsley's direction. It would be particularly gutting to hear that they would be expected to put money down in order to correct the track. All those hours being considered a loss.

We can moan about the track all day long - regardless of how it's dressed up, it's a considerable chunk of money. What is more worrying is the recent news of falling out with sponsors, issues with the tractor hire etc. etc. That suggests a cashflow issue. Didn't Hemsley dismiss the woman who did the books recently?

Edited by Hazzman
  • Like 1

Can't believe some suggest the fans should pay to alter the track! The fans have contributed plenty, both before the stadium opened and plenty more since. And what would they get in return apart from what they should have had in the first place? The track is the responsibility of the owner, and the sad thing is, if he'd just listened to what people were saying when the track was being put down there would not be this problem. He thought he knew best - and he still does. I don't think anyone can come up with the perfect solution because ultimately it's his business and all the decisions come from him.

• Like 1

There were and still are a lot of helpful volunteers at Beaumont Park. Quite a lot have left because of Hemsley. That time would be shared across a decent number of people. Ermolenko was the very first to go and then it just continued.

As for this raise the money, I find that disappointing in two aspects when people suggest that.

Firstly you wouldn't expect any business to get it's customer to pay for the business' mistake.

Secondarily, there were volunteers/fans who helped build the 'stadium' under Hemsley's direction. It would be particularly gutting to hear that they would be expected to put money down in order to correct the track. All those hours being considered a loss.

We can moan about the track all day long - regardless of how it's dressed up, it's a considerable chunk of money. What is more worrying is the recent news of falling out with sponsors, issues with the tractor hire etc. etc. That suggests a cashflow issue. Didn't Hemsley dismiss the woman who did the books recently?

I think the woman your on about is the co-promotors wife who had done an awful amount of work up there. people told me i didnt know what i was on about months ago when i said it was a club in crisis,its sad to say but its in a real mess and i fear for its future under DH.

Lets hope that DH doesnt go down the Mallets route to self destruction. After all the hard work put in by a lot of people, it would be a tragedy if Leicester was lost to speedway again. The track maintenance equipment issue is a worry, because rider safety has to be priority.

• Like 1

In view of some of the problems at Leicester - do Supporters really think that 'having a go' is helping? If I were DH reading this Thread - perhaps I would dig my heels in even more.

In view of some of the problems at Leicester - do Supporters really think that 'having a go' is helping? If I were DH reading this Thread - perhaps I would dig my heels in even more.

DH is known for digging his heels in, can be a good trait in certain circumstances of course, remains to be seen if this is one of those instances.

Hazzman - Linda Jones resigned before the season got under way.

What you define as 'having a go', I would define as 'constructive criticism'.

The customer is always right remember.

• Like 1

What you define as 'having a go', I would define as 'constructive criticism'.

The customer is always right remember.

Not if the Customer ends up getting the whole shebang closed down. Just WHO does that benefit?

• Like 1

Not if the Customer ends up getting the whole shebang closed down. Just WHO does that benefit?

I am lost to why you come on a leicester thread spouting off yet you hav'nt put any money into the club, why dont you use your time supporting your local team newcastle and be thankful you have speedway up there and let us discuss our local club that many of us have funded yet have had enough of the way its being run.

am i the only one who doesnt see leicester lions surviving under the current promotion.