British Speedway Forum
robert72

Message To The Leicester Promotor

What an ignorant post! And insults aside, whether you like Sam or not, and I accept that's your prerogative of course, at least get your main fact right.

Sam was not "disposed of" at all. It was his decision to finally walk away from Leicester Speedway after his efforts to resolve the issues were met with silence and non-communication. That said, he really did not want to leave having invested so much time and effort into the project, and having found various financial backers who were willing to back Leicester, but his role had become untenable given the situation he was faced with. That in itself is a long story.

At the time I must admit his departure from the project really disappointed me. I liked Sam and enjoyed not only his company but also the wealth of speedway knowledge and contacts he brought to the project, something that we hadn't got on board until his arrival. Those of us remaining on the organising committee were told one thing but having made the effort to find out from Sam himself shortly afterwards I fully appreciate why he felt he had no choice.

There are always two sides to a story and Sam has kept his counsel for the most part on this subject. He certainly doesn't want dirty laundry airing on a public forum and I respect that. Maybe he's saving it up for part 2 of his autobiography ;) . I certainly hope so.

For me personally, Sam's departure was the beginning of disunity creeping into what had previously been a united effort and the 'committee' gradually became an inept entity, only serving to do all the dogsbody work ahead of the opening. Opinions and suggestions mattered little, even from people who had played such a huge role in the whole project such as Ken Naylor, leading to his eventual walking away too (though there's a much longer story behind that too).

I appreciate all this is history now but the reason I say this is because it appears to me that the issues that started back then still prevail today, and are behind a lot of what is causing problems three years down the line. Just an opinion.

Good Post LionsDen. :t::approve:

So if you know him that well then what happened ?

Have a proper read of LionsDen's Post above ( the highlighted bit). It clearly states that he is keeping a confidence. I respect and admire him for that. :approve:

So if you know him that well then what happened ?

not for me to say,ask him yourself but not so sure he will disclose anything with you.

the past is well behind us and we cant change any of that so time to move on.

Seems ironic considering the nature of the sport....... gone full circle ........again

Why should someone with the brain the size of a pea have any input into any decisions?

Whether it's right or wrong, business have to make decisions which take into account the idiots, cretins and thicko's. Particularly in sports where it's often those who are your most loyal fans.

I have yet to hear a good argument for why Hemsley shouldn't have just played it straight and said the money wasn't there to carry out the improvements. It could have even been done in a decent PR fashion of 'we are a developing club, building our resources etc. etc.' The way it's been promised for two years means people feel cheated.

Edited by Hazzman
  • Like 3

A promoter being honest? That will be a first. :lol:

A promoter being honest? That will be a first. :lol:

They are NOT as bad as Politicians Gemini - nobody is!!

• Like 1

Seems ironic considering the nature of the sport....... gone full circle ........again

so what do we talk about Tina. You always do these posts yet i'm at a loss to the different things we could be talking about. I make a concerted effort to talk about the issues as i see them at Leicester, as do many on here. True that there are only so many issues that can happen at a Speedway... Track, Team, Stadium, Management (and it seems weather!). Should you choose to actually ignore the drivel that comes from the usual 2 or 3 and rather concentrate on the people actually making an effort to engage in meaningful debate then the Leicester threads, and this one in particular, has some decent debate going on, that's why it's still going on. I have to say, even has a bit of well placed, well thought out humour as well (see Jim the Whippers beans analogy). Just off the top of my head i can think of 40-38, Lionsden, Leicesterlion, hazzman, lionstigers, glennylion, nobblytriers, nigtshift, halifaxtiger, nobrakes, fanmale, oneandtwohalfs, flagrag, vulcan62, roy, speedflash and on and on all making decent contributions to the ongoing debates (though accepted they may not be what you appear to want to read).

Maybe you might tell us what we should be talking about or leading the threads in the direction you feel we should be heading in.. maybe it's which Leicester rider has the nicest hair or best kevlars or how superfine it is to be on a 7 match winning streak. Personally though, i feel the likes of Facebook cover that aspect of fandom well enough and that's why i'm here rather than there.

As an example, the last home meeting, Leicester lost all the track equipment and we appeared to have a very last minute, totally inappropriately sized replacement tractor, incapable of the doing the job required, and ended up with a track with big holes in it that was dangerous. The reasons for this situation occuring looks like something that need commenting and debating on to me. Maybe not to mrcts, long eye, tsunami, jenga or yourself but it does to me

Mick.

Edited by volty
  • Like 2

Whether it's right or wrong, business have to make decisions which take into account the idiots, cretins and thicko's. Particularly in sports where it's often those who are your most loyal fans.

I have yet to hear a good argument for why Hemsley shouldn't have just played it straight and said the money wasn't there to carry out the improvements. It could have even been done in a decent PR fashion of 'we are a developing club, building our resources etc. etc.' The way it's been promised for two years means people feel cheated.

You make a good point about money but he was going to move the lions into the expensive elite league.

Didn't go on Saturday night as I took the opportunity to support an ex Lion in action elsewhere. Seems I missed one of the better meetings at BP sadly. Glad to hear that the racing was better than normal and let's hope it continues. Whilst I watched some very entertaining racing myself, I was very alarmed at what looked like a very low crowd of about 500. Hopefully not a sign of things to come at Leicester.

Typically Saturday was the first time in a while that had a free evening. I looked outside at 7pm and didn't fancy facing the howling wind. More the fool me if it was a great meeting. Hope it continually happens and I go up to Beaumont Park not caring about the weather.

No mention about Saturday then? I take it you didn't go or you did and haven't got the knackers to say anything remotely positive about Leicester speedway.

I think it sticks in Voltys craw too to find anything other than doom and gloom at the lions but at least his posts are interesting.

As a matter of interest, did you think what happened post meeting on Saturday was "positive" mrcts? Sounds like the racing was, which is very positive, but the tantrum directed at the riders has annoyed, disappointed and upset a lot of people, even including committed fans such as Neb. And most importantly, it's deflected attention from what sounded like a great night's entertainment for once.

This season, in the public domain alone, he has slagged off the fans in the programme, had a row with one of his main sponsors and now had this very public slanging match with his riders too! You can defend him, as you obviously do, but let's face it, he doesn't make it easy for you does he? On the other hand, he continually makes it really easy for people to criticise. Maybe if he kept his head down for a bit and allowed people like Glyn Taylor and the table topping team of riders to just get on with their jobs it would all be a lot more 'positive'.

EDIT: Just see your post in the Lions v Rebels thread and accept you're not an apologist for the promoter. However, my point is a general one about Leicester Speedway and how it's the promoter himself who is making it hard for people to comment positively.

Edited by LionsDen

As a matter of interest, did you think what happened post meeting on Saturday was "positive" mrcts? Sounds like the racing was, which is very positive, but the tantrum directed at the riders has annoyed, disappointed and upset a lot of people, even including committed fans such as Neb. And most importantly, it's deflected attention from what sounded like a great night's entertainment for once.

This season, in the public domain alone, he has slagged off the fans in the programme, had a row with one of his main sponsors and now had this very public slanging match with his riders too! You can defend him, as you obviously do, but let's face it, he doesn't make it easy for you does he? On the other hand, he continually makes it really easy for people to criticise. Maybe if he kept his head down for a bit and allowed people like Glyn Taylor and the table topping team of riders to just get on with their jobs it would all be a lot more 'positive'.

All i know is the comments posted on here i didnt hear or see anything myself,I have never defended him but also I've never slagged him off,what he does is up to himself.

It's a hard world professional sport and speedway in particular is a tough way to make a living so all credit to the riders,but why should they be immune from criticism in the workplace if it is warranted.

All i know is the comments posted on here i didnt hear or see anything myself,I have never defended him but also I've never slagged him off,what he does is up to himself.

It's a hard world professional sport and speedway in particular is a tough way to make a living so all credit to the riders,but why should they be immune from criticism in the workplace if it is warranted.

criticism i am sure they can handle being downright disrespectful to them is another matter a happy team is a winning team expect some losses now.