British Speedway Forum
Shaleshifter

Belle Vue Aces Vs Poole Pirates 29/4/2013

I find it hard to believe that after all the time and money Gordon and Mort and now George Carswell have put into getting B Vue a new purpose built stadium, that they would pull a stupid stunt like is being suggested and put all that a risk just because 2 riders are stuck overseas. Having said that if it is shown they have cheated to get the match off the SCB should deal with it swiftly and severely including refunds to all fans who have valid receipts for monies spent.

It was due on tv wasn't it? That's the reason it was called off, to save the embarrassment to the sport, SKY, with 2 riders not available and so a one sided meeting?

What on earth are these riders playing at????

It was due on tv wasn't it? That's the reason it was called off, to save the embarrassment to the sport, SKY, with 2 riders not available and so a one sided meeting?

What on earth are these riders playing at????

It was never going to be on tv, go back to sleep.

Joking and absent riders aside, I am not sure that there is much difference between the call off at Belle Vue and the call off at Rye House on Saturday.

I certainly know Plymouth fans who had booked accommodation so they could travel on to Newcastle the next day.

EDIT: Beat me to it, Dave.

Wasnt the inform Tyson Nelson missing from Rye House on Saturday????...............

Why are speedway promoters allowed to call a match off without a referee inspecting the track first?

I'm not sure stopping a burst from a main is down to simply turning off a stop cock if that pipe is serving other adresses in the area. If the burst was a few feet under the surface it wouldn't necessarily leave the area flooded, but the ground would be saturated. As for all the speculation and hot air and general bollocks that is typical of this website, I bet the Poole riders and promoter would be bleating if the match was due to go ahead and all the Belle Vue riders were present if faced with those track conditions. The proof will be when and if the men from United Utilities turn up to dig a hole in the track, not on the opinion of terminally whining speedway fans.

• Like 3

Obvious coincidence that it happens on a race day, with the top two home riders missing. Such rotten luck :rofl:

I find it hard to believe that after all the time and money Gordon and Mort and now George Carswell have put into getting B Vue a new purpose built stadium, that they would pull a stupid stunt like is being suggested and put all that a risk just because 2 riders are stuck overseas. Having said that if it is shown they have cheated to get the match off the SCB should deal with it swiftly and severely including refunds to all fans who have valid receipts for monies spent.

How on earth would that be administered, Any one from Poole who happened to fill their car yesterday and got a receipt would claim. Equally hom many keep petrol receipts anyway It would be impossible

Why are speedway promoters allowed to call a match off without a referee inspecting the track first?

The jurisdiction of the ref only starts a couple of hours prior to the start, up to that the home promotion make the decision, thats why this had to be done fairly early because once the ref arrived he obviously wouldn't sanction a rain off on a perfect track

One thing for certain though, would never have happened if Eurosport had the league matches instead of SKY

Edited by Oldace

It wasn't a rain off!

OK then just for the pedantic the ref would unlikely sanction " a postponement caused by a slight puddle on the second bend due to a burst water main that was likely done deliberately with a hosepipe because two riders were still in Poland" off

It was never going to be on tv, go back to sleep.

SKY would've of had someone there, Ermolenko, that's the norm now . .

I'm not sure stopping a burst from a main is down to simply turning off a stop cock if that pipe is serving other adresses in the area. If the burst was a few feet under the surface it wouldn't necessarily leave the area flooded, but the ground would be saturated.

A water main burst would involve a bit more than a stop cock turning off as, and the clue is in the name, a main is a pipe that serves a wide area.

They are generally about a metre down and when they burst they tend to cause a hell of a lot of flooding as they are under high pressure. The amount of water that comes out of them, even a 4" main, is staggering to behold and it would leave the immediate area flooded and not just saturate the ground.

It was obviously NOT a water main and more likely simply have been a plastic service pipe. They tend to be put in by a contractor or even the landlord and are usualy a few inches (sometimes a lot less) below ground and can be broken simply by pushing a spade into the soil.

They are turned off by the simple act of turning a stop cock.

When located they can be stopped by the even simpler act of bending the alkathene 180 degrees and holding it firmly in your fist.

• Like 1

SKY would've of had someone there, Ermolenko, that's the norm now . .

WHOOSH

I really hope that BV prove to be innocent over this. I feel sorry for the fans. They have finally had something to cheer about with a good start to the season and this happens. If BV are guilty and it is proven that they had riders unavailable then I think they should have 6 points or so deducted and made to race the match using the riders that were available to them last night. Regarding whether this could or cant be a water main, well of course it can. Someone on here suggested that water mains are high pressure and would cause a lot of flooding. Well that is not always the case. Some water mains only have around 1 bar and they can have anything from a small trickle to quite a flood. It is possible that the leak would not have been noticed until the ground was sodden and then it could take a while to work out where its coming from and what to turn off. I am not saying they are innocent but just trying to make the point that they could be. sorry about my paragraphing but my enter key wont work in this post!!

Edited by stevec

A water main burst would involve a bit more than a stop cock turning off as, and the clue is in the name, a main is a pipe that serves a wide area.

They are generally about a metre down and when they burst they tend to cause a hell of a lot of flooding as they are under high pressure. The amount of water that comes out of them, even a 4" main, is staggering to behold and it would leave the immediate area flooded and not just saturate the ground.

It was obviously NOT a water main and more likely simply have been a plastic service pipe. They tend to be put in by a contractor or even the landlord and are usualy a few inches (sometimes a lot less) below ground and can be broken simply by pushing a spade into the soil.

They are turned off by the simple act of turning a stop cock.

When located they can be stopped by the even simpler act of bending the alkathene 180 degrees and holding it firmly in your fist.

So assuming it was a geniune burst you think with water still leeching out onto the track they would have time to dig down, repair it, put the track back together and let it dry sufficiently to bind together before a 7.30pm start?

So assuming it was a geniune burst you think with water still leeching out onto the track they would have time to dig down, repair it, put the track back together and let it dry sufficiently to bind together before a 7.30pm start?

I think most of the Forum are assuming it wasn't.