British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

Chris Harris Cardiff Wild Card

Nicholls has had many chances to, so its no argument saying it should have gone to him.

BSI make the decision, Harris as a former British GP winner was their pick. That's it, end of.

It doesn't matter how many chances you've had if you're still better than the other options. Hopefully by this time next year Craig Cook will have progressed further and be a better rider than Harris on his own merits.

Nicholls has had many chances to, so its no argument saying it should have gone to him.

It doesn't matter how many chances you've had if you're still better than the other options.

But Harris has had far more chances to impress than Nicholls, and any other rider in World Speedway (by a long-shot). Also, as far as I can remember, Scott earned his place in the series by bothering to qualify.

Like I said, I disagree with this scrounging for GP charity anyway, and would much rather see riders actually work for their place.

The main issue here is why are BSI so obsessed with one very mediocre rider?

JT.

Edited by JT

Because said mediocre rider is still better than the other options. The more you argue against it, the more you argue for it.

Because said mediocre rider is still better than the other options. The more you argue against it, the more you argue for it.

Fair enough, you're entitled to your side of things and although I don't agree, I appreciate where you're coming from.

To be honest, I don't know why I'm getting so worked up about it. I'll probably spend half the Grand Prix slightly blotto anyway!

Hey ho!

JT.

Well done Scott Nichols in getting the wild card for finishing second behind Tai...... Oh wait......... Never Mind

Well Done Bomber on scoring the 2nd most number of points and being British number 2, oh, wait!

But Harris has had far more chances to impress than Nicholls, and any other rider in World Speedway (by a long-shot). Also, as far as I can remember, Scott earned his place in the series by bothering to qualify.

Nicholls = 8 seasons in the GPs and 3 wildcards

Harris = 6 seasons in the GPs and 1 wildcard (technically, a late injury call up/reserve)

Harris qualified once, Scott twice. Looks to me they're about the same level, Bomber once finished 4th (5th on a technicality) while Scott managed 7th. But Harris has not had "far more changed to impress than Nicholls". I don't see how any one can argue for one and not the other (or against one and not the other). They're equally as deserving/undeserving. But one of them has won a British GP and that will always help sell it to the media rather than the guy who once made a final and plowed through the tapes.

Chris has been lucky he riding in an era where he is the only Brit even remotely capable of being a GP rider so got it by virtue of being the best of a bad bunch but thats hardly his fault. Scott was similar before him and was then unlucky that Bomber come along and won a GP.

Edited by SCB

As you and I both know SCB.. if the place had been given to Nicholls, the same folk would be moaning just as they did last year when he actually won the British Final.

Edited by BWitcher

As you and I both know SCB.. if the place had been given to Nicholls, the same folk would be moaning just as they did last year when he actually won the British Final.

Exactly, it would be "old rider", "past it", "never has been", "had his chance", "relied on charity". He is no different to Bomber but it had to be one of them two, Bomber probably steals it because of his GP win - yes before anyone says it, he is still dining on that but until another British rider can beat him, that GP win will always tip him over the edge when it comes down to being a close run thing as it currently is between Scott and Bomber. the likes of Kennett, King and Cook are not even in it atm IMO.

How exactly is Cook meant to get better if he doesnt get the oppoutunities Harris is afforded?? As ive said before i believe Cook would of been good for 3-4 points and learnt an awful lot Harris wont be much good for any more so whats the point? Going by many on this thread people couldnt give a monkeys about Harris riding so its hardly based around him being so popular

How exactly is Cook meant to get better if he doesnt get the oppoutunities Harris is afforded?? As ive said before i believe Cook would of been good for 3-4 points and learnt an awful lot Harris wont be much good for any more so whats the point? Going by many on this thread people couldnt give a monkeys about Harris riding so its hardly based around him being so popular

One GP, so 5, 6 or 7 rides is not going to turn someone from good to excellent. If he wants to improve why not ride in Sweden and/or Poland? Just throwing someone in a one off GP will not make them a GP worthy rider.

The same way as Harris, Nicholls, Woffinden got better. That didn't happen from riding in the GP's, that happened from developing through league racing which Cook is doing. This time next year he may be ready.

Rubblish.

'Rubblish' says Starman.

So you are claiming Cook, Warrell, Garrity etc are better riders at this point than Chris Harris?

Probably alone in my views, but , in life, when something is given it is appreciated far less then had it been earn't. The fact that it was Bomber Harris, who was been given a Cardiff slot is irrelevant . The fact that any rider that was chosen, will have little bearing on the Cardiff SGP, all it has done is devalued the British Championship even more then it already is. When compared with other countries, our national standard is a joke. The meeting on Monday was contested by the few top riders we have, the rest was made up by riders from the lower league. For the British Champs to have some substance and purpose, it needed that qualification to matter............ sadly it was taken away......

A thread like this shows how utterly irrelevant speedway in the UK has become in terms of global speedway.

Even the Yanks are showing they have the ability to better themselves whilst we here argue over a few pointless crumbs that don't really matter.

Harris or Uncle Tom Cobley makes little difference as we have only one talent and he learned HIS trade in Australia.

If he won the thing it would still not be a triumph for British speedway. He may be a Brit but he came through a tried and tested system somewhere else than here.

Not ONE rider of the current crop that came through OUR system would challenge for a GP even if you gave them 3 point start.

Any Yes I know Woffy went from NL to EL but he learned his trade in OZ not HERE.

Well Done Bomber on scoring the 2nd most number of points and being British number 2, oh, wait!

Nicholls = 8 seasons in the GPs and 3 wildcards

Harris = 6 seasons in the GPs and 1 wildcard (technically, a late injury call up/reserve)

Harris qualified once, Scott twice. Looks to me they're about the same level, Bomber once finished 4th (5th on a technicality) while Scott managed 7th. But Harris has not had "far more changed to impress than Nicholls". I don't see how any one can argue for one and not the other (or against one and not the other). They're equally as deserving/undeserving. But one of them has won a British GP and that will always help sell it to the media rather than the guy who once made a final and plowed through the tapes.

Chris has been lucky he riding in an era where he is the only Brit even remotely capable of being a GP rider so got it by virtue of being the best of a bad bunch but thats hardly his fault. Scott was similar before him and was then unlucky that Bomber come along and won a GP.

Somethign wrong with your stats there. I make it Nicholls qualified 3 times out of 8 seasons, Harris only qualified once out of 6. However the debate between the two is not really at issue, it's the lack of any announcement by the BSPA that the British Final no longer carried any GP incentive, when they knew a long time ago, that sticks in the throat. BSI have nominated Harris in my view as they think he's the best choice to help with their promotion of the event - not because he's the most deserving recipient.

• Like 1