British Speedway Forum

I would suggest they are just fulfilling their commitment to however many meetings they are supposed to be showing as quickly as possible.

one would imagine that this 'commitment' would include the playoffs and the playoff final.

I seriously doubt sky are planning on ditching live speedway part way through the season. If they were going to do that then they wouldn't introduce the inside track feature and they wouldn't put other crews at different tracks to report scores back.

• Like 2

one would imagine that this 'commitment' would include the playoffs and the playoff final.

I seriously doubt sky are planning on ditching live speedway part way through the season. If they were going to do that then they wouldn't introduce the inside track feature and they wouldn't put other crews at different tracks to report scores back.

Agreed Dave.

I honestly believe that Live League Speedway will be back next year - SKY are obviously trying these new innovations in order to improve their production.

• Like 1

Agreed Dave.

I honestly believe that Live League Speedway will be back next year - SKY are obviously trying these new innovations in order to improve their production.

I think it will probably depend on how many live rain offs we get - I know nobody can predict the weather but we all know how much it costs Sky when they have to call off a live meeting and last year probably hit Sky in the pocket quite hard.

If this year ends up as bad as 2012 I think they may be inclined to drop it, but if that were to happen I think Eurosport may be interested in picking that up as well.

If we have a fairly decent 2013 I can't see why they won't renew it. It'll probably be on a yearly rolling contract to keep things but that's my opinion anyhow.

I can't see how you can say that? for the past 2 weeks we've had a live meeting 2 days on the trot, surely if Sky weren't bothered we wouldn't be getting any PL fixtures? They're pushing more if anything, they're probably just not interested in any fixtures that are on this week.

Yes, I just thought there may have been some cost-benefit in equipment hire and staff for having them used for two consecutive nights.

I'm sure Flagrag will tell us.

Edited by Grand Central

Why on earth do people think SKY will renew their deal for the Elite & Premier League when they have dumped the far superior GP's which cost a fraction of the league stuff. Lets not forget the GP's were on a long time before any Elite or Premier League Speedway.

Sky have got nothing to use to pad out coverage now that they don't have the GPs. Hence a bit more waffle at the end of matches that finish early, the Big Telly witch Chris Louis & reports from other tracks in case there's a pile up or rain. As far as the irregular coverage - that's what happens with filler. Not much football last couple of weeks as the European competitions reach their conclusions (without British involvement in the main), so they need filler. This week big games every night of the week as the Football League Play Offs begin, so they don't need filler.

Why on earth do people think SKY will renew their deal for the Elite & Premier League when they have dumped the far superior GP's which cost a fraction of the league stuff. Lets not forget the GP's were on a long time before any Elite or Premier League Speedway.

I thought it was just that Sky have plenty of Live action in the bag for Saturday nights, so an out of contract SGP had little bargaining power with them.

Whilst Summer Mondays need a bit of Live stuff to be bought in and that EL contract still had a year to run.

If they still need something to fill those spots in 2014, I presume they would still consider a new contract ... At the right price.

I can't see how you can say that? for the past 2 weeks we've had a live meeting 2 days on the trot, surely if Sky weren't bothered we wouldn't be getting any PL fixtures? They're pushing more if anything, they're probably just not interested in any fixtures that are on this week.

Oldace hopes that is the case, he wants speedway in the UK to disappear so that himself and Moxey63 can be the last 2 posters on this forum posting " I told you so" to each other.

Edited by jimmy jimmy
  • Like 5

THE big factor, along with cost, when Sky make up their minds will be scheduling. That was the reason they dumped the GPs... too many other Saturday live events going on which, in their minds, came first.

This year they are experimenting with Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Perhaps they will see an advantage in having a sport that can be flexible and slotted into schedules on different nights. Just a thought.

Because Saturday night TV is so much harder to get ratings for.

SGP series gets killed by Doctor Who, X-Factor, The Voice and all those other shows.

I think it will probably depend on how many live rain offs we get - I know nobody can predict the weather but we all know how much it costs Sky when they have to call off a live meeting and last year probably hit Sky in the pocket quite hard.

If this year ends up as bad as 2012 I think they may be inclined to drop it, but if that were to happen I think Eurosport may be interested in picking that up as well.

If we have a fairly decent 2013 I can't see why they won't renew it. It'll probably be on a yearly rolling contract to keep things but that's my opinion anyhow.

So why does it cost Sky so much more money if there is a rain off.? Say it costs Sky £20,000 to put a meeting on each Monday . How does it cost them more is the meeting is called off. Surely it would cost them less money if the match is called off early. as it will save them traveling costs. Sky do not get any more or less income if the meeting is on or off.

THE big factor, along with cost, when Sky make up their minds will be scheduling. That was the reason they dumped the GPs... too many other Saturday live events going on which, in their minds, came first.

This year they are experimenting with Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Perhaps they will see an advantage in having a sport that can be flexible and slotted into schedules on different nights. Just a thought.

It wasn't the reason you were citing at the time. The nonsense of the overspend on football was purely the reason back then

Oldace hopes that is the case, he wants speedway in the UK to disappear so that himself and Moxey63 can be the last 2 posters on this forum posting " I told you so" to each other.

Are you 12 years old or do you just act it, you are very convincing if its just an act

So why does it cost Sky so much more money if there is a rain off.? Say it costs Sky £20,000 to put a meeting on each Monday . How does it cost them more is the meeting is called off. Surely it would cost them less money if the match is called off early. as it will save them traveling costs. Sky do not get any more or less income if the meeting is on or off.

I wouldn't say it cost them more money, what I meant that it is wasted money. They have to pay a crew to stay at the track and then show a slew of repeats and older meetings to fill the time.

The thing about this is that I can imagine more than 50% of viewers will turn off at this point so Sky will have lost out big time

Getting the pictures from where exactly?

Getting the pictures from where exactly?

I'm sure they're more than capable of getting their own, I wasn't implying that there is a 'feed' like the GPs.