British Speedway Forum
Shadders

Rye House V Sheffield (koc 1st Leg)... 11th May @ 8pm

All we know of the situation is here:

http://speedwaygb.co/news.php?extend.20252

Blame can be given to all parties in some part, but it would be ridiculous to put the blame completely on those in charge at Rye House with so many unanswered questions.

The promotion were told Nelson couldn't travel to the Ukraine, were they told that this meant he could ride in the Cup meeting at Rye? Only they know the answer to that.

Teams are supposed to be declared for meetings days in advance. We should surely have declared a guest for Nelson already as he was supposed to be in the Ukraine on Saturday and where was said guest on Saturday in case something like this happened?

As for the Ukraine situation, this is an international meeting, Rye House should not be responsible for Nelson getting to the meeting or into the country. That is down to the rider himself and the Australian Speedway governing bodies. What is their take on this?

We are also quick to say we had to put up with 3 races with 3 riders only, the Ukrainian fans had to endure three rider races due to the incident too I'm sure.

Why was the ban only made known to the rider and promotion twenty minutes before tapes up at Rye House?

Why was there no replacement rider in the Ukraine, had they been told Nelson wasn't going to be in the meeting?

There's plenty more question marks but it's impossible for anyone to give an informed opinion as there is such a cloud of mystery surrounding what happened and I honestly doubt we will ever find out the true story.

• Like 1

Len said his piece in public. If that version is not true fine him for bringing the sport into disrepute. But if his version is true and at the moment we have no reason to believe it is nt then its a mockery. He must have thought Nelson was cleared to ride because he could have named boxall or someone at number 8.If his version is right how do the club get compensated for the loss of a prestigious cup semi final - if they end up losing over two legs?

Was at this meeting and one important element which has not really been commented upon is the fact that it actually went ahead. I have zero respect usually for Uncle Len but feel he did the moral right thing in getting the meeting up and running. Credit to the ref too, who I felt had it totally wrong in calling for a 15 minute delay yet had it spot on as the rain stopped and saw us to the end. No rider parade (excellent idea) or interval (other than the imposed 15 minute rain delay, even better idea) meant it was all over and done within a sensible time too.

Crowd was terrible but I have seen far worse ones referred to as "bumper” and feel that it could have in part been as a result of too many matches being cancelled at the drop of a hat previously. Hopefully if it was known promoters would try everything to get a match on maybe people would travel more often in such conditions. Having turned up at bone dry tracks to see meeting off signs owing to rain means many just don't try when it is actually wet.

Regarding the Nelson situation there are too many theories and I don't know any more than any other poster but I admit that I don't. Maybe sight of a dated receipt for the visa application would prove whether or not a genuine attempt had been made to get one. I know it's a different country but it took a week to get a visa for Russia when I last went. With a personal visit and a serious supplement charged to have it done so quickly I got mine in 48 hours. Assuming an application was made in a reasonable time a dated copy of the response should have verified a rejection reason, which should also be admissible. If these two documents are shown case proved. If not possibility of a fast one being pulled supports the SCB action. The viewing public, yes including me, would only have suffered if it was proved an application was made in time and rejection received less than 24 hours before. Nelson's sighting at the stadium on Friday should have suggested he was never going so sufficient time to get a handle on matters in advance and get a guest for Jason Bunyan.

There have been worse meetings in Hoddesden too but potentially no worse team managers than for Sheffield. Whilst it was obvious before the start that Joe Haines only chance of a r/r ride was in heat 14 it was equally obvious that he was having an appalling night. With a 3-3 guaranteed why bring Steady out in heat 10 to partner him when a reserve would have got at least a point. The Tigers were blatantly going to concede a 5-1 in the penultimate race with Joe as r/r whereas Steady could have won it. Nothing is guaranteed as was proved by Stead having no wins on the night but it would have shown more awareness by the (mis)management team.

Thankfully Wells turned up and pity for Koppe who made two excellent gates only for the races to be called back. Felt so sorry for the guy as he must feel he is due for the chop and in a better team would be more able to ride out of a bad spell.

Final comment is that Olly Allen was also programmed to race at Eastbourne on the same night. Is there a more stupid rule than doubling up / down creating such situations? On a positive level this rule at least puts more riders out of work so should be applauded.

:mad:

Edited by Mr Ore

More words from Len Silver on the Tyson Nelson visa problem with Ukraine -

http://www.harlowsta...30512013046.htm

At least from the way this reads it looks like Sheffield, or more specifically Hoggy, can be absolved from any blame of 3 rider races - the SCB, to my understanding, is separate from the BSPA managment committee. It actually reads that it was the Aussie team manager who was at fault for giving dodgy advice.

I would guess that the alternative to the 3 rider races would have been for Nelson to ignore the ban, to have ridden and then had his results expunged from the records at a later date, probably meaning that Sheffield would have had a much closer result.

Knowingly or unknowingly, Nelson broke the rules and was penalised as a consequence - in the grand scheme of things it probably won't matter as you'll come to Sheffield fired up and we'll be facing another Redcar scenario (especially given that Hall and Stead are both on the injured list).

Edited by Cue Ball

One thing is incorrect-Practice was not compulsory at that meeting.

That's interesting. It would also be interesting to know when Tyson Nelson was first advised that he was wanted as an Australia U21 representative for the round in Ukraine and why he was chasing up his visa - so it appears - the day before the meeting?

This may be slightly off tangent but is there a 'guesstimate' as to the attendance for Saturday's Rye House-Sheffield match and how does it compare with usual average attendances?

Does anyone have an idea in regard to the attendance Rye House v Sheffield? Was it much down compared to usual crowds at the Hoddesdon track?

Edited by Guest

Among all the various angles that can be blamed for Rye's line-up on Saturday, I don't think anyone's pointed out yet that Sheffield were the last team Rye wanted to be facing amid a dispute over Tyson Nelson's eligibility.

That's because Sheffield couldn't successfully obtain the right visa for him when they wanted to include him for the season before he made his Rye debut.

In fact, Sheffield even listed him in the Owlerton racecard with the surname they'd used for his visa application when he rode there for the first time in Rye's team !!

So there was virtually no chance of Sheffield acting in any "best interest of speedway" when Saturday's situation cropped up.

Among all the various angles that can be blamed for Rye's line-up on Saturday, I don't think anyone's pointed out yet that Sheffield were the last team Rye wanted to be facing amid a dispute over Tyson Nelson's eligibility.

That's because Sheffield couldn't successfully obtain the right visa for him when they wanted to include him for the season before he made his Rye debut.

In fact, Sheffield even listed him in the Owlerton racecard with the surname they'd used for his visa application when he rode there for the first time in Rye's team !!

So there was virtually no chance of Sheffield acting in any "best interest of speedway" when Saturday's situation cropped up.

Never thought of that, well remembered!. Tyson may not be the only rider we've signed from under their noses. I reckon they'd have been hopeful Tai Woffinden would've been a Tiger when he went PL, with the potential transfer fee they missed out on when he moved to Wolves.

I thought Tai signed for Wolves and was then loaned to Rye?

My memory ain't so good therse days :icon_smile_clown:

What surname? This gets ever more intriguing.

Edited by Guest

Two things. Len said he was told that if Nelson rode that night he would be banned for the season. I can only gague the crowd from the stand facing the tapes which had about a third of the normal figure. However more sensible people might have gone under the covered stands.

What surname? This gets ever more intriguing.

A quick check through the historical part of the updates site confirmed that he was listed in the Owlerton racecard as Tyson Barber when Rye House were walloped 64-27 in a Premier League meeting on 28-July-2011.

Barber/Nelson scored 2 points at number-7 but had plenty of company among the lower scorers as Jordan Frampton's tactically-aided score on its own beat the rest of the Rockets 14-13 !!

Edited by arthur cross

A quick check through the historical part of the updates site confirmed that he was listed in the Owlerton racecard as Tyson Barber when Rye House were walloped 64-27 in a Premier League meeting on 28-July-2011.

Barber/Nelson scored 2 points at number-7 but had plenty of company among the lower scorers as Jordan Frampton's tactically-aided score on its own beat the rest of the Rockets 14-13 !!

It was later that season Tyson Nelson turned up in the Rye House-orbit when he completed the season in the Lakeside-Rye House National League team racing as Hackney. Why did Sheffield race him under the name Tyson Barber?

Two things. Len said he was told that if Nelson rode that night he would be banned for the season. I can only gague the crowd from the stand facing the tapes which had about a third of the normal figure. However more sensible people might have gone under the covered stands.

Is there a guesstimate figure on that 'third of a normal crowd" please?